Wiki Posts
Search

CX lounge access the night before

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
CX lounge access the night before

HI I wanted to double check I can access the Pier F & Wing F arriving at 3pm from Doha on QR in F but then not continuing onward until 8am on CX for a short haul flight.

I have no bags to check if that matters. Will I be able to get my CX BP online and then just go through transit? Or do I have to go landside and get my CX BP for the next morning.

In any event one way or the other I can go to the PIer/Wing F if I want to the evening before with out issue? Is the rule technically 24 hours before your flight as far as getting airside/using a lounge?

Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
According to OW rules, the connection has to be on the same day, or before 6am on the next day to qualify for F lounge access.

In any case, here is a thread about being stuck airside after doing what you are contemplating. Going through transit to airside and then exiting is anti-pattern in HKG and the general recommendation is to avoid it if possible.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:06 pm

The answer is NO, NO and NO. Plus the Wing/Pier lounge will close after the last flights left. Their hours are 5:30am to last departure of the day!
Your best option is to exit immigration and custom after arrival, and spent a night at an airport hotel or a city hotel.

Carfield
JordanWalker and djsflynn like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:06 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I have a mate who is absolutely convinced a HKG lounge for CX pax is open overnight.

He's so convinced I've given up asking him to stay in Regal even for $990/night.

He'll arrive from JP the day before and I will depart with him the following day. I'll report back.
chater, Freddorick and DiamondMile like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:37 am

percysmith, Maybe he is thinking of the Plaza Premium lounge? It's not a CX lounge but is "a lounge for CX pax" (and others) that is indeed open 24 hours?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
HI I wanted to double check I can access the Pier F & Wing F arriving at 3pm from Doha on QR in F but then not continuing onward until 8am on CX for a short haul flight.

I have no bags to check if that matters. Will I be able to get my CX BP online and then just go through transit? Or do I have to go landside and get my CX BP for the next morning.

In any event one way or the other I can go to the PIer/Wing F if I want to the evening before with out issue? Is the rule technically 24 hours before your flight as far as getting airside/using a lounge?

Thanks
Originally Posted by shd9
According to OW rules, the connection has to be on the same day, or before 6am on the next day to qualify for F lounge access.

In any case, here is a thread about being stuck airside after doing what you are contemplating. Going through transit to airside and then exiting is anti-pattern in HKG and the general recommendation is to avoid it if possible.
Originally Posted by Carfield
The answer is NO, NO and NO. Plus the Wing/Pier lounge will close after the last flights left. Their hours are 5:30am to last departure of the day!
Your best option is to exit immigration and custom after arrival, and spent a night at an airport hotel or a city hotel.

Carfield
Originally Posted by percysmith
I have a mate who is absolutely convinced a HKG lounge for CX pax is open overnight.

He's so convinced I've given up asking him to stay in Regal even for $990/night.

He'll arrive from JP the day before and I will depart with him the following day. I'll report back.
I know going airside through transit then leaving then coming back to airside the next morning is not advised at HKG but what if I stay airside? I know the lounge will close with the last CX flight but HKG is open all night, I see people in that lower level cafeteria or sleeping in chairs.

My questions are really just will I be able to get airside at 3pm with a BP for 8am? If yes will Pier/Wing F let me in to the lounge?

Also, my qualifying flight for the F access is the inbound on QR in F so doesnt that make the 6am rule thing null & void? The 8am flight the next day is just a short haul with no F.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
percysmith, Maybe he is thinking of the Plaza Premium lounge? It's not a CX lounge but is "a lounge for CX pax" (and others) that is indeed open 24 hours?
No, we've talked about Plaza Premium Lounge as an option (both Gate 1 sitting lounge and the Gate 35 private resting area). He doesn't have Priority Pass, and is determined not to pay anything.

In fact, his message from last Friday (this is for a trip in May) indicates he's still convinced he's allowed to sleep over in the "biz class lounge". We shall see.
HarbourGent likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 26, 2024 at 1:07 am
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:03 am

I know going airside through transit then leaving then coming back to airside the next morning is not advised at HKG but what if I stay airside? I know the lounge will close with the last CX flight but HKG is open all night, I see people in that lower level cafeteria or sleeping in chairs.

My questions are really just will I be able to get airside at 3pm with a BP for 8am? If yes will Pier/Wing F let me in to the lounge?

Also, my qualifying flight for the F access is the inbound on QR in F so doesnt that make the 6am rule thing null & void? The 8am flight the next day is just a short haul with no F.
You will be let through to the departure area through transit gate. Anything the check in airline will allow as a connection (e.g. up to and including 24 hours), Avseco will also allow.

However I don't see what relevance QR F BP from previous day will matter for your departure date if departure flight >= 06:00. You will get lounge access on the strength of your next BP.

P.S. What lower level cafeteria are you talking about? CX surrendered the lower level of the Wing lease back to AAHK, save the J entrance/staircase, so there is no more lower level sitting area.
DiamondMile likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 26, 2024 at 1:16 am
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:07 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
It amaze me all the time how people can 'pay' (yes even if redeeming) for F flights but too cheap to pay $20 for food or $100 for a proper night of sleep in a hotel.

You might as well endure the flight in economy if you're not going to arrive refreshed from your J/F flight.

Oh wait...but then you can't IG or blog about your amazingggg journey!
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
You will be let through to the departure area through transit gate. Anything the check in airline will allow as a connection (e.g. up to and including 24 hours), Avseco will also allow.

However I don't see what relevance QR F BP from previous day will matter for your departure date if departure flight >= 06:00. You will get lounge access on the strength of your next BP.

P.S. What lower level cafeteria are you talking about? CX surrendered the lower level of the Wing lease back to AAHK, save the J entrance/staircase, so there is no more lower level sitting area.
Lower level cafeteria like nothing to do with the Wing but when I was there in November I remember a food court with a McDonalds. It was down an elevator and maybe near gate 20 ish..

Btw, I dont get why you are saying the onward BP is all that is relevent. If one flies SYD-LAX on QF J and then onward to Vegas their lounge access at LAX, assuming no status, is solely based on the long haul J flight, the arriving BP.

So in my case QR F on the long haul (greater than 5 hours as defined by OW) gets me into the F lounges at HKG. My only real concern was will the lounge agents say something since I am there the day before, but its under 24 hours and I will have a BP.

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
It amaze me all the time how people can 'pay' (yes even if redeeming) for F flights but too cheap to pay $20 for food or $100 for a proper night of sleep in a hotel.

You might as well endure the flight in economy if you're not going to arrive refreshed from your J/F flight.

I dont have an IG or a blog. I've commented to similiar queries like this before and I really think a huge component of it is how often one gets to fly and fly in the premium cabin. I feel like the average person on FT is flying 15 trips a year likely all or most in J/F. I am doing 3 international trips a year at most and US lounges blow so basicallly ya I get excited to see Pier/Wing or Al Safwa. So for me its worth crazy long layovers at Doha or an overnight at HKG.

That said I actually would like to fly my onward to Saigon sooner but somehow CX has no evening flights to Saigon? Even taking one to Hanoi is at the latest only 90 min after QR arrives so I didnt want to have a misconnect situation.

I was in HK recently and really was trying to keep this trip to Vietnam and ideally would like to get there that same night. I was looking at maybe a Viet Jet flight once I arrive in HKG so I can get to SGN quicker.

And I am not sure what the being cheap to buy food comment has to do with anything. Loving some a la carte lounge food at an F lounge doesnt mean not dropping money on food at restaurants. I think 80% of what I spend money on is food, its a bad hobby
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by JordanWalker

I'm less anti-lounge overnighters than people who try to use the lounge and then enter HK.

I've also done overnight connections and do appreciate the other point of view - if I have an overnight connection with a crack-of-dawn departure the next day, I want to stay somewhere at or near the airport, minimise my risk of missing the flight and not have to hassle walking long distances/finding shuttle buses timetables (some chain hotels are awful publishing shuttle bus timetables)/workaround when those damned shuttle bus timetables don't work.

I've done one sleepover at Changi after SIN DO SIN DO 2023: 13 - 15 January 2023: USA Martin Luther King Jr Day Weekend ; but I did want to visit the QR Premium lounge the night before, the cost was I really have few alternatives but to sleep for a few hours in SATS lounge after that.

And I've done a fair few overnight connections in the last year on RTWs:
- HND, KIX: First Cabin. No brainer. These things are built for overnight connections - if you don't use them then you're a certified miser.
- NRT: 9 hours capsule. Not as enjoyable
- LAX, ORD: standard airport hotels. I walked to the Courtyard LAX from the terminal, couldn't figure out the shuttle. I figured out the shuttle for the Hilton Rosemont.
- SYD (I wanted to be back in SYD for QF Flounge, my brother's on the other side of town): I took up Noel Philip's suggestion of staying in the Mantra. Quite long walks.

(Other than the Japan examples) These do take more effort to plan, monetary outlay, working out bus timetable and/or long walks to/from the property. I do see the attraction of some people who say f___it I will just sleep in the lounge/in a chair/on the floor.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 26, 2024 at 3:19 am
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:13 am

Btw, I dont get why you are saying the onward BP is all that is relevent. If one flies SYD-LAX on QF J and then onward to Vegas their lounge access at LAX, assuming no status, is solely based on the long haul J flight, the arriving BP.
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=LAX "Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights: First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 06:00am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa)."

So in my case QR F on the long haul (greater than 5 hours as defined by OW) gets me into the F lounges at HKG. My only real concern was will the lounge agents say something since I am there the day before, but its under 24 hours and I will have a BP.
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=HKG "Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights: First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 06:00am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa)."

(I'm being repetitive on purpose, it's the same oneworld rule being observed by both QF LAX and CX HKG. I know the 06:00 rule is enforced in HKG.

That said I actually would like to fly my onward to Saigon sooner but somehow CX has no evening flights to Saigon? Even taking one to Hanoi is at the latest only 90 min after QR arrives so I didnt want to have a misconnect situation.
My friend from JP is going to travel to SGN with me. I am not aware of an exception to the 06:00 rule just because there is no night connection (or there may be one post-pandemic).

My friend is on J both legs though so he can enter lounge on arrival from JP based on the second leg BP, but I currently expect he will be kicked out on last departure (currently CX844 HKG-JFK 02:20)
Carfield and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 26, 2024 at 3:19 am
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:20 am

There is a new 24 hours food court near Gate 11 now in the air-side/secure area at Terminal one!
It basically has a 24 hours McDonald/McCafe, along with a Hong Kong style cafe/diner "Men Wah Bing Teng" in the lower level (Level 6). There is a pop up coffee shop but that is only opened between 6am and 11pm.

The Food court next to the immigration will also remain open - Putien (a Chinese food fast food joint) and Gordon Ramsay are the only two eateries that open 24 hours.

There is a Plaza Premium Lounge that is opened overnight near the end of the concourse at Terminal One. I believe some airlines like Thai Airways will host their crews there during the short turnaround between the late night arrivals and morning departures. It is a paid lounge though.

The last CX flight of the day is CX 844 that departs at 2am local (plus and minus depends on the season but around 2am), and the only CX lounge that will remain open after midnight is the Wing First/Business Class. The Pier First/Business and the Deck will close at 12:30am. All lounges once again reopen at 5:30am.

Once again your connection flight was for the next day and there is just no way that Cathay Pacific lounges will let you in. Unfortunately, Hong Kong Airport has no transit hotel airside (like Changi or Incheon airport). You will just have to walk around a quiet airport for the night. The CX lounge will reopen at 5:30am and you will be welcome to use it then.

I am also curious on your friend's experience.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:28 am

Once again your connection flight was for the next day and there is just no way that Cathay Pacific lounges will let you in. You will just have to walk around a quiet airport for the night.
I think this applies more to happiest_at_40000 (no J onward BP, and I presume no applicable status).

The CX lounge will reopen at 5:30am and you will be welcome to use it then.

I am also curious on your friend's experience.
This one should be my friend (has onward J BP).

Unfortunately, Hong Kong Airport has no transit hotel airside (like Changi or Incheon airport).
There is, of sorts https://www.plazapremiumlounge.com/e...te-thirty-five . I've priced it - for my friend's connection night, it's HK$1,430.

Regal (landside, but connected by walkbridge) is HK$990 that night. More reasonable. But my friend is determined to be a certified miser and I want the data point.
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.