Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zeltergiset
The hostility is weird. I think it's because it's relatively inexpensive to redeem CX F through those programmes, even if one does not fly AS at all, for example. Which results in CX F being less exclusive than some people here might like.
pretty much it, and the sign on bonus, purchase miles bonus, and what not. i dont remember the price points anymore but back then what you get as OW partners you can get with AS too. so in effect you can buy 150000 miles at maybe 1.5cpm so the F seat TPAC goes at 3kusd. had one paid in cash thats just about PE TPAC
percysmith likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by sxc
I don't think it's so much the exclusivity but that if you are a loyal CX customer saving to Asia Miles at its relatively low earn rates, it takes more points to redeem seats on CX with more restrictive rules than those who earned AA and AS miles much more easily. So it feels like the airline biting the hand that feeds them.
There is also the fact that there is limited availability, especially after the devaluation, and particularly in F. So every seat that goes to a partner redemption is one less available to a MPC member.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by sxc
I don't think it's so much the exclusivity but that if you are a loyal CX customer saving to Asia Miles at its relatively low earn rates, it takes more points to redeem seats on CX with more restrictive rules than those who earned AA and AS miles much more easily. So it feels like the airline biting the hand that feeds them.
That's precisely the reason why it is more expensive to redeem Cathay Pacific through Asia Miles. There are too many people loyal to Asia Miles and too many Asia Miles floating around. In another way, Cathay has no competition in HK.

On the other hand, AS is small in US and not many people from AS redeem Cathay Pacific.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:23 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by freed0m
On the other hand, AS is small in US and not many people from AS redeem Cathay Pacific.
207 pages Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
And counting https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post30619120

Also
Ecco says:September 23, 2018 at 1:01 am
"Agree with you that availability has gone to zero for CX awards. I’ve learnt the hard way that it’s not worth buying points speculatively. Far too many moving goal posts and my Alaska miles are worth virtually nothing without any CX availability. I’m about to give them away to relatives in the states.

Would be good if all the bloggers out there could now write us a piece on how to use Alaska miles now that CX have plugged that loophole of travel hackers filling their premium cabins."

https://onemileatatime.com/no-cathay...-class-awards/
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
207 pages Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
And counting https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post30619120

Also
Ecco says:September 23, 2018 at 1:01 am
"Agree with you that availability has gone to zero for CX awards. I’ve learnt the hard way that it’s not worth buying points speculatively. Far too many moving goal posts and my Alaska miles are worth virtually nothing without any CX availability. I’m about to give them away to relatives in the states.

Would be good if all the bloggers out there could now write us a piece on how to use Alaska miles now that CX have plugged that loophole of travel hackers filling their premium cabins."

https://onemileatatime.com/no-cathay...-class-awards/
How many people from AS redeemed Cathay Pacific? My wild guess is less than 1%.

How many people from Asia Miles want to redeem Cathay Pacific? My wild guess is more than 90%.

How many seats did AS redeem from Cathay Pacific? My wild guess is less than 10% of total awards seat, if counting economy seats, I would say less than 1%.

How many seats did Asia Miles redeem from Cathay Pacific? My wild guess is more than 50%.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
How many people from AS redeemed Cathay Pacific? My wild guess is less than 1%.

How many people from Asia Miles want to redeem Cathay Pacific? My wild guess is more than 90%.

How many seats did AS redeem from Cathay Pacific? My wild guess is less than 10% of total awards seat, if counting economy seats, I would say less than 1%.

How many seats did Asia Miles redeem from Cathay Pacific? My wild guess is more than 50%.
These are all "wild guesses" indeed.

In economy you may be right, but in F the proportion of award seats that gets filled by people by use AS miles is likely to be much higher.

Why? Because:

a) Blogs have been "advertising" the low redemption rates for CX F using AS miles for years now
b) The mileage rate to redeem transpacific CX F is much lower in AS than using AM, whilst availability for redemption using AS miles appears to be pretty good, and
c) Award seats in premium cabins are arguably filled by a disproportionately high number of frequent flyers who read blogs and especially forums like FT, where they get wise to the fact that redeeming using AS miles is much cheaper. Why do I say that? Because the more often you fly, the more likely you are to become i) interested in and ii) familiar with your own and perhaps even other airlines' FFP.

I guess one other reason why there is a lot of "hostility" towards people who use AS miles to redeem CX F is that Cathay Pacific has made it possible for AS members to redeem at such low rates in the first place.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
These are all "wild guesses" indeed.

In economy you may be right, but in F the proportion of award seats that gets filled by people by use AS miles is likely to be much higher.

Why? Because:

a) Blogs have been "advertising" the low redemption rates for CX F using AS miles for years now
b) The mileage rate to redeem transpacific CX F is much lower in AS than using AM, whilst availability for redemption using AS miles appears to be pretty good, and
c) Award seats in premium cabins are arguably filled by a disproportionately high number of frequent flyers who read blogs and especially forums like FT, where they get wise to the fact that redeeming using AS miles is much cheaper. Why do I say that? Because the more often you fly, the more likely you are to become i) interested in and ii) familiar with your own and perhaps even other airlines' FFP.

I guess one other reason why there is a lot of "hostility" towards people who use AS miles to redeem CX F is that Cathay Pacific has made it possible for AS members to redeem at such low rates in the first place.
People from Asia Miles can do both.
1. They can read blogs, buy AS miles and redeem Cathay Pacific premium cabins.
2. They can redeem through Asia Miles. But close to none in AS will ever redeem through Asia Miles.

Too bad that Asia Miles costs a ton to redeem Cathay premium cabins. But it has to be like that because too many people have too many miles. The one "hostile" towards AS definitely knows AS program and can take advantage of it.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
2. They can redeem through Asia Miles. But close to none in AS will ever redeem through Asia Miles.

Too bad that Asia Miles costs a ton to redeem Cathay premium cabins. But it has to be like that because too many people have too many miles. The one "hostile" towards AS definitely knows AS program and can take advantage of it.
That misses the point, IMHO.

Personally, I do not buy any miles for award travel, since I earn enough through a) Flying on CX and other OW carriers and b) earning additional miles through my credit card. If have zero interest in spending extra miles to buy tickets, and I suspect many other MPC members who earn their miles the way I do feel the same way.

In my own opinion, it should not be possible to simply buy 100% of the miles required to redeem a J or F ticket.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Why? Because:

While not particularly hostile towards GrASpers and GrAAbers, these are my common talkpoints with Cathay Pacific and Asiamiles folks when they ask for feedback....lol
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:05 am

That misses the point, IMHO.

Personally, I do not buy any miles for award travel, since I earn enough through a) Flying on CX and other OW carriers and b) earning additional miles through my credit card. If have zero interest in spending extra miles to buy tickets, and I suspect many other MPC members who earn their miles the way I do feel the same way.

In my own opinion, it should not be possible to simply buy 100% of the miles required to redeem a J or F ticket.
You can't extend your ideology to everyone else.
AS makes its own business decision regarding whether it would like its member to buy miles.
If Cathay did not like it, it certainly can break the partnership. AS has lost partners before. I am sure that AS did not pay any less than other partners for the same award seat, Asia Miles included.
AS has a great loyalty program. It is your loss not to value it.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska

I'll add that Cathay *does* release some space to Asia Miles before its partners as well as provide waitlist functionality. IMO that's the incremental value of the program. If the seat is already released to AS, then I would use AS to redeem it since it's cheaper. I'll use Asia Miles at worse redemption rates only when I need to, i.e. when I want to lock in the seat before it gets released to AS. Both programs have their uses.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Has anyone successfully been able to change their outbound , booking J/A space? About a week after the I had purchased the original ticket, I was able to change my outbound flight (pre departure) for the $100 change fee, as the website had found J and A space on the outbound (HAN HKG SFO). But now, although both Matrix using VN POS and the CX website (for new purchases) show those inventories available on multiple days, CX res and the website show them not available when trying to change an existing booking. Keen to change my outbound. Any Suggestions?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:25 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
CX res and the website show them not available when trying to change an existing booking.
Do you mean CX res as in phone agent? If not I'd try calling and see.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:50 am

Change flight date

i got this error fare ticket of First class for YVR.

I plan to change my date,
i asked to Expedia, change fee is 100 US$ plus additional fare depend on date.

if someone(bought first class) has changed flight date,
how much did it change fee ?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:53 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nnn555
i got this error fare ticket of First class for YVR.

I plan to change my date,
i asked to Expedia, change fee is 100 US$ plus additional fare depend on date.

if someone(bought first class) has changed flight date,
how much did it change fee ?
change fee is defo $100, in addition fare differences. If the dates you are looking for have availability in A class, then it should only cost $100. If not, then the additional fees would be in the five digits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.