Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-HKG in F Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2008, 4:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

JFK-HKG in F Class

I haven't travelled on this route for quite a long time. I have the following questions on the 889 service in F Class:

1) Do they still give you access to the BA Club World Pre-Dinning facilities but not the Concorde Room facilities

2) They don't serve the caviar and salmon (non Balik) anymore ex JFK, so what is the replacement appetiser?

3) Do they give out the ST PJs and Amenity Kits at both JFK and YVR?

At the moment I have both options of 831 and 889. I personally prefer 889 as I can stay in NYC until early evening before heading to JFK, however which flights is better in terms of overall comfort and experience. I think to minimise jetlag, the non stop serivce is better as u arrive in the evening and should be able to adjust to HKG time better than arrving in the morning. However I don't know how the service and catering is on the Non stop flight (given such a long duration, the crew might not be as attentive and chances of food options running out). The only issue with the 889 is the YVR based crews (on both JFK-YVR and YVR-HKG) which in my experience is quite inconsistent. From my experience the HKG based crew is still the best in terms of service quality and consistency.

In terms of the YVR transits, I remember in the past for J and F pax they allow you to stay on the plane. However is it possible to get off the plane and go through immigration and go through international transit to use the lounge. If I assign different seatings for the 2 sectors I should be able to get 2 seperate boarding passes (JFK-YVR and YVR-HKG).

Finally on the 77A I forgot where the D Row opens to which side in F Class? Is it the A or K Side?

Sorry for such a long set of questions, thanks for all your assistance in advance.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 6:49 am

Programs: CX-DM
1. You have access to BA Pre Dining in Terrance Lounge on the J side. But, I think it closes around 10pm. Food isn't that great. You do not have access to Concorde Room.

2. Caviar is served.

3. You only get 1 set of PJ and Amenity Kit.

4. D opens to K side, but there is more foot traffic on the left. I found most FA walks on the left.

5. You only get one boarding pass if you take 889. You stay on the plane while in transit in Vancouver.

6. Personally, I prefer the direct flights 831/841. You will get to HK a lot faster with uninterrupted sleep or rest.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Omoleel
2. Caviar is served.
Caviar is not served on JFK-HKG, as the OP notes. It would be a regular choice of appetizers. There are probably some menus posted in the menu thread (duh) at the top of the main CX forum page. I know I posted my 889 menu from June.

6. Personally, I prefer the direct flights 831/841. You will get to HK a lot faster with uninterrupted sleep or rest.
I've only actually flown the nonstops in J, either CX or CO. I did 889 in F earlier this year. I actually think 889 is much better for jetlag because you can get a lot of sleep on the overnight flight and then be ready to go for a full day upon arrival in HK. For some reason, when I take the nonstops, I can usually stay awake to a decent hour the evening upon arrival, but then I wake up at 3-4am without fail. I can't really give a great explanation, but that's my personal experience. 889 is also a more efficient use of time even though the flight is longer. You only miss one full day on the way out. The nonstops basically cause you to lose two full days, or at best a day and a half, given the timings.

The other benefit of 889 in F is that you get more time in F. I didn't want to get off the plane when we got to HKG! Another consideration is equipment, I love the nose of the 744, but I'm not sure if they're still using this on 888-9 or if they've switched over to the 77W.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
.....The other benefit of 889 in F is that you get more time in F. I didn't want to get off the plane when we got to HKG! Another consideration is equipment, I love the nose of the 744, but I'm not sure if they're still using this on 888-9 or if they've switched over to the 77W.
All CX JFK flights are operated by 77A (777-300ER) now.@:-)
Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I actually think 889 is much better for jetlag because you can get a lot of sleep on the overnight flight and then be ready to go for a full day upon arrival in HK.
Who wants to go for a meeting after a 20 hours flight The first thing I want to do after such a long flight is to get ot my hotel room and sleeeeeep.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:47 am

They served caviar when i flew yyz/hkg in early November.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: CX-D,AC-E, Yadda Yadda Yadda
They served it out of YVR on CX889 about 2 weeks ago
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
I have flown 883 five times this year. Had caviar on every flight. CCR not open until later in the day. BA Lounge F snacks minimal - a few sandwiches and chips. At 1300 they put some additional food out that is better.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
I have flown 883 five times this year. Had caviar on every flight. CCR not open until later in the day. BA Lounge F snacks minimal - a few sandwiches and chips. At 1300 they put some additional food out that is better.
You mean 831?
I thought the CCR is opened all day with the BA flights. It is just that they won't allow access to other F pax?

It seems only 888 and 889 YVR-JFK-YVR are the non caviar Balik Salmon flights in NA
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Yes, I meant 831. I usually arrive at 1100 on a flight from DCA. I will have to double check on the CCR.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomoreiphone
It seems only 888 and 889 YVR-JFK-YVR are the non caviar Balik Salmon flights in NA
They are also the only CX flights within North America.

How about I put it this way: CX only serves caviar in F on long-haul transoceanic flights. So, YVR-HKG - yes; JFK-YVR - no.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
How about I put it this way: CX only serves caviar in F on long-haul transoceanic flights.
I think "inter-continental" would be better, since there's no ocean between HKG and Europe.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LH/LX
Who wants to go for a meeting after a 20 hours flight The first thing I want to do after such a long flight is to get ot my hotel room and sleeeeeep.
Hear hear. Even worse the 20 hour journey is not a nonstop with an interruption taking place at an unearthly timing.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doozer
They served it out of YVR on CX889 about 2 weeks ago
They have served caviar on the YVR-HKG sector of 889 for many months now.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LH/LX
Normally, I agree. But after 20 hours in CX First Class, I'm bright as a daisy. The new F suites are awsome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.