Wiki Posts
Search

CX Arrivals Lounge at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt
CX Arrivals Lounge at LHR

What is the arrivals lounge situation at LHR. I'm debating taking CX or BA in J from HKG-LHR. I've read all the threads about the comparison in service onboard. I'm currently leaning towards CX, but just wanted to find out if there is an arrivals lounge and what amenities it offers as I have a 4 hour layover before I continue on to a BA flight.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

CX uses the AA arrivals lounge at LHR. Both airlines arrive in Terminal 3. It is a smaller facility than the BA Arrivals Lounge, but has adequate showers, breakfast, and one computer terminal. The BA Arrivals Lounge is quite large, with a more extensive breakfast, more computer terminals, and the possibility of getting a 15 minute massage.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
CX uses the AA arrivals lounge at LHR. Both airlines arrive in Terminal 3. It is a smaller facility than the BA Arrivals Lounge, but has adequate showers, breakfast, and one computer terminal. The BA Arrivals Lounge is quite large, with a more extensive breakfast, more computer terminals, and the possibility of getting a 15 minute massage.
Hi,

I think the BA HKG-LHR flight arrives in T1.
The T1 arrivals lounge is arrived at by taking the lift to departures , walking past T1 and it is at the end of the corridor.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I think the BA HKG-LHR flight arrives in T1.
The T1 arrivals lounge is arrived at by taking the lift to departures , walking past T1 and it is at the end of the corridor.

Regards

TBS
I see I worded my post poorly - not the first time for that! I was attempting to say that CX and AA arrive into the same terminal, thus the reason for CX using the AA Arrivals Lounge.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see I worded my post poorly - not the first time for that! I was attempting to say that CX and AA arrive into the same terminal, thus the reason for CX using the AA Arrivals Lounge.
Hi,

Ah!! I see ( on second reading ) what you were saying about AA/CX using T3.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:31 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Is your BA flight leaving from LHR? Why not just transfer straight to your departing terminal rather than going landside than back to airside? You can use the BA departure lounge at the appropraite terminal, it's everything a BA arrival lounge will have.

Nothing against CX, but with the luggage blackhole called LHR, I'll have slightly more faith with a BA-BA transfer than a CX-BA transfer.

The BA J seat is better for sleeping anyway.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leumas
Is your BA flight leaving from LHR? Why not just transfer straight to your departing terminal rather than going landside than back to airside? You can use the BA departure lounge at the appropraite terminal, it's everything a BA arrival lounge will have.

Nothing against CX, but with the luggage blackhole called LHR, I'll have slightly more faith with a BA-BA transfer than a CX-BA transfer.

The BA J seat is better for sleeping anyway.
Yes, my BA flight is leaving from LHR. I guess I could stay airside. I'm guessing, however, i can't get massages in the departure lounge, however. But, I can have a nice shower, which is what I really want anyways.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Animgif
I'm guessing, however, i can't get massages in the departure lounge, however.
On the contrary - there is at least as big a massage facility in Departures as in Arrivals.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
On the contrary - there is at least as big a massage facility in Departures as in Arrivals.
Well...then it seems the only decision is CX vs. BA on the HKG-LHR flight...is the better bed worth giving up a bit of service.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:08 pm
Suspended

If it's overnight and sleep is important then go with BA. Persoanlly I prefer the daytime flights to LHR and then I would take CX with full AVOD and CX service.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep
Hi,

The OP does not state where his BA connecting flight will go to from LHR. If it is within Europe then although he will get lounge access , he will not be able to get a Massage as the Spa tratements are for long haul pax only. ( ie F/Club World/BA Gold on a LH).

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 14, 2006, 2:54 am
Suspended

Ah. Good point. I'd forgotten that since I'm almost always on long-haul.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 6:44 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Actually the AA Arrivals lounge has exactly the same number of computer terminals as the BA lounge at T4 (I counted), and they are much faster. Also very few pax use the AA lounge, so typically there are more showers free. I find the shower to be of better quality (higher water pressure and no steaming up the mirrors) than the BA Arrivals lounge. The big advantage of the BA Arrivals lounge is their excellent cooked English breakfast (served until noon), which allows skipping the on-board breakfast in exchange for sleep (but BA makes such a ruckus in J that sleeping is impossible, and they start serving breakfast 2 hours before landing! so sleeping through breakfast only works if you are in F on BA; CX is much quieter by comparison). Plus the MB spa massage/facial is nice, but sometimes hard to get an appointment. Overall I think the AA Arrivals lounge is actually better than BA (rather interestingly AA has improved since the arrangement with CX started, wonder if this improvement was part of the contract, or they are just viewing the lounge as generating more revenue so willing to spend a bit more operating it).

Finally, for whatever reason CX has a much better on-time arrival record at LHR (the morning BA arrivals are often over an hour late). I disagree that there is any advantage in luggage handling at LHR when flying BA or a BA to BA connection. It is random (and I have a large enough sample size to be able to say that with some authority). BA is offering "buy J and fly F one way" on HKG-LHR, so BA doesn't think it can compete with CX except by doing free F upgrades for full J fares (I don't think CX offers this).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.