Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typhoon HATO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by bloodbeard
Flying YYZ to OKA found out after arriving in HK that the HKG to OKA leg is cancelled. Everything was booked via Cathay Pacific site so we went to the CP counter. We are Marco Polo Green, they directed us to the Cathay Dragon counter who told us to call the reservation line. After 2 hours of waiting on hold we went back to the desk. After an hour pleading politely for another flight they offered to book us in the 27 (original flight is 23rd) but suggested that we don't book the 27th but rather wait until the 23rd. They said that the airline should contact us and possibly get us on an earlier flight. No food or lodging assistance was offered. They said that we have to fend for ourselves. Still waiting on airside for word. Any idea the best way to proceed?
Unfortunalty all KA flights to OKA have been fully booked the following two days. I think your best bet is to ask for a reroute (even on another carrier if needed).
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:27 am

What is with KLM landing right in the middle of a T10?

Add them to my list of airlines I'll never fly.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Would CX normally cover for accommodations if I caught up at HKG during weather like this?

i.e. arriving yesterday, transit for around 24 hours. booked myself a hotel for last night. However, need to stay 1-2 extra days due to flight cancellation?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
post deleted. wrong information.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by lionelhutz

Looked fine to me - basically no crosswind, just a strong headwind. Their groundspeed was hence rather low on landing and they needed less than half the runway. Kudos to the pilots for judging the situation on its merits.

So by all means take your ignorance elsewhere, but I guess that must be becoming a pretty short list... (no MH because they got shot down, no KE ditto, no QF because they had an engine blow out, no BA because they landed short at LHR, etc)
jamienbaker and fairhsa like this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:44 am

Maybe it's because that flight is operated by the B747-400 which can withstand more crosswinds than other aircraft and the captain thought it is safe enough to attempt a landing. Very few flights at HKG are operated by 744 these days, which could explain why no other flight has attempted a landing during T10 today.

I've read about a time at SFO where winds were particularly strong that night, and all other aircraft such as the 340, 777 etc. had to be grounded, but CX873 operated by 744 at the time had no problems departing on time.
jamienbaker likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: TK*G
Do CX still carry passengers connecting through HKG? I remember once in the past when weather in HK is terrible, they rerouted everyone transiting through HKG and give priority to those travelling to/from HK only.

This brings in a few benefits:
1) Since >50% of CX passengers now transit through HKG, it opens up a lot of space
2) Connecting passengers may arrive destination on time or even earlier
3) passengers are dealt with at the counter during check-in so as to reduce pressure on the hotlines

However this may have cost CX a lot extra to accommodate them on other airlines
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by GE90-115B
Maybe it's because that flight is operated by the B747-400 which can withstand more crosswinds than other aircraft and the captain thought it is safe enough to attempt a landing. Very few flights at HKG are operated by 744 these days, which could explain why no other flight has attempted a landing during T10 today.

I've read about a time at SFO where winds were particularly strong that night, and all other aircraft such as the 340, 777 etc. had to be grounded, but CX873 operated by 744 at the time had no problems departing on time.
Had a colleague on that flight. He said that landing was good. The approach was turbulent though.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bart simpson
Do CX still carry passengers connecting through HKG? I remember once in the past when weather in HK is terrible, they rerouted everyone transiting through HKG and give priority to those travelling to/from HK only.

This brings in a few benefits:
1) Since >50% of CX passengers now transit through HKG, it opens up a lot of space
2) Connecting passengers may arrive destination on time or even earlier
3) passengers are dealt with at the counter during check-in so as to reduce pressure on the hotlines

However this may have cost CX a lot extra to accommodate them on other airlines

Correct. A friend of mine was flying PVG-HKG-JFK today and got rebooked to PVG-JFK directly. It was the actual flight she preferred and at the time of booking CX was cheaper so she booked with CX. She is very happy with the arrangement.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

Originally Posted by brunos
Had a colleague on that flight. He said that landing was good. The approach was turbulent though.
Some commentary on the decision to land in the SCMP

According to data from the Observatory analysed by Hong Kong pilot Jeremy Tam Man-ho, flight KL887 was facing headwinds when the pilots were trying to land, but those winds were not unfavourable for landing.

“It would have been difficult to land if the flight was facing crosswinds. The real problem was after landing the plane – you needed people to get the air bridge ready and open the door. If the wind is too strong it is possible you can’t even open the door,” said Tam, who is also a Civic Party member of Hong Kong’s legislature.

Wind speed over the airport’s airspace was 80km/h to 113km/h, which Tam said was strong. But he said what really determined whether a pilot could land a plane was the direction of the wind. He added that visibility had been 1.7km, which was “acceptable”. Visibility on the runways was between 500 metres and 800 metres, Tam said.

“There was no reason not to try and land. It was not a rash decision,” he said.
Evacuation from Tai O village as streets turned to rivers after Typhoon Hato hits Hong Kong

KLM said in a statement that the pilots had “no problems landing the plane” and the aircraft had been filled up with extra fuel in case of any diversion to another airport.

“Safety is our highest priority, we never compromise on that,” the airline said. “The KLM flight landed before the wind reached its peak.”

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/h...flight-backlog
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
I don't think the HKO was considering this to be a T9 or T10 until this morning, after they had already pre-announced the T8 was going up early this morning. It's all academic, as the complaints always come when the HKO raises the T8 and it turns out to be a damp squib. This time they seem to have underestimated it, but "close enough" to call the day off for everybody.
Until yesterday it wasn't even predicted as a typhoon, just a tropical storm. It intensified very quickly.

Last edited by 1010101; Aug 23, 2017 at 8:07 pm
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: CX Gold
No problem with the ability of the aircraft to land at such conditions, but how about the safety of the ground crew directing the aircraft to the air bridges? Isn't the wind speed too dangerous for the crew to be on the tarmac?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by boybi
No problem with the ability of the aircraft to land at such conditions, but how about the safety of the ground crew directing the aircraft to the air bridges? Isn't the wind speed too dangerous for the crew to be on the tarmac?
Agree. Even the plane landed, I don't think ground services were provided at all - no bridge, no luggage, no fueling etc.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by boybi
At HKG there is no need for batmen directing planes to the main gates - they have an electronic guidance system.

And really! I grew up by the sea in the UK, today wasn't that exceptional, in general.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by christep
At HKG there is no need for batmen directing planes to the main gates - they have an electronic guidance system.

And really! I grew up by the sea in the UK, today wasn't that exceptional, in general.
Indeed and 80 to 110km per hr is nothing extraordinary in many coastal regions.
HK has become so precaution-minded, for legal/media reasons, that it is starting to be ridiculous IMO.

I can understand the risk of the ocean overflowing, as it did today, or a branch falling from a tree, or a typical-HK scaffolding breaking. But if a jetway cannot operate with 100km wind or staff cannot unload bags, then there is a real problem with the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.