Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Official announcement for NO Lounge access if you score complimentary upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold

Note on First Class lounges: Passengers offered complimentary upgrades to First Class are not entitled to First Class lounge access, unless access is otherwise available based on eligible frequent flyer programme tier (for example, Marco Polo Club Diamond members will be entitled entry to First Class lounge regardless of class of travel). Customers originally booked in Business Class and upgraded to First Class will be entitled entry to the Business Class lounge.
and
Note on Business Class lounges: Passengers offered complimentary upgrades to Business Class are not entitled to lounge access, unless access is otherwise available based on eligible frequent flyer programme tier (for example, Marco Polo Club Silver and Gold members will be entitled entry to the Business Class lounge regardless of class of travel).

Source: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...dmittance.html

Thanks to people who lodge complains for no lounge access for an op-up. Now black & white.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: CX DM
Excellent. Great to have it in b&w. Will certainly make the dragons' lives easier.
royng, jerrywu and hessbo like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:45 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I find it a strange exclusion given that the amount of space taken by these opups must be very marginal compared to everyone else in the lounges. Lounge capacity should already be taking into account the number of physical seats on the planes. And those who get the upgrades are more than likely people with status anyway.
windscar and Gig103 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Fair enough. If it is the policy, why not make it clear for everybody.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
This is the policy with most airlines. You are upgraded for operational reasons - there not being a seat for you in the lower cabin. Unless there are no seats in the J lounges and you get operationally upgraded to the F lounge why would you have access
Rami Tamimi likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Two years ago, I flied CX288 FRA to HKG, and then transferred to KHH. At Frankfurt, I got birthday upgrade from J to F. I’m 100% sure it was Birthday one because the BP printed on “happy birthday “. At the pier first class lounge, the dragon checked my BP and looked the computer for a while. Eventually she said” yes, you can get in because this is a special upgrade “

Maybe Birthday upgrade and op-up are different?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: CX GO
I thought this has always been the case. A few years ago, I got rejected by the lounge when I was op-up to J as a green member.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Pretty ridiculous change, so far I have always been allowed to lounges in case of operational class upgrades, both on Cathay and EVA. It's hard for me to say how many times it was when I had no status in the alliance, that allowed lounge access regardless, but I am pretty sure at least in some cases I had none.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: dont care anymore
i am sure entitled people who get something for nothing will be here being the most vocal complainers. good riddance.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by sxc
I find it a strange exclusion given that the amount of space taken by these opups must be very marginal compared to everyone else in the lounges. Lounge capacity should already be taking into account the number of physical seats on the planes. And those who get the upgrades are more than likely people with status anyway.
Exactly. Nonetheless, it's still a good clarifications.

Some locals will remember this guy a few months ago:
https://ezone.ulifestyle.com.hk/arti...9C%8D%E6%8F%92
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by sxc
My daughter got up-up as GR. My nephew got several op-ups even as AM. 10 years ago on a March SFO-HKG flight, I overheard the agent telling a passenger "all members were upgraded" (that was just before HK Sevens).

Originally Posted by wyskevin
Two years ago, I flied CX288 FRA to HKG, and then transferred to KHH. At Frankfurt, I got birthday upgrade from J to F. I’m 100% sure it was Birthday one because the BP printed on “happy birthday “. At the pier first class lounge, the dragon checked my BP and looked the computer for a while. Eventually she said” yes, you can get in because this is a special upgrade “

Maybe Birthday upgrade and op-up are different?
They are different. Birthday upgrades are not for operational reasons. However, by the wordings of the new policy, perhaps birthday upgrades lounge policy are affected too.

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Pretty ridiculous change, so far I have always been allowed to lounges in case of operational class upgrades, both on Cathay and EVA. It's hard for me to say how many times it was when I had no status in the alliance, that allowed lounge access regardless, but I am pretty sure at least in some cases I had none.
Your experience is different than us and most other members. My last op-up was two months ago. I am GO and was upgraded to F. Perhaps they changed my boarding pass at the gate (rather than at check-in or the lounge) to make sure I wouldn't go to a F lounge.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Potential Solution (unless CX stamps the boarding pass "No Lounge"):

In airports with other Oneworld lounges other than CX, simply go to that Oneworld lounge instead.

Eg. In HKG, go to the Qantas lounge instead of the CX lounge.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by daniellam
Potential Solution (unless CX stamps the boarding pass "No Lounge"):

In airports with other Oneworld lounges other than CX, simply go to that Oneworld lounge instead.

Eg. In HKG, go to the Qantas lounge instead of the CX lounge.
Don't know if other OW lounges work. The person's BP info is on the barcode, and if it works properly, it will be rejected. Interesting to know if anyone tried that.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
i feel this is just so petty

1/ say a J gets upgraded to F. i mean is the marginal cost of admitting him to F lounge that much more?

2/ if a PE or Y gets upgraded to J. Ok maybe marginal cost is more (say US$50 a pop). but you have sold extra tickets (at a better yield too given cabin is full)! is it that difficult to build some customer good will?

basically i feel that they are being penny wise pound foolish. the marginal cost of providing this benefit is not that great, and can build goodwill. but they choose to toast it.

as sxc said - most opups have status anyway. it is only a very rare few I think that get upgraded as a newbie.

instead of pissing people off - if they want to implement this policy, they should do a strict opup upgrade at gate. this is actually a win-win. customer is super happy at gate, and CX dont have to provide the lounge services.

​​​​​
flubber, royng and barracuda93 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Don't know if other OW lounges work. The person's BP info is on the barcode, and if it works properly, it will be rejected. Interesting to know if anyone tried that.
The information embedded into the barcode is very basic. I suggest you download the app "BPScanner" onto your iphone and scan your boarding pass.

At most it shows the airline's record locator.

However, when accessing a partner lounge (as they won't have access to the operating carrier's DCS), all they look at is the cabin code and the ff status if required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.