Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Yes, the landscape is going to change. If CX did this properly, is too early to judge on. For now, especially the mistakes do show off (same with the lounges, where they reworked quite well within a 1-2 month period).

I agree with you, the turning off the high-valued frequent flyers might have been anticipated differently by CX, though. If I would be in charge, I would take higher CX status much more into account for the AM redeem availability. Though for that, not only the current MPC status is relevant, though also the past revenue brought by the MPC redeemer. I have "MPC Gold" status, though paid substantially less on ticket fees for that, than HKG homed CX flyers.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Would be interesting if this actually is an IT issue that's being prolonged due to... cost-cutting (surprise!).

IT budget always gets cut first in almost any corporation.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:32 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Cambo
I agree with you, the turning off the high-valued frequent flyers might have been anticipated differently by CX, though. If I would be in charge, I would take higher CX status much more into account for the AM redeem availability. Though for that, not only the current MPC status is relevant, though also the past revenue brought by the MPC redeemer.
Sure, an AM in your account will be more valuable in mine then. It works as a soft bribe to corporate travellers https://webb-site.com/articles/voucherprice.asp and as a benefit for status to those who built status on their own dollar.

This can be effected the QF way - clear against waitlists. You can then introduce differentiated clearing according to status after that.

Not being done yet, and if you want to do it like that, you have to advertise to let status members know. Of course this will be a disadvertisement for non-status members to go elsewhere.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 2, 2018 at 5:20 am
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:09 pm

It makes you mad.

I was trying to plan a short quick trip to Sapporo trip over the weekend. Sep 1-4 Sep.

I was surprised to be able to get Standard EY, PEY and JC redemption. on Wed, 29 Aug. After confirming everything, (checking Typhoon Jebi track) I went in to book and found the period with no availability whatsoever, not even with choice or tailored.

So, I canceled.

But I tried again, just for fun, that early morning just 8 hours before departure and there staring right at me is total availability...STANDARD EY at 10,000 miles a sector!!! Too late to pack my bag!

(Audio)

Last edited by Audio; Sep 2, 2018 at 10:56 pm
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Audio: maybe they froze redemption while they're checking Typhoon Jebi flight disruptions for themselves, too?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:17 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Hello everyone,

I've got a quick question...

I see availability on AM for two flights, one for London to Hong Kong, and the next to Taipei, all in F. When searched separately, they both show availability for First Standard Awards, but when I search London to Taipei (via Hong Kong - of course), Asia Miles only shows Choice Awards being available, at 50% more than what LHR-HKG-TPE would cost as a combined standard award.

Am I supposed to be able to book it at standard prices, especially through calling MPC?

cheers
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
I have a greedy question..... I have requested for a return upgrade airfare on J way before the 06/22 date and even way before the announcement. It's still on waiting list. In the event I manage to be able to upgrade, will I be using the original rule or the new rule affected 06/22? Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope
Hello everyone,

I've got a quick question...

I see availability on AM for two flights, one for London to Hong Kong, and the next to Taipei, all in F. When searched separately, they both show availability for First Standard Awards, but when I search London to Taipei (via Hong Kong - of course), Asia Miles only shows Choice Awards being available, at 50% more than what LHR-HKG-TPE would cost as a combined standard award.

Am I supposed to be able to book it at standard prices, especially through calling MPC?

cheers
Looks yield management on married segments to me, with a secondary aspect that your F to TPE might be downgraded to J. Others do know more about the intricacies of the downgrade reality.

Though you might be able to beat the 50% LH+SH increase (100K to 150K). How about a separate booking ? The second leg is cheaper on its own (25K), then as a 50% increase on the combined multi-leg ticket. Since both are CX, you have reasonable protection in case of delays.

Or maybe change dates ? A quick call may help too ....
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

@clubeurope

i don't think you will get "prohibition against marriage" restrictions on AM

Assune asiamiles.com is a defective implementation for now, call AM to price.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
@clubeurope

i don't think you will get "prohibition against marriage" restrictions on AM

Assune asiamiles.com is a defective implementation for now, call AM to price.
Could be, though when I try to book myself, I don't get the 50% increase presented. Though, it could be that surprise does come later on in the booking process, when I select the dates, etc.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Could be, though when I try to book myself, I don't get the 50% increase presented
Did you get a person to price your dates?

Assume asiamiles.com is wrong when it comes to this. I know calling AM is painful but when you have connections there is sometimes no alternative.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:46 am

Could be, though when I try to book myself, I don't get the 50% increase presented. Though, it could be that surprise does come later on in the booking process, when I select the dates, etc.
Did you get a person to price your dates?

Assume asiamiles.com is wrong when it comes to this. I know calling AM is painful but when you have connections there is sometimes no alternative.
Cheers everyone, thanks for the replies

I just got off the phone with MPC, and apparently the agent wasn’t able to find any standard availability on any of the combinations I see online. How strange.

Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubeurope
I just got off the phone with MPC, and apparently the agent wasn’t able to find any standard availability on any of the combinations I see online. How strange.
Was the phone agent able to see availability sector-by-sector though?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:26 am

Was the phone agent able to see availability sector-by-sector though?
apparently not (at least at the standard rates), to which I was surprised...

she was insistent that only Choice awards are available.

I might try to call them back to see if she made a mistake.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:37 am

I do apologise, but I have a few questions in an effort to overcome all this

Availability online is apparently available for LHR-HKG-CGK at 125,000 miles. Would it work if I book that, and call the next day after it being issued, to have it rerouted to TPE instead of flying to CGK (given how standard awards are available for HKG-TPE)? Will I be able to keep the seats on LHR-HKG? And if so, can I expect to get a refund of the different in miles (25,000 miles)? Of course, all this assuming that I pay the $100 re-issue fee...

Thank you in advance, and I appreciate all your help!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.