Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Only silver member plan to fly 2nd week in october and come back end of oct cx 881

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only silver member plan to fly 2nd week in october and come back end of oct cx 881

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta

Almost every flight is waitlisted. Any possibility of getting on? They said they won't inform me until the week of october. Do they normally inform earlier?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
revenue or award
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
most definitely an award, not cash, ticket.

to the OP, there is just no way to know. CX recently changed the Asia Miles redemption situation. Even in the past it's very hard to handicap. But now, I'd say we have no clue.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:49 am
Original Poster

yes using asia miles.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: CX
CX tends to release ex-HKG wait-lists a lot later than ex-(US ports).

So if your route is HKG-LAX-HKG, then it might be super tight for you.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:07 am
Original Poster

separate 1 way tickets

I plan on flying to hkg and i notice with cathay pacific if i do one way it is 70k miles and two way it is 140k so no savings with roundtrip. Sometimes I see opening for flights there but not coming back, can i make seperate bookings ?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happyvoid
I plan on flying to HKG and I notice with Cathay Pacific if I do one way it is 70k miles and two way it is 140k so no savings with round trip.
Sometimes I see opening for flights there but not coming back, can I make separate bookings ?
Yes.
But an award flight may not open up on the return when you want it.
Do you have Asia miles? Your profile shows AA, SW & DL but not CX
All awards I make are one way.

Same proposed trip as this? ---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-cx-881-a.html
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by happyvoid
I plan on flying to hkg and i notice with cathay pacific if i do one way it is 70k miles and two way it is 140k so no savings with roundtrip. Sometimes I see opening for flights there but not coming back, can i make seperate bookings ?
Yes. This is a recent change (there used to be a discount for round trip, no longer).

In fact, I don't see why anyone should bother booking a round trip anymore if one or both of the segments aren't available. It is just annoying to be locked in, and they'll just give you an early cancellation date (for waitlist bookings) than you would otherwise have for the return sector if booked alone.

Can anyone here explain is there any benefit to booking round trip anymore?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:18 am
Original Poster

yes same trip. i have about 40000 miles that are expiring end of month. If i don't use it then it would be a waste but if i book a trip on waiting list then there is penalty in case the trip does not get fully booked. that is my fear. My other option is to do two 1 way. a 1 way premium economy to hkg from lax and a business class waiting list from hkg back to lax what do you guys think. I don't know of any other option
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Yes. This is a recent change (there used to be a discount for round trip, no longer).

In fact, I don't see why anyone should bother booking a round trip anymore if one or both of the segments aren't available. It is just annoying to be locked in, and they'll just give you an early cancellation date (for waitlist bookings) than you would otherwise have for the return sector if booked alone.

Can anyone here explain is there any benefit to booking round trip anymore?
You have to pay YR (surcharge) for itinerary not originated from HK.
It's will be advantageous for OP if he is planning to fly to HK from an origin which CX imposes YR. He can save the inbound leg YR if ticketed as two O/W.
For HKers which POO is HK, the extra YR will be imposed for the inbound leg which redeeming as two O/W.

Last edited by lewisyu; Jul 22, 2018 at 1:03 am
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:55 am
Original Poster

round trip from lax to hkg

Oh so it is cheaper if I fly from lax to hkg that i buy a roundtrip ticket than to buy 2 one-way ticket so i can save on surcharge?
I might have to fly to hkg from lax via cathay and come back thru a different airline if i cannot find the business class ticket using my miles
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Pls Go try make 3 dummy reservation and report back, please.
cx shows what the charges are before you pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.