Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Confirming flights after a schedule change and overbooking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, ALL Gold

CX have changed our flights due a flight cancellation and as a result it now looks like there is an overbooking somewhere on our itinerary. I figured it might be overbooked somewhere on the itinerary as I tried to do a booking search to see what the price was bought today, and the CX website said that they had no tickets left.
Spoiler

They have rebooked us on a different flight but asked us to confirm it online.

I haven't 'accepted' it online to basically give us flexibility in case we want to change something without penalty, however if it comes to it would CX boot you off an overbooked flight on the basis that you didn't accept the changes online?

I will probably accept it closer to the time but figured that I was looking at a silver lining (flexibility as a result of equipment swap from A350 to 777, arrive 6hrs later than originally planned, on return connection in HKG is cut from 3h to 1h 10m).

Thanks in advance to any insights.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:54 pm

Airlines will usually zero out other flights when they do cancellations/rebooking so that they can allocate seats on the new flights.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
When is your flight? Would you mind sharing the new flight number so that we can assist you?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:33 am

If a flight is zeroed out, it is possibly cancelled.
Some of my London flights in April and May are changed and when I look for alternative at expertflyer, I notice that some flights are still listed but zeroed out.
When I asked a reservation agent at the Pier about it, s/he told me that the flight was cancelled and that's why they were zeroed out. S/he even called reservation desk for me to double check, so if CX is not selling any ticket on a flight, the flight is most likely cancelled. Just look for another flight and call CX with your proposed solution.

Carfield
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
I've booked myself on a short HKG-PVG roundtrip for this coming week and the flight from PVG back to HKG is zeroed out, does it mean most likely they have cancelled the flight?

on expertflyer, it shows:
J0 C0 D0 P0 I0 W0 R0 E0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

but the inbound flight from HKG is still selling seats, so I'm a bit confused
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,

Sorry, perhaps I phrased the question incorrectly. We have been given alternative flights and they are okay (the major change is that on the 12/Apr CX771 was cancelled and we were rebooked onto CX773).

However, I haven't formally accepted the changes online as I want to retain the flexibility for the time being.

My Q is that is CX likely (in the event of overbooking) to eject you from your seat/give your seat to someone else as a result of not confirming/agreeing the changes online?

Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oscarwong20
I've booked myself on a short HKG-PVG roundtrip for this coming week and the flight from PVG back to HKG is zeroed out, does it mean most likely they have cancelled the flight?

on expertflyer, it shows:
J0 C0 D0 P0 I0 W0 R0 E0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

but the inbound flight from HKG is still selling seats, so I'm a bit confused
I'd get in touch with CX as it's not far away.

My CX771 flight was zero'ed out for a while before they formally cancelled it and booked me on a different flight.

Check out the CX timetable - https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...timetable.html - they list all running flights here. Mine was not on that list when I checked last time.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:32 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by dreamingbeyond
Hey guys,

Sorry, perhaps I phrased the question incorrectly. We have been given alternative flights and they are okay (the major change is that on the 12/Apr CX771 was cancelled and we were rebooked onto CX773).

However, I haven't formally accepted the changes online as I want to retain the flexibility for the time being.

My Q is that is CX likely (in the event of overbooking) to eject you from your seat/give your seat to someone else as a result of not confirming/agreeing the changes online?

Thanks.
If your flight is cancelled, you're often 'reprotected' on another flight. Each flight you have on your booking has a status code; normally that is 'HK' (holding confirmed) but in this case yours is 'TK' meaning confirmed but passenger needs to be advised of new flight time. Either way, you're confirmed *and* ticketed on that new flight. Yes, you still have flexibility to make changes.

No, CX will not eject you in the event of overbooking. In the cases where there is serious overbooking, perhaps the airline will handle it on a case by case scenario but this does not suggest that just because you haven't 'confirmed the changes' that you are any less important than someone who has. In those cases, DM/GO/SL + OW members will be looked after first like in any situation
dreamingbeyond likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.