Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

AA or CX: Which FFP is better if you want to fly from US to Asia Frequently

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond

I posted this on the AA forum but I think it's more relative to this forum because I need more information about CX than I do for AA.

Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a die hard AA Ex-Plat but I forsee flying to MNL about three times per year and to NRT about six times going forward. I'm thinking about jumping ship to CX's FF program but I want to weigh the benefits especially with the benefits of using miles on other One World Partners.

Some of the mileage redemptions using CX's miles are pretty outstanding and I can fly BA Biz Class from NY to LHR and earn miles instead of always routing through AA with an inferior C class product. However, losing those coveted AA EVIPs will be hard to swallow since I can use them on my numerous MIA-GIG or JFK-GRU/GIG routes.

Is the grass greener on the other side?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
1. What class would you be travelling in for your trips to Asia? If in Y, only YBH fares accrue EQMs on AAdvantage while on MPO, YBHKMLV fares can earn Club Miles.

2. What do you treasure the most, in terms of benefits? Lounge access? Awards and/or upgrades? etc.

Originally Posted by NYC1K
Some of the mileage redemptions using CX's miles are pretty outstanding
Could you give us a few examples...? With AA's earn/burn ratio, I've found that almost if not all redemptions are easier with AAdvantage.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kchika
1. What class would you be travelling in for your trips to Asia? If in Y, only YBH fares accrue EQMs on AAdvantage while on MPO, YBHKMLV fares can earn Club Miles.

2. What do you treasure the most, in terms of benefits? Lounge access? Awards and/or upgrades? etc.

Could you give us a few examples...? With AA's earn/burn ratio, I've found that almost if not all redemptions are easier with AAdvantage.
Thanks for your quick response. I will be flying mostly Y and I can do H fares which I have already booked for a trip in Feb. I treasure lounge benefits and ability to get award trips when I want to fly not when the airline wants me to.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by NYC1K
I posted this on the AA forum but I think it's more relative to this forum because I need more information about CX than I do for AA.

Thanks
If you already that did, you should have known that crossposting is not allowed especially when its the SAME question.

As its more "AAdvantage" for you to check your answers over at the AA forum, this thread will be closed.

Guy Betsy
Cathay Pacific Asiamiles forum moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.