Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This thread is to discuss the wi-fi experience on the A350.

Discussion on 777 / A330 retrofit is discussed in this thread:

​​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1877788-wi-fi-777s-a330s-2020-a.html
Print Wikipost

FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Hello all,

Needed to get some work done while on a flight to HKG next weekend and so will have to get the WiFi pass when flying CX650. Hopefully it does not change craft. Anyone tried tethering the connection off their laptop to phone vice versa? How is the connection?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
The WiFi service was powered by Panasonic (T-Mobile) satellite internet and offered fast speeds of 2.0Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. This is sufficient to get work done on a flight. Full details can be found towards the bottom of my review.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Hello all,

Needed to get some work done while on a flight to HKG next weekend and so will have to get the WiFi pass when flying CX650. Hopefully it does not change craft. Anyone tried tethering the connection off their laptop to phone vice versa? How is the connection?
Yes, I've done what you ask. It only allows one connection at a time but works seamlessly. You log in to your computer and the phone logs out, and vice versa.

Connection is excellent albeit with variability flight to flight. Some flights you can even stream videos, others it's really only practical for email and whatnot. I can't figure out what drives it. I had my slowest CX WiFi experience to BKK recently - multiple times service went down, or email was struggling to upload attachments of less than a MB - whereas to TPE last week it was blinding speed to where I could watch Bloomberg videos. Both flights were full house according to ISM. I feel fairly confident in this assessment, I think I've used WiFi 20x or so now. Pretty much every time I fly A350 I use it. However, don't let my bad experience to BKK dissuade you; even then I was highly productive, and the service was comparable to QR on a "normal" day.

Of the airlines I fly consistently CX is either the best, or one of the best, in terms of of intl flights. Blows JL, QR and EK out of the water. SQ has those miniscule datacaps per plan and also has slower connection, to boot. CX has some major problems but wifi (on the A350...) ain't one!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Hello all,

One thing you could try is to connect a travel router to the wifi and hotspot it to your devices. Technically you're not supposed to have any transmitting features on so I'm sure the people around here who never break the rules will have something to say. I tethered off my phone via cable to my laptop, it worked nicely but my speeds were a bit slow on this flight.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:28 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Some posts related to wifi on the 777s have been moved:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...0s-2020-a.html

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.