Wiki Posts
Search

CX Allergen Menu?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2023 | 10:28 am
Original Poster

CX Allergen Menu?

Hi All,

I'm a regular flyer with BA, QR, but doing my first LHR > HKG (1-way) hop with CX in January. I was wondering if folks have experience on this flight with allergen menus? Do they crew carry a load sheet, iPad? Example of what I'm interested in below from QR recently out of DOH.

Allergen menu aboard a QR flight (DOH > EDI)
Old Nov 30, 2023 | 11:00 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Cathay offer a large range of 'special' meals that can be preordered. The below Cathay website has a lot of detail re this

https://flights.cathaypacific.com/en...allergies.html
Old Dec 5, 2023 | 3:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Id reviewed this; my experience has always been very different from what airlines say online - eg Qatar customer service tell me they dont carry allergen menus, they always do.

I'm looking for some specific experience if anyone has it of these types of load sheets Ive shown above, specifically on the LHR > HKG route if possible!

best info I can find (albeit 4 years out of date) is Do&Co catering out of LHR which Id imagine will provide the same allergen information they give to BA, but looking for specific experience
Old Dec 5, 2023 | 3:38 pm
Suspended

I suggest two options.

1 pack a sandwich or two
2 Stay at home
Old Dec 6, 2023 | 7:52 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K
Originally Posted by leosantos
I suggest two options.

1 pack a sandwich or two
2 Stay at home
That's a stupid comment. If I'm paying at a restaurant to eat, I expect them to accommodate my dietary restriction - why would that expectation be different with flying? The meal is a compulsory part of the flight and the ticket cost. Why am I paying to fly (especially in a premium cabin) and having to bring my own food? That's ridiculous.
Old Dec 6, 2023 | 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by wrldtrav2013
That's a stupid comment. If I'm paying at a restaurant to eat, I expect them to accommodate my dietary restriction - why would that expectation be different with flying? The meal is a compulsory part of the flight and the ticket cost. Why am I paying to fly (especially in a premium cabin) and having to bring my own food? That's ridiculous.
If the food on offer doesn't suit your needs, $15 should be sufficient to address the issue. CX is not a restaurant!
Old Dec 6, 2023 | 11:46 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: Executive Club
Unfortunately no CX don't carry such a thing (typical of Asia, very hard to get by with certain food allergies). CX do special meals however, but as an earlier poster suggested you might seriously consider bringing your own food.

Had a work colleague recently almost offloaded form a long haul flight because he had a peanut allergy and brought it up at checkin, he was only able to get on the flight after saying he wouldn't consume any food for the duration of the trip.

i quote Cx guidance below on dietary restrictions:

"If you have severe food allergies, consider taking the following precautions:
  • Bringing your own food items
  • Wearing a medical alert bracelet
  • Carry a labelled and prescribed anaphylaxis treatment, such as an EpiPen, and ensure it is ready for administration by you or your companion
If you have severe allergies, we recommend consulting your doctor to confirm whether you are fit to fly. For any special acommodations, contact Customer Care at least 72 hours before departure."

Last edited by drivingflyingwalking; Dec 6, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Old Dec 6, 2023 | 7:48 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by red1339
Thanks, I’d reviewed this; my experience has always been very different from what airlines say online - eg Qatar customer service tell me they don’t carry allergen menus, they always do.

I'm looking for some specific experience if anyone has it of these types of load sheets I’ve shown above, specifically on the LHR > HKG route if possible!

best info I can find (albeit 4 years out of date) is Do&Co catering out of LHR which I’d imagine will provide the same allergen information they give to BA, but looking for specific experience
They don't care much about this.
I have got served cheese & ham plus garlic bread on VOML diet.

If this is a serious allergy issue, skip the CX provided meal and bring your own food on board.
Old Dec 8, 2023 | 5:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wrldtrav2013
So if you want an extensive menu to cater for your eating needs you would be best suited to start your own allergen airline, free from dust, peanuts and anyting else that makes you ill. Frankly people who travel that can die from being within 10 metres of a peanut are selfish when they expect everyone else to suffer for them.
PaulC852 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023 | 5:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AmD950
They don't care much about this.
I have got served cheese & ham plus garlic bread on VOML diet.

If this is a serious allergy issue, skip the CX provided meal and bring your own food on board.
Exactly what I suggested but no !!! the OP wants an airline to provide a extensive menu to cater for him. As he quoted this is a stupid answer apparently.
Old Dec 12, 2023 | 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by leosantos
Exactly what I suggested but no !!! the OP wants an airline to provide a extensive menu to cater for him. As he quoted this is a stupid answer apparently.
Something appears to have got lost here; I'm not demanding that an airline does this, I'm asking for data points of experience, to allow me to plan my trip accordingly (e.g. if allergen menus aren't common practice out of LHR, I'll eat in the lounge - problem solved!).

I'm asking this question as I've found airlines may give you one answer through customer service, and entirely another onboard.

I appreciate the comments that answer this question, super helpful thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.