Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Honestly I prefer Asian flavors and from my experience with QR, they mostly serve South Asian or Middle eastern dishes plus Western options, while I wouldn't say its inedible, it wasn't really great. However I like how their dishes are presented. I want my meals plated properly and I want them on the table instead of getting it my meal served on a tray like in the cafeteria or the hospital.
If you prefer Asian flavors, then EVA Air would be a good. They plate their meals (on their long haul flights at least) just like QR and don't use trays.
royng likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by daniellam
If you prefer Asian flavors, then EVA Air would be a good. They plate their meals (on their long haul flights at least) just like QR and don't use trays.
If only they could switch to OW lol
jerrywu likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
If only they could switch to OW lol
No need to chase status if you will be flying paid business class anyway. Redeemable miles aren't much use these days as availability and award charts are getting ridiculous these days.

You'll be much happier by choosing whichever airline has the best service.
royng and HaikalS like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:27 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
First flight will be 30 July 0806
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by jmj9905
I know everybody raves about qr business food. I flew them last sept. iad/doh.cpt. First leg entre was lamb loin. So over cooked it was inedible. Second leg I had the filet sandwich. It had so much grisle it also was inedible. When I complained to the fa she said"i'll let catering know"' Sorry, I think CX is better than Qr.

YMMV
Sounds like you had a bad example. But....I feel fairly confident saying with at least 40+ longhaul CX J sectors (and scores more shorthaul and mid haul) and another 15-20 QR J sectors in the last 5 or so years, there is simply zero comparison. Not even close not a debate....like black and white. One bad situation doesn't tell a story of airlines that serve tens of thousands of seats a day.

QR J catering destroys CX!
royng likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:11 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
First flight will be 30 July 0806
Do you mean the rollout was delayed?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288

QR J catering destroys CX!
However, one area of concern is whether the flight attendants remember to change their rubber gloves between cleaning the lavatory and plating meals!

In a plating scenario, the meals are heated in aluminum containers (with separate compartments for sauces, garnishing/sides and the main piece of meat) and each component is carefully transferred by hand (rubber gloved) to the plate as per the plating guide provided by the caterer and dressed with additional unheated items such as fresh herbs etc.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:23 am

So has the new service been delayed? Is that why no reports yet on this new rollout
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: dont care anymore
Originally Posted by MADBOB
So has the new service been delayed? Is that why no reports yet on this new rollout
I suppose it would be too much to ask CX to improve wine in J. it literally is garbage perhaps second only to Air China serving great wall red. but then who would bottle the tanker car left over plonk from chablis or who cares district of left over declassified garbage wine from france for CX...
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:48 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by MADBOB

Having watched this video (
) it's no surprise that the rollout has been delayed. CX's catering division is simply too used to handling those casserole dishes in business class. It looks like their whole internal process is built around it. Even though the flight attendants may have already been trained, it would probably take longer for their catering division (and their contractors in the outports) to get used to the new process.

As per the video, it took them 3 months to come up with a way to properly serve the business class hamburger on board. Three months just to come up with the idea to heat the bun/patty separately and them assemble the burger using lettuce/tomato/pickle from a separate unheated container is just hilarious.

The first part of the video (
) is here. You can see them making omelets and dishing them onto those ugly casserole dishes.

Last edited by daniellam; Jul 13, 2018 at 5:54 pm
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Thanks for posting those videos.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Thanks for posting those videos.
Meanwhile 100km away in Guangzhou (CAN), China Southern Airlines has already rolled out their new business class dining. Not exactly sure what their roll out schedule is like (perhaps it's already fully rolled out?).

Here is a video I just watched on youtube showing their new business class service from AMS-CAN.

The food is well presented and no trays/casseroles are used. They even serve soup in business class.

With the way things are going now, it seems like that Hong Kong will pretty soon just be another (Mainland) Chinese city and Cathay Pacific will just be another (Mainland) Chinese airline. The glory days for Hong Kong and Cathay Pacific are over.

Last edited by daniellam; Jul 13, 2018 at 7:25 pm
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam
In the mean time, I would suggest taking the long way ORD-DOH-HKG on QR where you get restaurant style meals in business class without the use of trays and casserole dishes.
I had several starters served casserole style from a cart on Austrian TATL J, and the items tasted better than some meals I've had in international F!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.

i said before and say again now. i dont need fancy 5* plating or presentation done by FAs who had no gastronomy training. equally i dont expect them to know which vintage was poorly affected by weather... one plate or carrosole or not as long as food is tasty i dont care how they pesent it

just as comparison my recent virgin AY flight in J served smoked trout ex HEL. it was just a carrosole dish but it was extremely superbly done... i feel like they smoked it in cabin (donno how) as during preparation i can smell aroma of nice wood smoke. it didnt have a Michelin star presentation but boy trust me the fish was perfect mediumish with lots of texture and moisture needless to say ntg like dried cod CX serve (my dog will refuse to eat it) and they had proper seasoning not like CX's over usuage of salt and MSG

point is this: i dont need DoD nor fancy plating... just serve propert tasty meal on a carrosole if need be... i cud care less if this was one plate as long as food is good

Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:24 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fakecd

i said before and say again now. i dont need fancy 5* plating or presentation done by FAs who had no gastronomy training. equally i dont expect them to know which vintage was poorly affected by weather... one plate or carrosole or not as long as food is tasty i dont care how they pesent it

just as comparison my recent virgin AY flight in J served smoked trout ex HEL. it was just a carrosole dish but it was extremely superbly done... i feel like they smoked it in cabin (donno how) as during preparation i can smell aroma of nice wood smoke. it didnt have a Michelin star presentation but boy trust me the fish was perfect mediumish with lots of texture and moisture needless to say ntg like dried cod CX serve (my dog will refuse to eat it) and they had proper seasoning not like CX's over usuage of salt and MSG

point is this: i dont need DoD nor fancy plating... just serve propert tasty meal on a carrosole if need be... i cud care less if this was one plate as long as food is good

+1!

Dine on Demand is somewhat overrated in my opinion, and sometimes are downright confusing. We all only need tasty food.
royng likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.