Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
Thanks for that. I was actually referring to BA though.
Apologies. I need to read the question more carefully!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Thanks...just trying to glean as much info as possible.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:27 pm

Did you book this route?

Originally Posted by AICML
I'm looking to fly:

SFO-HKG-JNB-CPT (stopover)
(open jaw) DUR-JNB-HKG-SFO

which exceeds the normal CX chart for transfers. However, there's only one additional one world carrier BA Comair (I think Comair counts?) versus 2. I assume if I want to book this itinerary I would have to fly SFO-LAX on AA to ensure I have two one world flights in additional to CX?

I'm interested in something similar, although I'm just starting to understand the rules for Cathay. Did you determine what the price in miles & taxes will be? How is the availability?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Does anyone have experience (or know if it is possible) changing from Business Class to PY or Y class of a flight segment after part of the itinerary has been used? Or perhaps even a different airline for the same route?

Basically, I have flown two segments of the itinerary (in business class). Due to family emergency, the itinerary is now completely messed up. I need to change the flight date of LAX-NRT. However, JL doesn't seem to have any availability in business class while there are some spaces for PY and F class... I don't want to waste the ticket if possible...... Thank you!!

PS. According to expertflyer, there is availability on JL61 in C/D/J but I is 0 for most days.... Does anyone know if these indicate anything for award spaces? Thank you....

Last edited by l380; Sep 21, 2017 at 1:09 pm
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:51 am

Hi all,

regarding award availability, am trying to book my first ever oneworld redemption but finding award availability is a PITA, not so much that I don't know how to navigate the different websites (BA, AA, JL, QF) but more so that if I want to make use of the oneworld chart to book 2 separate longhauls, by the time the second trip becomes available to book, award availability for the first would have dried up, thinking of doing Dec '18 and Apr '19. Is it possible to book a trip when award availabilty opens up in Dec '17 and then add the following flights in Apr '18 for a fee?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:36 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by l380
Does anyone have experience (or know if it is possible) changing from Business Class to PY or Y class of a flight segment after part of the itinerary has been used? Or perhaps even a different airline for the same route?
Oneworld redemption? No
I can do this on AM redemptions, if they were reissued into two one-ways before departures.

Originally Posted by l380
Basically, I have flown two segments of the itinerary (in business class). Due to family emergency, the itinerary is now completely messed up. I need to change the flight date of LAX-NRT. However, JL doesn't seem to have any availability in business class while there are some spaces for PY and F class... I don't want to waste the ticket if possible...... Thank you!!
Sorry, no can do. I've ticketed a NRT-YVR-NRT for YVR uncle and threw away the return leg.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by waver99
regarding award availability, am trying to book my first ever oneworld redemption but finding award availability is a PITA, not so much that I don't know how to navigate the different websites (BA, AA, JL, QF) but more so that if I want to make use of the oneworld chart to book 2 separate longhauls, by the time the second trip becomes available to book, award availability for the first would have dried up, thinking of doing Dec '18 and Apr '19. Is it possible to book a trip when award availabilty opens up in Dec '17 and then add the following flights in Apr '18 for a fee?
Yes sure,
HKG-(CX)xDOH-(QR)xGRU-(JJ)oAEP/EZE-(BA)oLHR-(CX)HKG

--> HKG-(CX)xDOH-(QR)oEZE/AEP-(LA)RGL//USH-(LA)xAEP-(LA)oIGR-(LA)xAEP/EZE-(BA)oLHR-(CX)HKG (eventually, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...practices.html)

Ideally it better not include QR
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Yes sure,
HKG-(CX)xDOH-(QR)xGRU-(JJ)oAEP/EZE-(BA)oLHR-(CX)HKG

--> HKG-(CX)xDOH-(QR)oEZE/AEP-(LA)RGL//USH-(LA)xAEP-(LA)oIGR-(LA)xAEP/EZE-(BA)oLHR-(CX)HKG (eventually, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...practices.html)

Ideally it better not include QR
Thanks much,

how much did it cost you to add the additional segments? Further, could I ask if you could extend beyond 1 year for the additional flights? Basically my miles expire in Apr '18. Could I ticket the first segment in Dec '17, and then add in the new segment in Apr '18 for Apr '19, i.e. beyond 1 year from issuing but within the original expiry of the miles.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Oneworld redemption? No
I can do this on AM redemptions, if they were reissued into two one-ways before departures.

Sorry, no can do. I've ticketed a NRT-YVR-NRT for YVR uncle and threw away the return leg.
Might be worth calling in. I have voluntarily downgraded a CX SIN-HKG sector on a multi carrier award in the past.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:04 am

how much did it cost you to add the additional segments?
Cancellation (and reissue) fee us$120 or 12,000 AM

Further, could I ask if you could extend beyond 1 year for the additional flights? Basically my miles expire in Apr '18. Could I ticket the first segment in Dec '17, and then add in the new segment in Apr '18 for Apr '19, i.e. beyond 1 year from issuing but within the original expiry of the miles.
Yes the cancellation and reissue action extends your used miles by one year
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Oneworld redemption? No

Unfortunately, that is most likely the case..... The oneworld redemption was business class between 18,000 to 20,000 miles, costing 140,000AM each and the two of us only used less than 25% of the itinerary..... That is why I want to salvage as much as I possibly can....

Thanks for your reply anyways
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Would the below itinerary be valid?

HKG-(QR)-xDOH-(QR)-oTXL-// //-oCPH-(AY)-xHEL-(AY)oHKG-// //-oNRT-(JL)-HKG
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:56 pm

Cancellation (and reissue) fee us$120 or 12,000 AM

Yes the cancellation and reissue action extends your used miles by one year
Which means that theoretically I could add flights beyond the original issue date?

E.g.
Scenario 1 (miles expire Apr '18):
-Jun '17 originally ticket issued with first flight departing Dec '17
-Dec '17 add new flights at the end departing on Dec '18

Scenario 2 (miles expire Apr '18):
-Jun '17 originally ticket issued with first flight departing Dec '17
-May '18 add new flights at the end departing on May '19

Meaning that I can book my last flight for an itinerary more than 1 year out from the first flight departure date?

Sorry guys, just really confused here and thanks for all the patience!

Also I will not be nesting flights inbtwn but adding flights at the end say for e.g. HKG-DOH-MAD-EZE-DOH-HKG and then call again after a couple months to add HKG-NRT-HKG so that it becomes HKG-DOH-MAD-EZE-DOH-HKG-NRT-HKG. Is that ok as well?

Last edited by waver99; Sep 25, 2017 at 12:14 am
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:48 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
No - the expiry date of any miles recredited would be one year later. You can then reuse them for a new booking. But no ticket can have a validity of more than 1 year from the first flight.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by christep
No - the expiry date of any miles recredited would be one year later. You can then reuse them for a new booking. But no ticket can have a validity of more than 1 year from the first flight.
Hi chris.

So both scenarion 1 & 2 is valid correct as all added-on flights are well within the 1 year from first flight out ( just not within the 1 year from initial issuance). Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.