FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:16 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Hello all,

Needed to get some work done while on a flight to HKG next weekend and so will have to get the WiFi pass when flying CX650. Hopefully it does not change craft. Anyone tried tethering the connection off their laptop to phone vice versa? How is the connection?
Yes, I've done what you ask. It only allows one connection at a time but works seamlessly. You log in to your computer and the phone logs out, and vice versa.

Connection is excellent albeit with variability flight to flight. Some flights you can even stream videos, others it's really only practical for email and whatnot. I can't figure out what drives it. I had my slowest CX WiFi experience to BKK recently - multiple times service went down, or email was struggling to upload attachments of less than a MB - whereas to TPE last week it was blinding speed to where I could watch Bloomberg videos. Both flights were full house according to ISM. I feel fairly confident in this assessment, I think I've used WiFi 20x or so now. Pretty much every time I fly A350 I use it. However, don't let my bad experience to BKK dissuade you; even then I was highly productive, and the service was comparable to QR on a "normal" day.

Of the airlines I fly consistently CX is either the best, or one of the best, in terms of of intl flights. Blows JL, QR and EK out of the water. SQ has those miniscule datacaps per plan and also has slower connection, to boot. CX has some major problems but wifi (on the A350...) ain't one!