Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: asiamiles
Originally Posted by cxjumbo
I would say HKG MLE roundtrip which is 5948 miles in distance.
This is insane!! not sure i will go though, i need a bf first :P

thx still!!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:58 pm

Wondering if anyone know whether this hypothetical routing is considered valid:

JFK-NRT JL
NRT-HKG CX
HKG-SGN CX
LHR-JFK AA (open jaw?)

I don't need a return flight from SGN since already have a return flight booked from there. I do need tack on something to make it a round-trip flight. Is the open jaw restricted to a region? If not, would the last leg be enough to make this a valid routing?

Last edited by awardace; Feb 7, 2017 at 10:23 pm
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by awardace
Wondering if anyone know whether this hypothetical routing is considered valid:

JFK-NRT JL
NRT-HKG CX
HKG-SGN CX
LHR-JFK AA (open jaw?)

I don't need a return flight from SGN since already have a return flight booked from there. I do need tack on something to make it a round-trip flight. Is the open jaw restricted to a region? If not, would the last leg be enough to make this a valid routing?
I believe you can even just add a Toronto-New York on AA instead (if they fly it), rather than LHR-JFK. As long as the final segment back into the origin country is an international flight, you are good to go.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
I believe you can even just add a Toronto-New York on AA instead (if they fly it), rather than LHR-JFK. As long as the final segment back into the origin country is an international flight, you are good to go.
Called in to price, you are correct! Another question: are mixed cabin awards possible on multi-carrier awards?

Having trouble finding seats on JFK-NRT in business, but see BOS-NRT has a couple seats open. LGA-BOS is only available in economy—could I swing a mixed cabin LGA-BOS-NRT as one leg of the award?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by awardace
Called in to price, you are correct! Another question: are mixed cabin awards possible on multi-carrier awards?

Having trouble finding seats on JFK-NRT in business, but see BOS-NRT has a couple seats open. LGA-BOS is only available in economy—could I swing a mixed cabin LGA-BOS-NRT as one leg of the award?
I don't see why not - after all, plenty of flights are single-class or two-class, even if you are paying for an F redemption for example.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:06 am

New 35000-mile Multi-Carrier Ticket

Looking at a new 35000 mile itinerary.. but need to first verify about a 72-hour transit visa for Japan for China national.

Last edited by polarpacific; May 4, 2017 at 4:24 am
Old May 25, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hi all and apologies in advance as I'm totally unfamiliar with AM redemptions. I did a bit of searching but don't have a clear answer...

Friend of mine is trying to book a multi carrier AM award for 190k (35000 miles band). Availability is almost non existent for travel in June. They managed to find an itinerary, but AM is invalidating because they say that stopovers must be stopovers... ie more than 24 hours.. you can't use one of your five stopovers as a transfer/transit.

I read some old guides to AM that say you can use a stopover as a transit/transfer. Which seems to make sense.

Is AM correct? Or can you use a stopover as transit? (I think the ticket in total wants 4 transitcities and 3 stops)

Thanks in advance.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, CX MPC Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Hi all and apologies in advance as I'm totally unfamiliar with AM redemptions. I did a bit of searching but don't have a clear answer...

Friend of mine is trying to book a multi carrier AM award for 190k (35000 miles band). Availability is almost non existent for travel in June. They managed to find an itinerary, but AM is invalidating because they say that stopovers must be stopovers... ie more than 24 hours.. you can't use one of your five stopovers as a transfer/transit.

I read some old guides to AM that say you can use a stopover as a transit/transfer. Which seems to make sense.

Is AM correct? Or can you use a stopover as transit? (I think the ticket in total wants 4 transitcities and 3 stops)

Thanks in advance.
I am 99.9% sure that one can use a stopover as a transit.

Suggest that your friend hangs up and try calling again, the agents are different and some are more willing to help than others.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2017, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

Thanks in advance.
Correct - you can use a stopover as a transit. It might affect the calculation of taxes etc. but it's definitely allowed.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Never ran into this issue, but I do recall telling them 'ticket this as a stopover rather than a transit with additional taxes' in the past..
Old May 26, 2017, 6:36 am

Want to add a +1 here. I successfully redeemed an award with four transits after three calls to AM Cantonese hotline last month.

As Psychiatrist and jagmeets said, you need to specifically tell the agent which transit(s) should be ticketed as stopover(s). Just insist this is legimate and ask him to input into the system. The "fake-stopover" may introduce extra departure tax/surcharge so you better pick the country/airport charge less.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks everyone I'll pass that on!
Old May 26, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by lewisyu
Want to add a +1 here. I successfully redeemed an award with four transits after three calls to AM Cantonese hotline last month.

As Psychiatrist and jagmeets said, you need to specifically tell the agent which transit(s) should be ticketed as stopover(s). Just insist this is legimate and ask him to input into the system. The "fake-stopover" may introduce extra departure tax/surcharge so you better pick the country/airport charge less.
And don't make that LHR (APD)..and focus on another city where flexibility to change dates later on would be valuable!
Old May 26, 2017, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Some agents are clueless and needs education on that. Or tell a manager to intervene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.