Wiki Posts
Search

Is there still a stop in Anchorage?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Is there still a stop in Anchorage?

I looked at the schedule and didn't see anything that indicated a stop, but maybe my FTers will know more. I'm looking at going heliskiing near ANC the 1st or 2nd week of April and wouldn't mind a few extra miles coming from DFW.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
If you are suggesting that you could get a CX flight either to or from ANC then you are out of luck - the stops at ANC (whenever they happen) are, and always have been, pure tech stops. You cannot join or leave the aircraft there.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:21 pm

Programs: ASMVPG,HHG,SPGG
And let me tell you, we are really bummed out about that,here in ANC.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by edbyu
I looked at the schedule and didn't see anything that indicated a stop, but maybe my FTers will know more. I'm looking at going heliskiing near ANC the 1st or 2nd week of April and wouldn't mind a few extra miles coming from DFW.
You could not buy a purely US domestic itin on CX. Its cabotage.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by akdude
And let me tell you, we are really bummed out about that,here in ANC.
But you get to see the CX cabin crew do layovers !
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:01 am

Never knew that.Have probably seen them in Costco and didn't recognize them.
Great info THANKS
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:23 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by akdude
Never knew that.Have probably seen them in Costco and didn't recognize them.
Great info THANKS
Isn't almost everything Costco stocks made in China? Why would someone from HKG be shopping at Costco when they can get it for half the Costco price? But I have seen CX crew (both pilots and FAs) in the Borders in ANC. They weren't readily identifiable (not in uniform and half were not chinese) but I happened to have a CX F tag on my shopping bag, so we somehow got to chatting in the cafe.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
Isn't almost everything Costco stocks made in China? Why would someone from HKG be shopping at Costco when they can get it for half the Costco price? But I have seen CX crew (both pilots and FAs) in the Borders in ANC. They weren't readily identifiable (not in uniform and half were not chinese) but I happened to have a CX F tag on my shopping bag, so we somehow got to chatting in the cafe.
Thats a good question,but I've seen many oriental crewmembers in uniform over the years.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:23 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Do pax flying HKG-YYZ-HKG with a stop in ANC, need the appropriate US visas and entry clearances as well?

Also does one disembark at ANC for futher immi/customs/security checks or is it a stay-on-aircraft while it is being refuelled?

And finally, is the stop at ANC a proper timetable-scheduled stop on every flight to/from YYZ, or is it dependant on loads/winds etc.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Do pax flying HKG-YYZ-HKG with a stop in ANC, need the appropriate US visas and entry clearances as well?

Also does one disembark at ANC for futher immi/customs/security checks or is it a stay-on-aircraft while it is being refuelled?

And finally, is the stop at ANC a proper timetable-scheduled stop on every flight to/from YYZ, or is it dependant on loads/winds etc.
HKG-YYZ-HKG is 100% stay-on-aircraft. The crews change during the stop, but other than the maintenance personnel, no one gets on or off in ANC. As a result, there is no need to have US visas (if applicable) or clear US customs.

The ANC stop is scheduled year-round for the route and in both directions. It's not a pleasant stop, but at least we in YYZ have CX service.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by CXYYZ
HKG-YYZ-HKG is 100% stay-on-aircraft. The crews change during the stop, but other than the maintenance personnel, no one gets on or off in ANC. As a result, there is no need to have US visas (if applicable) or clear US customs.

The ANC stop is scheduled year-round for the route and in both directions. It's not a pleasant stop, but at least we in YYZ have CX service.
Excellent! Thanks for the info, CXYYZ. ^

One further question: Does this route get F class year round or is it seasonal?
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:51 pm
Original Member

One further question: Does this route get F class year round or is it seasonal?
Never gets F (that was discontinued about 4 years ago, due to the low yield on YYZ-HKG), it is J/Y only. While there is no visa or inspection at ANC, I believe the compromise reached with CX is that all pax details are forwarded to US authorities and during the tech stop at ANC any undesirable pax can be detained. After 9/11 it was a full immigration inspection (including visa for US if necessary), and CX rerouted the flights to have the tech stop in YVR (which added a lot of distance!). After negotiation it was moved back to be via ANC, with the 'half inspection'. Obviously this doesn't affect anyone except those with outstanding arrest warrants in the US, or names that show up on the wrong list.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
Never gets F (that was discontinued about 4 years ago, due to the low yield on YYZ-HKG), it is J/Y only. While there is no visa or inspection at ANC, I believe the compromise reached with CX is that all pax details are forwarded to US authorities and during the tech stop at ANC any undesirable pax can be detained. After 9/11 it was a full immigration inspection (including visa for US if necessary), and CX rerouted the flights to have the tech stop in YVR (which added a lot of distance!). After negotiation it was moved back to be via ANC, with the 'half inspection'. Obviously this doesn't affect anyone except those with outstanding arrest warrants in the US, or names that show up on the wrong list.
That's quite interesting info! Thanks number_6. ^

I'm actually booking this transpac as part of a AONE tix. So I guess, I'll have to settle for the one HKG-YVR flight that does offer F!
Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:06 pm
Suspended

That's quite interesting info! Thanks number_6. ^

I'm actually booking this transpac as part of a AONE tix. So I guess, I'll have to settle for the one HKG-YVR flight that does offer F!
If your destination is YYZ, then I would advise you to take 830 to JFK then transit to YYZ.
However A Class is not easy to get on this flight. and if u don't mind overnighting in JFK or NYC then 888 is an excellent option as well (still my favourite flight to JFK)
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:13 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Dave Marsh
If your ...
AA also has a non-stop flight LAX-YYZ, so routing HKG-LAX-YYZ is a good option (and there is always A inventory available on one of the 3 daily HKG-LAX flights).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.