Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Can CX check in agent change connecting flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2023, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXPLT

Last DEC, I purchased SFO-HKG-Tokyo. ETA HKG @ 6:30AM. At the time of purchase, the next avbl flight to Tokyo was 10:30am. Now there are flights fm HKG as early as 8am-ish. I called CX and the only way to change to earlier flight was to re book at added fare difference. All of this despite schedule changes/additions since I booked the flights.

Now I’m just going to ask SFO check in CX agent when I check in to see if they can adjust the connecting flight then. Perhaps with maybe with small change fee. Anyone ever have any experience with this? Where CX check in agent changed to earlier connecting flight with small fee or free? Thx any feedback.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by b74l
Last DEC, I purchased SFO-HKG-Tokyo. ETA HKG @ 6:30AM. At the time of purchase, the next avbl flight to Tokyo was 10:30am. Now there are flights fm HKG as early as 8am-ish. I called CX and the only way to change to earlier flight was to re book at added fare difference. All of this despite schedule changes/additions since I booked the flights.

Now I’m just going to ask SFO check in CX agent when I check in to see if they can adjust the connecting flight then. Perhaps with maybe with small change fee. Anyone ever have any experience with this? Where CX check in agent changed to earlier connecting flight with small fee or free? Thx any feedback.
It depends on whether the said airport check-in desks have the ability to perform ticketing functions. When I tried this at KHH a couple of weeks back, the station manager basically said they no longer have the ability to change reservations and perform ticketing and so could not change my flights. She also asked why I did not try the call centre in advance as the call centre would have easily been able to make the change I was requesting. Oh well...
Old Sep 24, 2023, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
CX will not freely change your ticket simply because they added a new flight.
The will ask for pricing adjustment either by phone or at airport. if possible.

The only case where they will is if your current flight is cancelled or has a significant time change.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
CX will not freely change your ticket simply because they added a new flight.
The will ask for pricing adjustment either by phone or at airport. if possible.

The only case where they will is if your current flight is cancelled or has a significant time change.
Exactly. Your SFO check in agent will likely be able to reach out to ticketing for you to have your itinerary changed, but that will be effectively exactly the same as if you contacted ticketing yourself now to ask for the same and this will be subject to not only a change fee ("small" or not depends on your fare conditions) and fare recalculation. In all likelihood, this will be quite expensive to just save a couple of hours.

If what you have in mind is a "same day change" or "same day standby" thing US style, that's just not the norm in Asia or Europe.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:38 am

I miss the old days of paper tickets where you could, in effect, just standby for earlier flights and they would just pull the coupon. I did that so many times in the old days.
TomYoung likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by PaulC852
I miss the old days of paper tickets where you could, in effect, just standby for earlier flights and they would just pull the coupon. I did that so many times in the old days.
In terms of technology, e-tickets can perfectly function like that, too. Most airlines unfortunately choose not to offer this anymore.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 3:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K; Cathay Diamond; Asiana Club Diamond; SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
All of this despite schedule changes/additions since I booked the flights.
It seems that you were well aware of and agreed to the longer layover at the time of purchase. Are you somehow being affected or inconvenienced by the addition of this earlier flight? If not, what seems to be the problem of them asking for a fare difference charge?

At SFO, the last counter of the check in aisle (furthest from the entrance) is usually the Ticketing/ Stand-by. Like other posters suggested, you will get the same answer as calling the reservation center. Unfortunately, all the charges/fees are set and rarely negotiable whether in person or over the phone. To save yourself time and hassle, you should do the change with reservation before heading to the airport.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:26 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Anyway OP can try at SFO and HKG. Worse are both agents can say no Cathay Pacific Same-Day Flight Change?
Old Sep 25, 2023, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
The 1030am NRT CX520 flight is usually on a long-haul aircraft, while the earlier 8am to NRT is usually on a 773. If you are flying Business, Prem Econ or Econ, the 773 will be a pretty significant downgrade. Just spend 2 more hours in the best F lounges in the world.

If you are looking for the HND flight... call back regularly to check if your original fare bucket has become available then there won't be a fare difference (CX usually uses historical fares for revalidation). Or if you don't have checked baggage you can try again at HKG: making the change at HKG you are no longer subjected to married segment as the SFO-HKG has been flown (which, of course, availability could go both ways)
Old Sep 26, 2023, 1:29 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by shd9
If you are looking for the HND flight... call back regularly to check if your original fare bucket has become available then there won't be a fare difference (CX usually uses historical fares for revalidation). Or if you don't have checked baggage you can try again at HKG: making the change at HKG you are no longer subjected to married segment as the SFO-HKG has been flown (which, of course, availability could go both ways)
CX allows using historical fare when no change in routing (NRT and HND are both considered TYO for routing purpose) but if YR has increased, CX has the right to charge additional YR. I am not sure if the YR difference is collected consistently.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXPLT
Thanks everyone for your time, experiences, insights and replies. PERCYSMITH..thx for the earlier thread on this.
ernestnywang likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.