Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Has anyone tried CX US site's 24-hour cancellation policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT PRO

Long story short, company would only pay for economy class but I want to upfare myself to premium economy. Company allows me to purchase flights by myself and claim reimbursement afterwards using the e-ticket.

CX indicates "Notwithstanding any contrary booking terms and conditions and/or fare rules, for bookings made 7 days or earlier before departure via the internet on the US site, involving itineraries to/from the US, you can cancel paid reservations within 24 hours after purchase for a full refund in accordance with our refund process set out at Changes, Cancellation and Refund."

Has anyone tried if this also works on HK originated flights? i.e., if I bought a one-way flight from HKG to ORD on US website, am I entitled to the 24-hour no-penalty refund policy? I know it says "involving itineraries to/from US" but would just want to make sure because if they won't refund me I would just purchase from US carriers and claim refund.

I know this is kinda shady but would welcome any response. Thanks.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sunyafei
Long story short, company would only pay for economy class but I want to upfare myself to premium economy. Company allows me to purchase flights by myself and claim reimbursement afterwards using the e-ticket.

CX indicates "Notwithstanding any contrary booking terms and conditions and/or fare rules, for bookings made 7 days or earlier before departure via the internet on the US site, involving itineraries to/from the US, you can cancel paid reservations within 24 hours after purchase for a full refund in accordance with our refund process set out at Changes, Cancellation and Refund."

Has anyone tried if this also works on HK originated flights? i.e., if I bought a one-way flight from HKG to ORD on US website, am I entitled to the 24-hour no-penalty refund policy? I know it says "involving itineraries to/from US" but would just want to make sure because if they won't refund me I would just purchase from US carriers and claim refund.

I know this is kinda shady but would welcome any response. Thanks.
If you buy on the US website, the US law does apply.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by moondog
If you buy on the US website, the US law does apply.
Yes, but not sure if CX has a real US website. cathaypacific.us will be redirected to www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US.html, which I am uncertain if it is only an language option.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, I tried this a year ago when a colleague backed out of a China trip. No issues.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:59 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I think the main determinant is where your itinerary starts. If it starts somewhere in the US then US sale terms apply. You can't set your browser to the US site and then book a HK-LHR fare and get the cancellation policy.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Your best bet is to use a US OTA (expedia, priceline, orbitz etc) as these agencies will give you 24 hours (or more) to cancel.

If you use cathaypacific website and then decide not to provide you the 24 hour cancel, you will have to complaint to DOT with screenshot that you started on the CX US site.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
I think the main determinant is where your itinerary starts. If it starts somewhere in the US then US sale terms apply. You can't set your browser to the US site and then book a HK-LHR fare and get the cancellation policy.
I'm 99% sure that US law applies in this case.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm 99% sure that US law applies in this case.
US protection will not apply on an itinerary containing only HKG-LHR.

From page 20 of 76 FR 23110

We also view our approach as striking the proper balance between protecting consumers on nearly all flights to and from the United States by requiring not just U.S. carriers but also foreign carriers to adopt and adhere to customer service plans, while ensuring that these requirements do not involve an extraterritorial application of U.S. law by limiting their application to foreign carriers to flights to and from the U.S., sales made within the U.S., and to the conduct of foreign carriers on U.S. soil.
But if you buy from an US-based OTA, you would be able to void the ticket out within a minimum window of 24 hours.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT PRO
Thanks guys. I guess I will give CX US customer service a call...

Originally Posted by sxc
Well I am looking to purchase a flight from HKG to ORD. So the itinerary starts from HK, but involves flights "to/from the US". I suppose it would be covered?

It's funny that in the so-called "CX US site", this refund policy is clearly shown in the terms and conditions before you hit the purchase button; whereas in the HK site, this policy is hidden inside some hyperlink.

Originally Posted by levistrauss
Yes, I tried this a year ago when a colleague backed out of a China trip. No issues.
Great to know the success story here. Thank you!

Originally Posted by seawolf
Your best bet is to use a US OTA (expedia, priceline, orbitz etc) as these agencies will give you 24 hours (or more) to cancel.

If you use cathaypacific website and then decide not to provide you the 24 hour cancel, you will have to complaint to DOT with screenshot that you started on the CX US site.
That indeed sounds like trouble if I need to complain to DOT....
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
US protection will not apply on an itinerary containing only HKG-LHR.
Touche, but hkg-ord is certainly covered, and I highly doubt CX would fight this.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: CX DM, Shang Jade, Hyatt Globalist
I bought a SIN-HKG-JFK rt ticket on https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_SG.html last August and cancelled within 24 hours with no issue. It was more than 7 days out.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: FB Gold
So reviving this thread with a related issue.

I booked a ticket direct on CX's website on 16. Nov originating from EWR, and then due to a change in my work schedule, cancelled the original itinerary and booked another ticket within 24h.

I got the confirmation mail, but didn't realise there was a separate Refund Form I had to fill out, so I submitted that form on 29 Nov. I got a refund of the original fare, but less the -150$ change fee. I called the CX office today and they put in a message and will look into it.

However, my understanding is that since the itinerary was cancelled within 24h, I should not be charged/deducted the 150$ fee regardless when I submitted the refund form. Is my reasoning correct ?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by mlin32
So reviving this thread with a related issue.

I booked a ticket direct on CX's website on 16. Nov originating from EWR, and then due to a change in my work schedule, cancelled the original itinerary and booked another ticket within 24h.

I got the confirmation mail, but didn't realise there was a separate Refund Form I had to fill out, so I submitted that form on 29 Nov. I got a refund of the original fare, but less the -150$ change fee. I called the CX office today and they put in a message and will look into it.

However, my understanding is that since the itinerary was cancelled within 24h, I should not be charged/deducted the 150$ fee regardless when I submitted the refund form. Is my reasoning correct ?
Is your original flight within 7 days of Nov 16?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Is your original flight within 7 days of Nov 16?
The difference between the two bookings was that I return a day later.

Trip begins/departs 06 Jan 2018.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by mlin32
The difference between the two bookings was that I return a day later.

Trip begins/departs 06 Jan 2018.
I would call them. The LA (US line) should work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.