Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Reservation holding for CX DM members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2024, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

I am always wondering about this. As a CX DM, I often ask CX reservations to help me create and hold a reservation until departure so that I can call in later to ticket it. When I do this, I am always told that the price is not guaranteed, although the specific fare class can be guaranteed. I wonder how much price change can be once a specific fare class is locked in. I understand that if I hold an Economy Class ticket in Fare Class L, I will always be ticketing in Fare Class L in the future. It is just that the specific fare basis can change. Will this still leave room for a huge change in the price?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:19 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
In general, the prices don't change much. There can be entire batch re-work of fares sometimes; recently a fare increased double in the same fare class so it is possible. Generally and most often speaking, the changes will be because of things like taxes and the fuel surcharge.

A less dramatic example is the recent New Years sale where there were £200 base fares from LHR-HKG in Q class, but now they're £270-ish.

They can hold the L seat but not the L fare.
oldchinahand likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
In general, the prices don't change much. There can be entire batch re-work of fares sometimes; recently a fare increased double in the same fare class so it is possible. Generally and most often speaking, the changes will be because of things like taxes and the fuel surcharge.

A less dramatic example is the recent New Years sale where there were £200 base fares from LHR-HKG in Q class, but now they're £270-ish.

They can hold the L seat but not the L fare.
Thanks for your reply! To further clarify, I pull up all the One-Way fares currently published by CX for the HKG-LHR flight. For the "L" fare class, I find the following fare basis:
  • LR21WEAO (Economy Light): USD 449;
  • LR31WEAO (Economy Standard): USD 574;
  • LR41WEAO (Economy Flex): USD 715.
Therefore, if I lock in an "L" seat with a One-Way Economy Flex HKG-LHR reservation, I will always be charged the USD 715, unless CX publishes a new type of L fare?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:03 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Thanks for your reply! To further clarify, I pull up all the One-Way fares currently published by CX for the HKG-LHR flight. For the "L" fare class, I find the following fare basis:
  • LR21WEAO (Economy Light): USD 449;
  • LR31WEAO (Economy Standard): USD 574;
  • LR41WEAO (Economy Flex): USD 715.
Therefore, if I lock in an "L" seat with a One-Way Economy Flex HKG-LHR reservation, I will always be charged the USD 715, unless CX publishes a new type of L fare?
Yes, but I'm going to be extremely pedantic with correcting your wording in your response for absolute correctness:

You're only locking in an L seat for HKG-LHR. Nothing else. You can add a flight on to make it a round trip/open jaw. The flex/standard/light product you choose is at the time of ticketing as that comes with the ticket you buy and not the seat that you hold.
PaulC852, dmatthew and jagmeets like this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

A follow-up question: as a Diamond member, can I call in to hold a ticket for another person (not traveling with me)? Or, can I only hold a ticket on which I am a passenger?
Old Mar 10, 2024, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
A follow-up question: as a Diamond member, can I call in to hold a ticket for another person (not traveling with me)? Or, can I only hold a ticket on which I am a passenger?
Only for you and your party.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RA-wannabe
Only for you and your party.
Oh, I see. Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:41 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
For the fare question, another point to keep in mind is the 'advanced purchase requirement'. CX doesn't really use it that often. but there are fares, especially PEY ones, that require 7/14/30/50 days of AP. If your ticketing date falls within those cutoffs, it has to be changed to a higher fare with a less stringent AP requirement. Taxes and YQ/YR could also change between booking and ticketing.

CX has a 'hold your fare' function that used to be free for CX elites. For that function, the fare quote is saved as well as the the booking class is confirmed. For these bookings, there would be no subsequent change in fares at purchase
CarefreeBA likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shd9
For the fare question, another point to keep in mind is the 'advanced purchase requirement'. CX doesn't really use it that often. but there are fares, especially PEY ones, that require 7/14/30/50 days of AP. If your ticketing date falls within those cutoffs, it has to be changed to a higher fare with a less stringent AP requirement. Taxes and YQ/YR could also change between booking and ticketing.

CX has a 'hold your fare' function that used to be free for CX elites. For that function, the fare quote is saved as well as the the booking class is confirmed. For these bookings, there would be no subsequent change in fares at purchase
Thanks for the detailed explanation! The reminder of the advanced purchase limit is well appreciated.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:03 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Can HK travel agents still hold CX reservations for long periods before ticketing?

Before the pandemic, Hong Kong travel agents routinely used to be able to hold CX reservations for long periods before ticketing (no CX status required). Indeed I used various different travel agencies to make reservations up to a year in advance, and was given a ticketing deadline only 1-2 months before departure. Does anyone know whether Hong Kong travel agents can still do this? (I haven't had any need to try since the pandemic)
fairhsa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.