FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Official announcement for NO Lounge access if you score complimentary upgrades (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1941875-official-announcement-no-lounge-access-if-you-score-complimentary-upgrades.html)

AmD950 Nov 23, 2018 3:44 am

Official announcement for NO Lounge access if you score complimentary upgrades

Note on First Class lounges: Passengers offered complimentary upgrades to First Class are not entitled to First Class lounge access, unless access is otherwise available based on eligible frequent flyer programme tier (for example, Marco Polo Club Diamond members will be entitled entry to First Class lounge regardless of class of travel). Customers originally booked in Business Class and upgraded to First Class will be entitled entry to the Business Class lounge.
and

Note on Business Class lounges: Passengers offered complimentary upgrades to Business Class are not entitled to lounge access, unless access is otherwise available based on eligible frequent flyer programme tier (for example, Marco Polo Club Silver and Gold members will be entitled entry to the Business Class lounge regardless of class of travel).

Source: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...dmittance.html

Thanks to people who lodge complains for no lounge access for an op-up. Now black & white.

marcuslai Nov 23, 2018 4:29 am

Excellent. Great to have it in b&w. Will certainly make the dragons' lives easier.

sxc Nov 23, 2018 4:45 am

I find it a strange exclusion given that the amount of space taken by these opups must be very marginal compared to everyone else in the lounges. Lounge capacity should already be taking into account the number of physical seats on the planes. And those who get the upgrades are more than likely people with status anyway.

SLGO Nov 23, 2018 5:28 am

Fair enough. If it is the policy, why not make it clear for everybody.

skywardhunter Nov 23, 2018 5:32 am

This is the policy with most airlines. You are upgraded for operational reasons - there not being a seat for you in the lower cabin. Unless there are no seats in the J lounges and you get operationally upgraded to the F lounge why would you have access

wyskevin Nov 23, 2018 6:35 am

Two years ago, I flied CX288 FRA to HKG, and then transferred to KHH. At Frankfurt, I got birthday upgrade from J to F. I’m 100% sure it was Birthday one because the BP printed on “happy birthday “. At the pier first class lounge, the dragon checked my BP and looked the computer for a while. Eventually she said” yes, you can get in because this is a special upgrade “

Maybe Birthday upgrade and op-up are different?

wenbin85 Nov 23, 2018 8:03 am

I thought this has always been the case. A few years ago, I got rejected by the lounge when I was op-up to J as a green member.

barracuda93 Nov 23, 2018 9:28 am

Pretty ridiculous change, so far I have always been allowed to lounges in case of operational class upgrades, both on Cathay and EVA. It's hard for me to say how many times it was when I had no status in the alliance, that allowed lounge access regardless, but I am pretty sure at least in some cases I had none.

runningonfumes Nov 23, 2018 11:20 am

i am sure entitled people who get something for nothing will be here being the most vocal complainers. good riddance.

etkuo Nov 23, 2018 11:29 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 30458490)
I find it a strange exclusion given that the amount of space taken by these opups must be very marginal compared to everyone else in the lounges. Lounge capacity should already be taking into account the number of physical seats on the planes. And those who get the upgrades are more than likely people with status anyway.

Exactly. Nonetheless, it's still a good clarifications.

Some locals will remember this guy a few months ago:
https://ezone.ulifestyle.com.hk/arti...9C%8D%E6%8F%92

cxfan1960 Nov 23, 2018 11:40 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 30458490)

My daughter got up-up as GR. My nephew got several op-ups even as AM. 10 years ago on a March SFO-HKG flight, I overheard the agent telling a passenger "all members were upgraded" (that was just before HK Sevens).

Originally Posted by wyskevin (Post 30458649)
Two years ago, I flied CX288 FRA to HKG, and then transferred to KHH. At Frankfurt, I got birthday upgrade from J to F. I’m 100% sure it was Birthday one because the BP printed on “happy birthday “. At the pier first class lounge, the dragon checked my BP and looked the computer for a while. Eventually she said” yes, you can get in because this is a special upgrade “

Maybe Birthday upgrade and op-up are different?

They are different. Birthday upgrades are not for operational reasons. However, by the wordings of the new policy, perhaps birthday upgrades lounge policy are affected too.

Originally Posted by barracuda93 (Post 30459025)
Pretty ridiculous change, so far I have always been allowed to lounges in case of operational class upgrades, both on Cathay and EVA. It's hard for me to say how many times it was when I had no status in the alliance, that allowed lounge access regardless, but I am pretty sure at least in some cases I had none.

Your experience is different than us and most other members. My last op-up was two months ago. I am GO and was upgraded to F. Perhaps they changed my boarding pass at the gate (rather than at check-in or the lounge) to make sure I wouldn't go to a F lounge. :D :D

daniellam Nov 23, 2018 10:08 pm

Potential Solution (unless CX stamps the boarding pass "No Lounge"):

In airports with other Oneworld lounges other than CX, simply go to that Oneworld lounge instead.

Eg. In HKG, go to the Qantas lounge instead of the CX lounge.

cxfan1960 Nov 23, 2018 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam (Post 30460528)
Potential Solution (unless CX stamps the boarding pass "No Lounge"):

In airports with other Oneworld lounges other than CX, simply go to that Oneworld lounge instead.

Eg. In HKG, go to the Qantas lounge instead of the CX lounge.

Don't know if other OW lounges work. The person's BP info is on the barcode, and if it works properly, it will be rejected. Interesting to know if anyone tried that.

ermen Nov 23, 2018 11:36 pm

i feel this is just so petty

1/ say a J gets upgraded to F. i mean is the marginal cost of admitting him to F lounge that much more?

2/ if a PE or Y gets upgraded to J. Ok maybe marginal cost is more (say US$50 a pop). but you have sold extra tickets (at a better yield too given cabin is full)! is it that difficult to build some customer good will?

basically i feel that they are being penny wise pound foolish. the marginal cost of providing this benefit is not that great, and can build goodwill. but they choose to toast it.

as sxc said - most opups have status anyway. it is only a very rare few I think that get upgraded as a newbie.

instead of pissing people off - if they want to implement this policy, they should do a strict opup upgrade at gate. this is actually a win-win. customer is super happy at gate, and CX dont have to provide the lounge services.

​​​​​

daniellam Nov 24, 2018 12:29 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 (Post 30460612)
Don't know if other OW lounges work. The person's BP info is on the barcode, and if it works properly, it will be rejected. Interesting to know if anyone tried that.

The information embedded into the barcode is very basic. I suggest you download the app "BPScanner" onto your iphone and scan your boarding pass.

At most it shows the airline's record locator.

However, when accessing a partner lounge (as they won't have access to the operating carrier's DCS), all they look at is the cabin code and the ff status if required.