Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is CX ever going to increase service ex-SFO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I keep on wondering why CX is so skeptical in bringing a second SFO flight? As some has often mentioned, their third LAX flight (CX885) has been struggling with capacity ever since it was introduced last year. Why can't CX just pull out this unprofitable 3rd LAX flight and relegate the same aircraft to do a 2nd SFO flight instead? Having LAX and SFO at 2x daily each seems more economical IMO. It has been rather difficult to secure seats on the SFO flights these days and I just don't understand why CX would invest two 744s on low yielding flights where it can just be the opposite if they did it on the market 387 miles north.

I certainly don't buy the factor of SFO being a limited OW presence. I mean then why would BA send two 744's daily to SFO? If BA can be successful in sending two jumbo jets to SFO daily, I can't see why CX can't do the same.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
more cargo into LAX maybe?
Old Aug 26, 2006, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know how accurate the information is but according to this, a 2nd SFO daily flight is on the horizon. And if true we will be seeing a midnight departure HKG-SFO and an afternoon departure for SFO-HKG starting Feb.

The new schedules provided from the information:
CX870 HKG-SFO 2345/1940 Daily B744
CX871 SFO-HKG 1355/2040+1 Daily B744
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:54 pm

My question would be why don't they add a flight to ORD or DFW before they add another flight to SFO.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by millionmiler
My question would be why don't they add a flight to ORD or DFW before they add another flight to SFO.
hmm.. I would guess the 744's don't have the range to fly to DFW and no slots for ORD... but who knows...
Old Aug 26, 2006, 8:45 pm

If it is slots couldent they work it out with AA to mutual advantage??

Originally Posted by tfung
hmm.. I would guess the 744's don't have the range to fly to DFW and no slots for ORD... but who knows...
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:46 pm

The viability of DFW (along with range issues) is questionable, however regarding ORD I just cannot see why not. The UA nonstops does quite well on this route and many people actually choose to suffer on UA then to fly CX and then connect.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:25 pm

India

I believe CX has often said without receiving more slots and rights to fly to more Indian cities and/or increased frequencies to Delhi and Mumbai, it will not fly the second SFO nonstop. I believe SFO-HKG has UA and SQ running daily flights, so more pressure to reduce prices... and even J price is matched with SQ. But then now there is a SFO crew base, it only makes sense to have a new second daily SFO flight.

About LAX-HKG, I guess the cargo load makes the third daily flights somewhat more manageable even with lower passenger load. I also think premium traffic should be alright, and the 1pm departure from HKG allows more convenient connection for passengers heading to other US cities especially east coast and Midwest.

I definitely see potentials with ORD... but then ORD is slot controlled till 2008. I wonder how that will affect CX... but I am sure ORD will love to see the arrival of a world class airline at ORD.

Carfield
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carfield
But then now there is a SFO crew base, it only makes sense to have a new second daily SFO flight.
So maybe that was one of the reasons why they are forming an SFO based crew.

Anyways just gained more updated information from the same source, the new flights will continue to operate into next year's daylight savings schedule/period:

CX872 HKG-SFO 1620/1350 Daily B744
CX870 HKG-SFO 2335/2105 Daily B744 (New)

CX873 SFO-HKG 0120/0625+1 Daily B744
CX871 SFO-HKG 1520/2025+1 Daily B744 (New)

I am willing to bet that the majority who is terminating their travel in HKG would prefer the daytime CX871 departure ex-SFO as oppose to the nighttime CX873. The night time 8:25pm arrival into HKG is the ideal jet lag problem solution as after 14hrs of grinding out the flight, the fatigue body would want to crash into bed after arrival and of course better to crash into bed at night as oppose to morning if one wants to adjust to the local time. This flight would also be the perfect flight to experience all the delights CX F has to offer. One could stay awake comfortably, take a short nap and enjoy the two meals and snacks in between them.

I am also willing to bet that the loads of CX885 out of LAX will become even worse with the new SFO day departure because the overwhelming majority of those connecting from other continental U.S. regions would prefer to transit via SFO as oppose to the awful LAX TBIT to catch a daytime flight from the west coast.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The two year extension (until October, 2008) of the arrival restrictions at ORD exempt new international flights (by domestic or foreign carriers), so slot restrictions aren't an impediment to CX flying to ORD:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=21824
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Even though they have not been announced, it is great that there are at least signs that the increase might take place. I know I am perhaps getting myself ahead, but what would be the meal structure look like for the new CX871 & CX870 flights?
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I am willing to bet that the majority who is terminating their travel in HKG would prefer the daytime CX871 departure ex-SFO as oppose to the nighttime CX873. The night time 8:25pm arrival into HKG is the ideal jet lag problem solution as after 14hrs of grinding out the flight, the fatigue body would want to crash into bed after arrival and of course better to crash into bed at night as oppose to morning if one wants to adjust to the local time.
I also assume that the majority of business travellers would prefer a night arrival into HKG as oppose to a morning one.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I am also willing to bet that the loads of CX885 out of LAX will become even worse with the new SFO day departure because the overwhelming majority of those connecting from other continental U.S. regions would prefer to transit via SFO as oppose to the awful LAX TBIT to catch a daytime flight from the west coast.
Totally agree. A lot of people in SEA fly down to LAX or drive up to EWR to connect with CX. YVR is all right, but we would much rather transit through SFO to avoid TBIT. Only thing against SFO is wx delays (e.g., fog) which can hamper connections.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 5:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

CX872 HKG-SFO 1620/1350 Daily B744
CX870 HKG-SFO 2335/2105 Daily B744 (New)

CX873 SFO-HKG 0120/0625+1 Daily B744
CX871 SFO-HKG 1520/2025+1 Daily B744 (New)
90 minutes turnaround time between CX872 & CX871 at SFO enough time?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Looks like they will be... in a few years:

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...d_str=20060831

Cathay Pacific Airways (0293) plans to increase its New York and San Francisco services as rivals target long- haul routes for expansion. "We should add more flights to North America over the next few years in order to meet market demand," said chief executive Philip Chen Nan-lok, in Toulouse, France. The carrier has earned HK$1.67 billion in the first six months - level with a year ago.

But passenger yield - the amount of revenue per passenger per kilometer flown - slipped 3 percent to 45.8 HK cents during the first half, amid fierce competition in long-haul economy class. Demand for first-class and business- class seats, however, remained strong. Chen said there is enormous growth potential in long-haul routes.

The carrier will not rule out adding new destinations but it declined to disclose details. Low-cost carrier Oasis Hong Kong Airlines, the city's first budget, long- haul passenger carrier, said it has filed an application with the government to fly to six more destinations in addition to its debut route.
Oasis's maiden flight - non-stop services to London Gatwick Airport - is due for take off next month. The budget airline last month promised to offer HK$1,000 one-way ticket to London before taxes beginning in October.
Chen said Cathay has no room to cut ticket prices despite the fierce competition.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by BearX220
Totally agree. A lot of people in SEA fly down to LAX or drive up to EWR to connect with CX. ....

It's gonna be a looooong drive from SEA to EWR !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.