FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:34 am
NetJets Germany

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by freed0m
How many people from AS redeemed Cathay Pacific? My wild guess is less than 1%.

How many people from Asia Miles want to redeem Cathay Pacific? My wild guess is more than 90%.

How many seats did AS redeem from Cathay Pacific? My wild guess is less than 10% of total awards seat, if counting economy seats, I would say less than 1%.

How many seats did Asia Miles redeem from Cathay Pacific? My wild guess is more than 50%.
These are all "wild guesses" indeed.

In economy you may be right, but in F the proportion of award seats that gets filled by people by use AS miles is likely to be much higher.

Why? Because:

a) Blogs have been "advertising" the low redemption rates for CX F using AS miles for years now
b) The mileage rate to redeem transpacific CX F is much lower in AS than using AM, whilst availability for redemption using AS miles appears to be pretty good, and
c) Award seats in premium cabins are arguably filled by a disproportionately high number of frequent flyers who read blogs and especially forums like FT, where they get wise to the fact that redeeming using AS miles is much cheaper. Why do I say that? Because the more often you fly, the more likely you are to become i) interested in and ii) familiar with your own and perhaps even other airlines' FFP.

I guess one other reason why there is a lot of "hostility" towards people who use AS miles to redeem CX F is that Cathay Pacific has made it possible for AS members to redeem at such low rates in the first place.