Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Qantas partner Award on premium ever opens ob LAX-MEL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum

Need to fly one way LAX-MEL (Melbourne) in October 2024 (one way). Tried since last October to book a business or First award ticket on the single Qantas daily non stop using Asia Miles, Tried several dates. Never available. I did secured LAX-HKG-MEL award - First LAX-HKG and Biz HKG-MEL. Good value at 140K Asia Miles, but adds 9 hours flying time plus 4.5 connection time.

Anyone experienced if space on the non stop Qantas ever opens up to asia miles? Would gladly pay the fee to recover the miles and switch...
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tried LAX-BNE and/or LAX-SYD with a separate paid flight to MEL?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Tried LAX-BNE and/or LAX-SYD with a separate paid flight to MEL?
Yes - it is something I am looking into.... Will AA check luggage through? Flights available for redemption on AA but not with Asia Miles....
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by traveler18
Yes - it is something I am looking into.... Will AA check luggage through? Flights available for redemption on AA but not with Asia Miles....
QF through checks QF-QF/EK on separate PNRs, but AA cannot do even AA-AA
Old Mar 11, 2024, 12:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by traveler18
Need to fly one way LAX-MEL (Melbourne) in October 2024 (one way). Tried since last October to book a business or First award ticket on the single Qantas daily non stop using Asia Miles, Tried several dates. Never available. I did secured LAX-HKG-MEL award - First LAX-HKG and Biz HKG-MEL. Good value at 140K Asia Miles, but adds 9 hours flying time plus 4.5 connection time.

Anyone experienced if space on the non stop Qantas ever opens up to asia miles? Would gladly pay the fee to recover the miles and switch...

that is about one of the rarest award flights you can ever find. Pre-covid finding Qantas J was difficult. Post-covid? Not a chance. Outside of Australia's reopening and Qantas did that major release on a lot of flights, I also haven't seen any Qantas J release flights at all on partner airlines

I did stumble on the Qantas website and I did see a few saver level availabilities on Qantas (not available via partners) but it was still very far and few, and it was not on LAX-SYD/MEL. It was HKG-SYD and YVR-SYD
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:08 pm

It is one of the great tragedies of life that there is never an award if you need it.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:11 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
QF J or F LAX-MEL on AM: none for the whole redemption window

QF J LAX-MEL on QF Frequent Flyer:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.