Search

Early baggage check-in - JFK and HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Early baggage check-in - JFK and HKG

Couple of baggage check-in questions.

I'll be flying JFK-HKG-TPE next month. Taking the 9:15am flight out of JFK, and flying in (on a different ticket) on USAirways the night before. Noticed that US and CX both use terminal 7 at JFK and assume that CX check-in will be open because of the late flight out - can I check my bags at JFK on arrival, before taking the AirTrain to the hotel shuttle?

In HKG, we have about a 24-hour layover/stopover. Will CX check bags through to TPE with that long a layover, or are there baggage lockers to store them overnight before taking the Airport Express into Kowloon?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:17 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I don't think you can check in at JFK earlier than 4 hours. USAirways might check the bag through to CX, but you would need to check with them on check in.

For HKG, I think CX will check the bags through to TPE for you. If your flight was originating in HKG, you are able to check in the night before at the airport express station, so checking through with an overnight layover shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks...our layover in HKG is scheduled to be a little over 24 hours, but we can change the HKG-TPE flight pretty easily. Checking bags through will just make things easier, especially traveling with an infant.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by sxc
I don't think you can check in at JFK earlier than 4 hours.
I have once checked bags and obtained BPs for CX889 when the counter was open for CX831 (that's about 8 hours earlier). Don't know if it's possible to do it the night before, though.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:20 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
JFK prohibits baggage check-in the day before for security reasons. US won't be able to interline your bags to CX at JFK so you are stuck with taking the bags out of the airport and back again the next morning.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
JFK prohibits baggage check-in the day before for security reasons. US won't be able to interline your bags to CX at JFK so you are stuck with taking the bags out of the airport and back again the next morning.
Thanks...we almost never check bags, but the game changes when traveling with an infant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.