Community
Wiki Posts
Search

jfk-hkg 0 stop vs 1 stop

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
jfk-hkg 0 stop vs 1 stop

I'm debating which route to fly on in F as part of a RTW - can anyone offer advice as to which one has better service (ie 12 vs 8 seats - does it make a difference?) 747 v 340. Time is of no issue, i.e. don't mind the stop if I get more out of the experience.

Also is the non-stop more likely to have the new seats by aug?

I noticed A seats are non-existant on the non-stop if booked straight on CX but they are available via an AA codeshare.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Personally if time is no object then I would go for the one-stop. The F cabin on the 747 is much nicer than the A346 in my view (although the seat itself is the same), you get fed 3 times (well this being first you get fed whenever you want, but the default is 3 times). Otherwise everything is much the same.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chewy3
....I noticed A seats are non-existant on the non-stop if booked straight on CX but they are available via an AA codeshare.
Are you sure about that? I have never seem availability for 830/831 in A class, either on CX code or AA code. You could waitlist on CX code but not on AA code. The only time I was able to fly in A class was by waitlisting on CX code for weeks.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
It's almost a year away but here you go (I'm traveling with 3 friends so we have to book this early to get A seats on every flight):

AA(CX) 6091 0 JFK
08/13/07 03:45 PM HKG
08/14/07 08:05 PM 346
DB F6 A6 J7 D7 I7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 S7 Q7 N7 O7

OT - why are AA's codes always in buckets of 7 - kind of annoying
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...AA(CX) 6091 0 JFK
08/13/07 03:45 PM HKG
08/14/07 08:05 PM 346
DB F6 A6 J7 D7 I7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 S7 Q7 N7 O7 ...
Have you tried booking it? I found it hard to believe that CX would release 6 A seats for a codeshare. The 346 only has 8 F seats. I wonder if the availability is accurate. Of course, you have the advantage of being able to book almost one year in advance.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Haven't booked it yet since I haven't decided which flight to take and also waiting on ANC seasonal routes to open up for next summer. Will let you know though if it's for real in a few weeks. The 1 stop shows A7 on the codeshare and 4 on CX - kind of weird.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....The 1 stop shows 7 A seats on the code share and 4 on CX - kind of weird.
The airlines set the maximum number displayed on the GDS. They are usually set to 4, 7 or 9 depending on airlines and booking classes. Therefore, 4 means 4 or more, 7 means 7 or more, 9 means 9 or more.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
The airlines set the maximum number displayed on the GDS. They are usually set to 4, 7 or 9 depending on airlines and booking classes. Therefore, 4 means 4 or more, 7 means 7 or more, 9 means 9 or more.
Oh that makes sense - so cx limits their F cabin to 4 and J and Y to 9? What is the purpose of that?

I guess the real weird thing is there are 0A on the non-stop on CX and 6A on AA codeshare
Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:13 pm
Suspended

YVR is a gorgeous city if you and your friends want to stop for a day or two. Currently for the transit stop pax are limited to staying in the gate area and cannot go through the terminal or to the very nice CX lounge.

I do 2-3 RTWs a year and have given up trying to get a single A seat on the nonstop, however I agree that the F cabin in the 744 is nicer anyway. I flew the A346 HKG-LHR a couple months ago and it was fine but not as nice at the 744 in F.

August by the way is a great time to spend a couple days in YVR if that is of interest. Lots of good restaurants, outdoor cafes, nice scenary, etc.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
YVR is a gorgeous city if you and your friends want to stop for a day or two. Currently for the transit stop pax are limited to staying in the gate area and cannot go through the terminal or to the very nice CX lounge.

I do 2-3 RTWs a year and have given up trying to get a single A seat on the nonstop, however I agree that the F cabin in the 744 is nicer anyway. I flew the A346 HKG-LHR a couple months ago and it was fine but not as nice at the 744 in F.

August by the way is a great time to spend a couple days in YVR if that is of interest. Lots of good restaurants, outdoor cafes, nice scenary, etc.

I actually do have a 2 day stop in yvr - then I take advantage of the yvr-jfk cx flight and a few more segments and end up back at jfk to head to hkg.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 4:14 am

Programs: QF Gold TG Gold BA Silver SPG Plat IC Amb
A Class on the Non-Stop JFK-HKG is difficult but sometimes available see EF on 17 November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.