Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX Ex Taipei consequences for not returning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
My friend did the same thing a few months ago:
Using Asia miles to redeem a one-way ticket HKG-TPE, then get a CX business class ticket from TPE-LAX, for the return trip she had chosen a flight pair that next departure time (HKG-TPE) will be 10+ hrs after arrival (LAX-HKG), she requested to get the bag @HKG when she was checking in @LAX. Her colleague did the same thing with another US destination as well.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:25 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by fakeman
Well, there exist another option: Departing from CAN (Guangzhou)
HKG-DEL always costs 16xxx HKD, while CAN-DEL is just about 31xx CNY
You can simply pay for a train from HKG + 1 overnight stay in CAN airport with < 1500 CNY....
Thank you! That's good to know as I plan on doing another India trip later this year.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Well, there exist another option: Departing from CAN (Guangzhou)
HKG-DEL always costs 16xxx HKD, while CAN-DEL is just about 31xx CNY
You can simply pay for a train from HKG + 1 overnight stay in CAN airport with < 1500 CNY....
I believe you need to buy it from http://www.nandatravel.com/contact/ for CX's FLTs between HKG and India, if originating from HKG.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I believe you need to buy it from http://www.nandatravel.com/contact/ for CX's FLTs between HKG and India, if originating from HKG.
Any HK based travel agent will do, and they will buy it from Nanda Travel and might charge you around HK$50 more.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

OT but wow!! CX must really value GCN for their exclusivity gig to still be running 6+ years on...

Last edited by jagmeets; Jan 7, 2015 at 6:36 am
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by DaveWevaD
Or easier yet, just strictly enforce the no show fee penalty to their credit card / travel agency that booked the ticket.
The no show fee is for people who want to rebook.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: Skyward gold, MH Enrich gold
How about doing a stop over in HKG on your return trip? You luggages will be checked to HKG only and you can conveniently forget about your HKG -TPE flight after that
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:42 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Ksmax
How about doing a stop over in HKG on your return trip? You luggages will be checked to HKG only and you can conveniently forget about your HKG -TPE flight after that
1) Sometimes stopover isnt allowed.
2) we should all evaluate what happens at our worst case.
3) i know someone hk based who did it 3 times ladt yr n cx hadnt pulled the trigger yet.

Variables in cx clamping down: lose revenue in ppl flying other airlines, future revenue gain, lost revenue claim, legal proceedings, media/pr backlash.

From what i hear, there are way more locals doing this than it is here in FT. And cx has a general apple daily scare
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Honestly "ex-TPE fare" is no longer a secret anymore... People willing to "trade" 6 hours for a 40% off... Nothing else CX can do...

One way CX may do would be to increase TPE turnaround time to increase the "implicit cost" of the "discount"...
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I'm new to this agency, can you explain it a bit?
Because everytime I travel from HKG to India (MAA/DEL) I just bought my ticket from CX, do you mean buying from nadatravel will be cheaper?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:08 am

Right now I'm looking for HKG-SYD trip, departing from CAN seems to have pretty good pricing.
But to be honest, HKG-SYD with that price I usually fly with QF or SQ, especially SQ their A380 cabin + meals (you can pre-book!) are a lot better than CX
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: CX GO, Miles&Smiles Elite, Accor Plus Diamond
Because everytime I travel from HKG to India (MAA/DEL) I just bought my ticket from CX, do you mean buying from nadatravel will be cheaper?
Always buy from the travel agent in HK. You can get V fare instead of the Y from CX website.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
My understanding is that CX gave GC Nanda the exclusive right to sell non-full-fare HKG-India (O&D) TKTs.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:28 am

Then I understand why I can see non Y economy (I saw so-called JAL but actually operated by CX with B fare) and even W premium economy in Kayak/Orbitz (CX official web only sells Y and no premium econ)
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Right now I'm looking for HKG-SYD trip, departing from CAN seems to have pretty good pricing.
But to be honest, HKG-SYD with that price I usually fly with QF or SQ, especially SQ their A380 cabin + meals (you can pre-book!) are a lot better than CX
big time penalty for transiting with SQ though - 380 is nice but CX 330/77W product is pretty competitive for business travellers looking to maximise rest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.