FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official announcement for NO Lounge access if you score complimentary upgrades
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:40 am
cxfan1960

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by sxc
I find it a strange exclusion given that the amount of space taken by these opups must be very marginal compared to everyone else in the lounges. Lounge capacity should already be taking into account the number of physical seats on the planes. And those who get the upgrades are more than likely people with status anyway.
My daughter got up-up as GR. My nephew got several op-ups even as AM. 10 years ago on a March SFO-HKG flight, I overheard the agent telling a passenger "all members were upgraded" (that was just before HK Sevens).

Originally Posted by wyskevin
Two years ago, I flied CX288 FRA to HKG, and then transferred to KHH. At Frankfurt, I got birthday upgrade from J to F. I’m 100% sure it was Birthday one because the BP printed on “happy birthday “. At the pier first class lounge, the dragon checked my BP and looked the computer for a while. Eventually she said” yes, you can get in because this is a special upgrade “

Maybe Birthday upgrade and op-up are different?
They are different. Birthday upgrades are not for operational reasons. However, by the wordings of the new policy, perhaps birthday upgrades lounge policy are affected too.

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Pretty ridiculous change, so far I have always been allowed to lounges in case of operational class upgrades, both on Cathay and EVA. It's hard for me to say how many times it was when I had no status in the alliance, that allowed lounge access regardless, but I am pretty sure at least in some cases I had none.
Your experience is different than us and most other members. My last op-up was two months ago. I am GO and was upgraded to F. Perhaps they changed my boarding pass at the gate (rather than at check-in or the lounge) to make sure I wouldn't go to a F lounge.