Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Which Passport on booking - Mainland China to UK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2024, 1:34 am
Original Poster

I have a flight booking from Shanghai via HK to London coming up soon (booked on BA, but first leg on CX). If I have both British and HK passport (and also the "home return permit"), then:

1. Which one should I use when checking-in online?
2. When going through immigration at the airport?

My initial thought was to use the British passport details when checking-in as the flight is to the UK, then use my "home return permit" when going through immigration at Shanghai?
Would this be ok given the different identify document used between the two?
Old May 3, 2024, 3:14 am

At check-in either the HK or BN(O) passports are fine to show that you don't need a visa for the UK; to get through a security check you need to show either a HRP or a non-BN(O) passport - it doesn't matter which one. You use your HKID to exit HK immigration.

My understanding is that if Cathay can through check your bags (I think they will) and issue a physical boarding pass for the BA flight (should be able to) then you can do an airside transit at PVG. If not, then yes HRP is probably easiest.

There's no problem mixing the documents - the only thing you need to be careful of is that for countries with outbound immigration you use the same document to exit as to enter.
Old May 3, 2024, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulC852
then you can do an airside transit at PVG. If not, then yes HRP is probably easiest.
I''m travelling PVG --> HKG --> LHR rather than HKG --> PVG --> LHR. But yea I guess your point still applies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.