Search

CX Meals

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2004, 6:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold MPO
CX Meals

I just read Carfield TR from YYZ-HKG (Non-Stop) on AC. This route is similar to CX 831.

However the meals are a lot better (and more substantial) than CX

They do NOT serve Breakfast as the final meal.

Also they DONOT Pre-Plate the meals!! All A La Carte Style!!

I really think CX should get its act together in terms of catering.

The preplating is:

1) Cheap
2) Portion = for a 5 year-old
3) Bad Presetation.

Also sometimes CX do make you feel like a pig when you ask for seconds. But it seems from the TR that AC is completely different
Old Aug 12, 2004, 7:47 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
Poor Conduct

The ganging up personal insults to the OP in this thread are embarrassing for this board and in my opinion reprehensible conduct. This is the CX board, not DL or CO where people play these kind of games. If there are on point comments then lets discuss them.

I am also aware that I have deleted a couple that were on point, but I am traveling and only had a moment to act on this

B Watson
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Firstly I want to apologise for some misunderstandings.

I am not saying CX is BAD or anything like that. Is jsut that with the recent Catering changes, it has just dropped the standards a bit.

For the JFK-HKG flight, many members here complained about the Breakfast meal as the final meal before landing.

I think AC's arrangement is better (from Carfield's TR).

Also from Carfield's TR, he did specifically mentioned that the portion size and availability of food is not an issue on the AC flight. But from my experience it seems that CX do run out. I mean I do admit sometimes I am a big eater and @ certain times CX's catering portions are not that substantial. Therefore from reading the TR I felt that AC is a bit more generous.

That is All, I hope I didn't offened anyone.

Also as to the comments about my excessive posts, this is due to my planning of my DONE4 trip for the end of the year, hence I just want to get as much information as possible.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by B Watson
The ganging up personal insults to the OP in this thread are embarrassing for this board and in my opinion reprehensible conduct. This is the CX board, not DL or CO where people play these kind of games. If there are on point comments then lets discuss them.

I am also aware that I have deleted a couple that were on point, but I am traveling and only had a moment to act on this

B Watson
I am glad someone intervened, there are some people who just feel that they are always right and if you have a different opinion they just want to attack and eat you alive.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:20 pm

Well

I don't know that I can cause a major arguement...

Well after flying Air Canada's new nonstop flight from YYZ to HKG, I can't help to point out how CX continues to be really poor in the catering departments, especially on the long haul flights. If this flight is any indication, CX can afford to make a few enhancement on its meal services. AC is on the edge of fall apart, and yet it can come out with such great service, and I don't know why CX has any excuse.

However, I think AC still needs to work on a few aspects, such as the seats -- not quite flat if you ask me, and cabin service is still not as good as CX, but I can't help to see the F/As coming around more often to ask if passengers want any snack.

Carfield
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:27 pm

Doesn't AC do an ExecutiveFirst style product (ie a cross between F and J)?

I have no complaints regarding J catering on CX (I frankly couldn't care less about preplating or not as long as the food is hot and there is enough of it, which I think there is) and would much rather see them concentrate on changing the menu a bit more often. They have their outports on 3 month cycles which get awfully repetitive.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:08 am

a la carte style

Has anyone written CX about the a la carte style dining they used to offer in J and got any replies?

I made a comment more than a few times in onboard surveys and also told a few ISM that I would definitely like to see it back onbaord. One of the last ISM told me that it is hygienically incorrect and CX will never reinstate it.

I'll be taking a long haul in eight hours time. It looks like CX has already upgraded me to F, so I won't probably be having any complaints about food on this fight. ^
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I haven't written, but I do know that when I was at the Spring Moon launch event for the Peninsula inspired food Mr Kester Yim asked a group of 4 Diamond members what was the one improvement in service that they would most like to see. Without a moment's hesitation all 4 said "bring back the trolley service in J".

Obviously there are limits to how much CX listens to its most valuable customers.

The "it's not hygienic" line is just rubbish. The obvious response to that ISM would have been: "so why do you serve the salmon and caviar in exactly that way in First"?
Old Aug 14, 2004, 5:17 am

Thanks, christep. Too bad CX is not willing to listen. SQ preplated meals on my four HKG-SIN flights so far this year and they are a lot better than CX. Given CX's bad seats, I really don't see any reason to pick CX on this route.

I know it was rubbish... She just didn't seem to have an ear to listen. A terrible ISM and she was Japanese....I really don't want to see her on my future flights.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I have a few friends in HK who are CX ISM's and Senior Pursers. One of their major complaints about the trolley service is that people tend to want a little-of-everything, and there simply isn't enough to go around. First, CX, being an asian carrier would like to please everyone and would do just that.. without saying no, you can't have this or that. At least that's what my friends say... but they have other words to say when they go behind the curtain in the galley..... That's the main reason, they say, is that they always run out.

Cabin crew are the ones most fervently opposed to the trolley service coming back. I know I have written in almost every time I fly long haul J. The letters I get in return are almost identical.. in that.. "Your comments are well appreciated and we will forward your letter to the relevant catering department for review... " etc etc. I have yet to hear back from the catering department.

So we shall see...
Old Aug 14, 2004, 9:48 pm

Solution

I guess the problem is that CX still refuses to really "enhance" the quantity of entrees for J class. It can load a few more main course dishes and then it will be fine. If the trolley service is causing so much problems, how about doing the Air Canada way? Instead of just serving the casserole dishes, how about plating the main course onto a real dish... like Air Canada or the new Club ANA style or China Airlines or Lauda Air? That will be nice... even if it wants to remain the casserole way, how about using a bigger casserole dish? CX J has one of the smallest casserole dishes among other Asian airlines -- SQ, AY, LH, BR... they all have pretty big casserole dishes... and I like dim sum -- but CX morning dim sum casserole dishes are simply too small... it needs to have more substances.

I hope CX will come up with some resolutions soon... Its long haul J catering is rather average (a bit below) when it comes to business class catering these days.

Carfield
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

"that people tend to want a little-of-everything, and there simply isn't enough to go around. "

I agree with Carfield,

The main problem is the Portion Size on CX.

Just load a few more main dishes on board then all problems will be solved!
Old Aug 16, 2004, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
CX, being an asian carrier would like to please everyone and would do just that....
as opposed to EU/US carriers, who want to please noone?
Old Aug 16, 2004, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Chiangi, I think I am aware who this Japanese ISM is. Her name is Mukako and she is a real pain in the a**.

We should write to CX and get rid of her. I've also had negative experiences with this particular ISM in the past.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like Chiangi, I see SQ creeping ahead of CX. Even the ''camouflage' seats on SQ's 777-200 beat NRBC and the catering is generally several notches ahead, depending on the station.

My last CX J class long haul was HKG - YYZ and the food was very average. Not much better than BA, and I am very critical of their NCW food.

On a postive note, the crews are still great, the ground handling good (at least where it is handled by CX ) and they still love me even though I am only BA gold!

Last edited by Swanhunter; Aug 16, 2004 at 5:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.