Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
This thread is to discuss the facts and practical implications of the China ruling on airspace and Cathay crew flying through the airspace.

For non-CX impact on travel to HK, please go to this thread in HK/Macau https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong...ns-travel.html

If you would like to discuss the political motivations or opinions on this, please go to this thread in OMNI/PR https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...-protests.html
Print Wikipost

CX Banned (kind of) by China

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:13 am

China CITIC Bank Intl bans staff from traveling on CX, but don't CITIC own 17.5% of CX??

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...cathay-pacific
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CX HK
China CITIC Bank Intl bans staff from traveling on CX, but don't CITIC own 17.5% of CX??

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...cathay-pacific
CITIC Bank (HK) is a tiny player within the group of companies, but their shunning of CX is still significant.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
That was long time ago. CITIC sold its shares to CA and Swire in 2009. Before the CX-KA merger, CITIC used to be a major shareholder of KA.

In fact, recetly there were rumours that CITIC may want to buy HX shares. See https://www.scmp.com/business/compan...talks-buy-hong
Old Aug 21, 2022, 12:17 am

Moondog, I have great respect for you and all your contributions across the forums. But this is one point we have been through multiple times and I must say is misleading - sure, HNA is not "state owned", technically, but there is no question that the Chinese government has the final say on any important decisions, should it wish to intervene. There is no question on that. Doesn't matter if its Huawei or Tencent or Alibaba, just because it is not technically "state owned" (e.g. not fully controlled by the government), doesn't mean the Chinese government does not have absolute control whenever and however it sees fit. If you decide to not play ball, just take a look at Xiao Jianhua and his Tomorrow Group.

It is an important point to make clear. Textbook definitions will confuse those not familiar with the situation.
So common popular news is now reporting he is sentenced to 13 years. He got captured while in Hong Kong, even though China supposedly didn't have the authority to take him while there.

Is it dangerous to fly CX and transit through Hong Kong? I guess if you presume most of us are nobody important then no?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 2:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Gestapo aka the National Security Department isn't really targeting foreigners. Unless, you've actually publicly participated in an anti-China protest overseas, then, well, you know who you are.

It's kind of more like trying to transit North Korea pre-pandemic? Kim's not trying to mess with you, but then again, they aren't really after transit dollars - when that happens, they may leave you high and dry (e.g. misconnects) and not try and fix it.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: AA ExecPlatinum
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So common popular news is now reporting he is sentenced to 13 years. He got captured while in Hong Kong, even though China supposedly didn't have the authority to take him while there.

Is it dangerous to fly CX and transit through Hong Kong? I guess if you presume most of us are nobody important then no?
I'm wondering the same thing right now....
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Gestapo aka the National Security Department isn't really targeting foreigners. Unless, you've actually publicly participated in an anti-China protest overseas, then, well, you know who you are.

It's kind of more like trying to transit North Korea pre-pandemic? Kim's not trying to mess with you, but then again, they aren't really after transit dollars - when that happens, they may leave you high and dry (e.g. misconnects) and not try and fix it.
Would it be similar to visiting North Korea pre-pandemic?
Don't do anything stupid, keep a low profile, and nothing should happen to you. Though they are watching you.

There is absolutely no reason to transit North Korea, AFAIK, but there are potentially reasons to book a CX flight that has a connection in HKG.

I guess nobody knows, but does the list of transit passengers get passed on to the Chinese government? I would presume so. But as far as we know no stories of people getting pulled out for "questioning" while in transit, right?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlatinum
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Would it be similar to visiting North Korea pre-pandemic?
Don't do anything stupid, keep a low profile, and nothing should happen to you. Though they are watching you.

There is absolutely no reason to transit North Korea, AFAIK, but there are potentially reasons to book a CX flight that has a connection in HKG.

I guess nobody knows, but does the list of transit passengers get passed on to the Chinese government? I would presume so. But as far as we know no stories of people getting pulled out for "questioning" while in transit, right?
I ended up changing my itinerary and traveling through the middle-east instead of going through HKG. The risk just didn't feel worth saving an extra $1.5k.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by splatkid10
I ended up changing my itinerary and traveling through the middle-east instead of going through HKG. The risk just didn't feel worth saving an extra $1.5k.
I feel it is similar to taking routing through war areas. Why take the risk? I would've done the same in your shoes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.