Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Routes included in upgrade bid trial: Adelaide, Amsterdam, Bangkok, Brisbane, Cebu, Chiang Mai, Chicago, Colombo, Denpasar (Bali), Dubai, Kathmandu, Rome and Seoul

https://upgrade.cathaypacific.com/offer/CathayPacific

2014 Enhance discussion thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1584763-cx-upgrade-bidding-discussion-experiences.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1819458-upgrade-bidding-coming-back.html
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Bid

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
But no one is going take up these offers at this pricing.

HKG->SIN
J0 C0 D0 I0 Y3 B3 H2 K1 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

SIN->HKG
J4 C2 D0 I0 W0 R0 E0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V7 S4 N0 Q0 O0

There are more EY than the upgrade class, zero availability business Class HKG->SIN, zero PEY availability SIN->HKG

.....looks like upgrade bidding is working.....

(Audio)
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:00 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Even if there’s no chance of the bid being successful CX also gets data on what people are willing to pay and can work out the price elasticity of their fares. Well I would hope they’re using the data that way.
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Even if there’s no chance of the bid being successful CX also gets data on what people are willing to pay and can work out the price elasticity of their fares. Well I would hope they’re using the data that way.

I look at it the other way. People had bidded and are successful and have moved into the upgrade class and hence there is no more availability, EY continue to have spaces because of the seats left vacant by the upgrades.

(Audio)
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:17 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Audio
I look at it the other way. People had bidded and are successful and have moved into the upgrade class and hence there is no more availability, EY continue to have spaces because of the seats left vacant by the upgrades.

(Audio)
How far away are your flights? afaik upgrade bids are processed at around 55 hours before departure.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by sxc
How far away are your flights? afaik upgrade bids are processed at around 55 hours before departure.

Checking in at approx 2 hours from now. Should be after 55 hours and is processed. Return flight is 5 days after.

(Audio)
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have a trip coming up in late January booked in PE. BOS-TPE/MNL-BOS.

Just checked and the HKG-TPE and MNL-HKG legs are available for upgrade bids, but the BOS-HKG (and vv) legs are not available for upgrade (at this time, anyway).

Pricing:

TPE: $180 - $720 USD (+$12 tax)
MNL: $180 - $720 USD

Might be worth it for $200 or so per leg, but not much more than that. I can "suffer" in PE for a couple short 2hr flights.

I have another BOS-HKG trip coming up in 9 days, but it's not showing eligible for Upgrade Bid. Any idea why that might be? According to CX, they've rolled out Upgrade Bid to all destinations aside from India and Japan.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by swingaling

Just checked and the HKG-TPE and MNL-HKG legs are available for upgrade bids, but the BOS-HKG (and vv) legs are not available for upgrade (at this time, anyway).

Pricing:

Might be worth it for $200 or so per leg, but not much more than that. I can "suffer" in PE for a couple short 2hr flights.

I have another BOS-HKG trip coming up in 9 days, but it's not showing eligible for Upgrade Bid. Any idea why that might be? According to CX, they've rolled out Upgrade Bid to all destinations aside from India and Japan.
Not sure what your fare is, but I believe ex-USA Y+ fares CX allows you to travel in business class for certain intra-Asia sectors for ~100USD extra, both ways. You might have to pay for reissue, but still worth it probably.

Also, if just talking about TPE-HKG alone ex-TPE, for even just 180USD, this is more than the fare difference between round-trip E and round-trip I. I never understand this system. Seems it would be cheaper to buy a higher class ticket right away.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb

Pricing:

Sometimes they will just upgrade you to J if they operate an aircraft without PEY
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:44 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by SLGO
Sometimes they will just upgrade you to J if they operate an aircraft without PEY
That's not an upgrade, since it's to regional J
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Just saw that my PEK-HKG flight is eligible for upgrade bid....

To upgrade my Y seat (fare class Y), the bid range is from HK$4,520 to HK$9,000, with a suggested bid of HK$6,800......

But to upsell my Y fare seat to J fare, I only need to pay HK$4,800 for round trip (or HK$2,400 one way). So I pay nearly double and get less CPs and less luggage allowance.... Brilliant...

Update:

So happen I also have a HKG-SHA and HGH-HKG flight in system that allows me to put in a bid....

Both are HK$2,000 to HK$5,600 with suggested bid at HK$3,800 (plus $70 third runway construction fee for ex-HKG)... Honestly who will place a bid at such a price?

Last edited by sscywong; Nov 14, 2017 at 9:44 am
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: LH HON
FRA-HKG-SIN is on upgrade bid for premium economy, but even the lowest bid option is more expensive than simply changing the flight to premium economy right now via change flights option. Minimum bid for both is 1600 SGD - change flight is 739 SGD. Huh?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by sscywong
Just saw that my PEK-HKG flight is eligible for upgrade bid....

To upgrade my Y seat (fare class Y), the bid range is from HK$4,520 to HK$9,000, with a suggested bid of HK$6,800......

But to upsell my Y fare seat to J fare, I only need to pay HK$4,800 for round trip (or HK$2,400 one way). So I pay nearly double and get less CPs and less luggage allowance.... Brilliant...

Update:

So happen I also have a HKG-SHA and HGH-HKG flight in system that allows me to put in a bid....

Both are HK$2,000 to HK$5,600 with suggested bid at HK$3,800 (plus $70 third runway construction fee for ex-HKG)... Honestly who will place a bid at such a price?
Originally Posted by ckx2
FRA-HKG-SIN is on upgrade bid for premium economy, but even the lowest bid option is more expensive than simply changing the flight to premium economy right now via change flights option. Minimum bid for both is 1600 SGD - change flight is 739 SGD. Huh?
I guess they don't have a lowest price guarantee.

They probably want to be fair to those who buy upfront, but that defeats the point of having upgrade bidding (perhaps except for those whose tickets were paid for by employers and they like to sit in a better cabin).
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:36 pm

I personally believe this trial is made by some management trainee/mid-level management who feels they need to do something to remain relevant.

Later, before they rotate to another department/swire company they will say 'the trial has not been well received so let's forget about it'.

Just like many things that has been happening behind the scene at CX in recent years. I wonder why they're losing money and where waste is in this organisation???
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Yeah, that sounds about right. The "recommended" bid amount was ridiculous. $1,665 per leg (HKG-AKL). The minimum was $895, iirc. If you're comfortable paying the minimum bid amount for the upgrade, then that's what I'd bid. I'm guessing you'd have a pretty decent chance of it clearing.

The recommended amount is a bad joke. Seriously. If someone wanted to pay that much for the upgrade, they would've just purchased a J fare in the first place.
Similar experience here: the HKG - AKL segment of an upcoming trip is eligible for an upgrade bid from Premium Economy to Business, from £680 ("Poor") to £1750 ("Excellent").

The actual fare difference between PE and Biz on this segment is £1000 gbp at the moment, and I think the current "wisdom" on upgrade bids is for one's minimum offer to go a bit higher than 20 - 40 % of the fare difference.

While CX says they consider Marco Polo elite status in "weighting" an upgrade bid, not sure if they consider an equivalent OWE status in that "weighting."

Not sure if the bidding software essentially lowers the minimum offer threshold closer to their "55 hours before departure" cut-off, but I might wait and see......
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Monitoring this thread is like watching a fascinatingly bizarre science experiment..... what the hell????

These bid prices sound crazy!

And you don't even get extra miles or CP for the upgrade bid? Am I missing something? Why wouldn't you just buy the upfare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.