Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX Ex Taipei consequences for not returning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX Ex Taipei consequences for not returning

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo, Asia Miles, Hotels.com
Originally Posted by DaveWevaD
I'm confused. You want to go to Vancouver, yet you're booking TPE-HKG-YYZ-HKG-TPE???
Hi Dave - apologies - i meant Vancouver (YVR) - must be due to the face of where my uni was - but I'm actually planning a trip to Vancouver (YVR) this November/ December.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Are you sure Guy? I've always managed to get JFK/EWR to check my bag only to HKG (I need to drop some for my relatives) and then recheck them in HKG to TPE. Then again I'm not ex-TPE so maybe that's the difference?
Thanks Cathay Boy - that's good to hear. Is your ticket a one way EWR - HKG - TPE or round trip EWR-HKG-TPE-TPE-HKG-EWR? Just wondering whether a round trip ticket vs. a one way will make a difference
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

1) u can cancel hkg-tpe as a reservation, then noshow isnt a problem
2) u can ask to retrieve bags at hkg, theres nothing they can stop you even if ur bags were tagged to hinterland. They wont fly ur bags if ure not on the plane.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

2) u can ask to retrieve bags at hkg, theres nothing they can stop you even if ur bags were tagged to hinterland. They wont fly ur bags if ure not on the plane.
Thanks for getting back - do I ask to retrieve the bags at HKG when I am checking in?

Also, ask I haven't ride on a non-direct Cathay flight before, if I don't ride one of the segments, I can just cancel it online?

How about say it's ex-TPE, can I cancel the TPE segment and ask to get on in HKG instead?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by beautywinkieee
Thanks for getting back - do I ask to retrieve the bags at HKG when I am checking in?

Also, ask I haven't ride on a non-direct Cathay flight before, if I don't ride one of the segments, I can just cancel it online?

How about say it's ex-TPE, can I cancel the TPE segment and ask to get on in HKG instead?
That's the problem...

For people originating in USA, to TPE, you can short check your bags as per Cathay Boy because he is actually going to TPE but need to off load a bag or two in HKG, and his ticket shows onward flights. So CX knows he will continue with his flights.

But for OP - he is buying a ex-TPE ticket and this is the last bit of his ticket. I have heard that outbound stations are known to not short check the bag to HKG when the ticket ends in TPE. So just so you know that it might not happen if the check in agent refuses to do above. But it will be your lucky day if the agent agrees.

But be aware that for many ex-TPE tickets issued by CX, there are instructions on the reservation that are not visible to the passenger but only to the reservations or check in agent. Calling and asking what it is won't help either.. but generally the remarks might be something along the lines of :

NO STOP ALLOWED IN HKG
ALL CHANGES MUST BE REFERRED TO ISSUING OFFICE

I am only assuming on the above remarks but I've seen CX put put such remarks on some other tickets, eg ex-CMB.

So long as you know the risks.. and have a ticket for the TPE-HKG sector ready, then you're ok.

1) Actually no, OP can't. If he cancels the HKG-TPE sector before he travels, his entire ticket will be deemed unusable and the ticket will be repriced before he can use it.

2) Refer to above.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jan 4, 2015 at 5:46 am
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Doing a skip-last-leg once might go under the radar. Making it a habit might not. There are, in the many threads in various boards on FT hoardes of posters saying not to worry, but the lesser number of posters describing their FFP account beeing audited, very rarely come back and tell about the outcome.

Putting myself in your position, I'd try to get a cheap return HKG-TPE and fly the last leg. No worries for sure, and no probs using a cheap TPE fare again
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:39 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by beautywinkieee

100% won't work. You MUST start the trip where the ticket was issued; ex TPE, CMB, BKK, where ever. If you tried to check in from HKG, your ticket will be illegal.

I might add, there's a kid in the States that's being sued by one of the airlines and Travelocity (i believe), for promoting hidden city tickets on his blog. Basically, ditching the last portion of the ticket.

Last edited by 77W_12A; Jan 4, 2015 at 6:45 am
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

Tbh, if u can deal with local press, you can defo get away with as many ex tpe as you want. I dont see cx wanting this to get on apple daily at all.

"I paid and skipped a leg, and cx wants to bill me extra for skipping a leg!" Sounds like sth cx would lose out more by letting more people to know of this trick.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by gemini573
100% won't work. You MUST start the trip where the ticket was issued; ex TPE, CMB, BKK, where ever. If you tried to check in from HKG, your ticket will be illegal.

I might add, there's a kid in the States that's being sued by one of the airlines and Travelocity (i believe), for promoting hidden city tickets on his blog. Basically, ditching the last portion of the ticket.
No, if you read the entire thread , you can see that OP wants to skip only the last bit and not start in HKG.

The kid is being sued by UA and Orbitz, not Travelocity.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What will you do if there is an IRROPs on the return trip and they route directly to TPE or another interim stop instead of HKG?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:53 pm

Tbh, if u can deal with local press, you can defo get away with as many ex tpe as you want. I dont see cx wanting this to get on apple daily at all.

"I paid and skipped a leg, and cx wants to bill me extra for skipping a leg!" Sounds like sth cx would lose out more by letting more people to know of this trick.
Cannot / should not just think brandishing Apple will scare people in capitulating when you are wrong. On this occasion, CX is within its rights and not OP. The more fuss the OP kicks up the worse it gets for him. For example, if the OP insists on starting his journey in HKG instead of TPE (ie skipping first TPE-HKG) and is not allowed by CX to board, will calling Apple do any good? Will you advise OP to call Apple if CX does not allow him to start in HK? If not, how does it make a difference if he insists on stopping in HK and making it clear by insisting that bags stop in HKG? (I am using this as an example as you said above to use "I paid and skipped a leg..." to force CX via Apple to yield under public pressure.)

Apple does not have the final say in the matter. The Court does.

It is highly likely that the terms of the ticket provide that skipping the last leg will entitle CX to charge the OP the difference between original in HKG and in TPE (which they can easily do via credit card or Court action since they have OP's details including passport / ID card). Whilst CX is often generous / lax about these things for a variety of reasons, pushing CX to a public showdown when CX is within its rights and OP is breaking the terms of the ticket will spell disaster for the OP.

Here, the OP is buying an ex-TPE ticket to save money. Is he prepared to face CX in Court in an action which he will lose, with the result that he will be ordered by the Court to top up to the price of a ticket orginating from HKG AND also pay CX's legal fees which will be MANY times that of the J ticket? On top of all this, CX will not fly him in future. Is this what OP wants? Is this in his best interest?

Taking such action may actually be wise for CX - on the one hand, they can preserve the ex-TPE prices and that market, on the other hand, they avoid the abuse of those skipping the last segment. It also serves those who wish to save a pretty penny by buying ex-TPE, so long as they abide by the terms of the ticket and stop and finish in TPE. This is a lot better than CX axing the vastly cheaper fare.

Last edited by IncyWincy; Jan 4, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:07 pm

duplicate post.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by onobond
Doing a skip-last-leg once might go under the radar. Making it a habit might not. There are, in the many threads in various boards on FT hoardes of posters saying not to worry, but the lesser number of posters describing their FFP account beeing audited, very rarely come back and tell about the outcome.

Putting myself in your position, I'd try to get a cheap return HKG-TPE and fly the last leg. No worries for sure, and no probs using a cheap TPE fare again
Perhaps in the US but I have yet to see a single instance of CX playing heavy regarding this, as others have said they simply have no choice to avoid impacting their ex-TW market revenue. The approach over the last few years has been to adjust fare conditions proactively (such as limiting or removing stopovers) to proactively signal to the market.

(Not sure what FFP auditing would have to do with it either - Asia Miles is a seperate entity, I can see them coming after you for a repriced ticket but why would they bother monkeying with your miles?)
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Cannot / should not just think brandishing Apple will scare people in capitulating when you are wrong. On this occasion, CX is within its rights and not OP. The more fuss the OP kicks up the worse it gets for him. For example, if the OP insists on starting his journey in HKG instead of TPE (ie skipping first TPE-HKG) and is not allowed by CX to board, will calling Apple do any good? Will you advise OP to call Apple if CX does not allow him to start in HK? If not, how does it make a difference if he insists on stopping in HK and making it clear by insisting that bags stop in HKG? (I am using this as an example as you said above to use "I paid and skipped a leg..." to force CX via Apple to yield under public pressure.)

Apple does not have the final say in the matter. The Court does.

It is highly likely that the terms of the ticket provide that skipping the last leg will entitle CX to charge the OP the difference between original in HKG and in TPE (which they can easily do via credit card or Court action since they have OP's details including passport / ID card). Whilst CX is often generous / lax about these things for a variety of reasons, pushing CX to a public showdown when CX is within its rights and OP is breaking the terms of the ticket will spell disaster for the OP.

Here, the OP is buying an ex-TPE ticket to save money. Is he prepared to face CX in Court in an action which he will lose, with the result that he will be ordered by the Court to top up to the price of a ticket orginating from HKG AND also pay CX's legal fees which will be MANY times that of the J ticket? On top of all this, CX will not fly him in future. Is this what OP wants? Is this in his best interest?

Taking such action may actually be wise for CX - on the one hand, they can preserve the ex-TPE prices and that market, on the other hand, they avoid the abuse of those skipping the last segment. It also serves those who wish to save a pretty penny by buying ex-TPE, so long as they abide by the terms of the ticket and stop and finish in TPE. This is a lot better than CX axing the vastly cheaper fare.
Thanks guys~ Really appreciate your help on this.. I guess that's why CX has been continuously allowing the lower fare ex TPE - people actually need to go back to TPE. Thankfully a roundtrip ticket to TPE is rather cheap. I guess I will fly all the way to TPE and do it the safe way.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by yohy?!
(Not sure what FFP auditing would have to do with it either - Asia Miles is a seperate entity, I can see them coming after you for a repriced ticket but why would they bother monkeying with your miles?)
I think the posters meant when referring to Asia Miles that CX can track the passenger's details easily, not saying that CX would deprive passenger of miles.

Last edited by IncyWincy; Jan 4, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.