Wiki Posts
Search

reviews of the CX JFK-HKG nonstop

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2006, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
reviews of the CX JFK-HKG nonstop

My wife and I are flying DCA -MNL on CX via JFK and the nonstop to HKG.

I'd be curious what feedback anyone who's taken that flight can give us about what to expect. I know it's a marathon flight at over 16 hours. I'm just wondering if we'll be in any condition to continue onto MNL after such a long flight. We'll be in Y class.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 8:16 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Lots of other routes are 14 hours, so at 16 hours it is only 2 hours longer -- not bad at all in F. Thousands of pax are taking those 14+ hour flights each day, so it can't be so bad, they all survive and some even come back to fly again. CX is pretty good about providing lots of water and drinks, plus there are snacks even in Y as well as 2 meal services. The HKG TV channels can be quite entertaining, too, on the IFE. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Buying some flight socks before the trip might be a good idea, they really help with DVT and sitting for so long.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 8:45 pm

Programs: OW Em (AA EXP+5MM), AA CK, Delta Silver, UA 1K
Not sure about that - 16+ hours in Y sounds pretty tough to me. I am doing JFK-HKG this Wednesday in J...and I am wishing I were in F with truly lie flat seats. Definitely get the compression socks. My doctor says avoid salt two days prior. Definitely drink lots of water and get up periodically to stretch your legs.

Watch 3 movies, sleep eight hours, eat a couple of times....no matter how you do it, it is a long trip. But at least CX is as good as anyone out there!
Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:49 pm

16 hours nonstop is definitely bearable in Y - and argubally the most comfortable option. Taking in mind that you already have 3 conections, any more you make the journey exceptionally long and would involve even more time in a cramped seat.

As a FF on this route (though in J) I would recommend drinking lots and lots of water and walking around the cabin at periodic intervals. If you can fall asleep then great, it makes time go by faster. MNL is only 2 hrs away, so not a big deal at all. After all this traveling would could collapse at your hotel and wake up the next morning totally refreshed.

My only gripe with these flights is the timing which not very convenient for the business traveler at all especially if time at the office is important to you. I highly prefer overnight long hauls, and recently did some JFK flights on AF, an unlikely competitor.

The connections at CDG are timed perfectly, allowing me to leave HKG at midnight and arrive at 0830 in JFK. On the return, I leave JFK at around 2200 and arrive in HKG early morning +2. Surprisingly this itinerary is not as taxing on the body as you may believe, especially if you sleep through all the sectors.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B-HQC
The connections at CDG are timed perfectly, allowing me to leave HKG at midnight and arrive at 0830 in JFK. On the return, I leave JFK at around 2200 and arrive in HKG early morning +2. Surprisingly this itinerary is not as taxing on the body as you may believe, especially if you sleep through all the sectors.
Not to go too off-topic, but, first, what flight from CDG arrives at JFK at 8:30am? I think you mean dp CDG at 8:30 and then you arrive JFK about 10:30. But in any event, you can do HKG-LAX-JFK on about the same schedule -- CX 880 dp HKG 11:35p, ar LAX 9:50p / AA 30 dp LAX 11:45p, ar JFK 8am +1. I'm doing this soon. And in reverse, just take the 1-stop CX 889 via YVR -- departs 11pm, arrives early AM +2, in the summer. In winter it departs JFK about 9pm. And you don't even have to get off the plane in YVR.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 2:27 am

Yes you're right, the outbound arrives at 1015.

A few reasons why I take AF over the CX/AA one stop options

- Long haul product all the way, both ways
- (major reason) costs less than 30k HKD vs ~ 55k HKD for CX
- transit in the USA

Last edited by B-HQC; Sep 9, 2006 at 7:29 am
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
Thanks for the suggestions. Our biggest worry is not getting enough water, since we're not allowed to bring any onto the flight now.

Does CX offer an amenity kit for Y passengers?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:28 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Hainan Fortune Wings, Spirit Ultra Cheapskate
Originally Posted by jsnearline
Thanks for the suggestions. Our biggest worry is not getting enough water, since we're not allowed to bring any onto the flight now.

Does CX offer an amenity kit for Y passengers?
Don't worry, you will have plenty of water available. Snacks and drinks are self serve in the Y galleys - replenished often.

Amenity kit is a small chartreuse nylon bag which includes: 2 Smints, toothbrush and toothpaste, thin pair of socks, and a CX lanyard.

I never really needed the toothpaste before - but had to use it last flight. I'd trade a dozen lanyards for some chapstick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.