Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever successfully redeemed a flight to ORK / SNN / NOC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *Gold

Title says it all really, it's pretty easy to find XXX - LHR - DUB flights on BA/EI in the online search tool on cathaypacific.com but for some reason the secondary airports in Ireland draw a blank. Do I need to call for these or use the flight award request form? Or are they just flat out not available via CX miles?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Can you redeem with EI? I don't believe EI is part of oneworld and/or a partner. Therefore, you won't be able to book with CX miles.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by unityofsaints
it's pretty easy to find XXX - LHR - DUB flights on BA/EI in the online search tool on cathaypacific.com but for some reason the secondary airports in Ireland draw a blank
Because no CX partner flies LHR-ORK/SNN/NOC.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Because no CX partner flies LHR-ORK/SNN/NOC.
Given IAG owns EI I would've thought BA codeshares on all the EI flights?
Old Apr 5, 2023, 7:19 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Only prime flights can be redeemed with Asia Miles.
SilverChris likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 3:20 pm

I can't think of any airline/programme that allows codeshares to be booked as awards.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 5:18 am
Original Poster

I can't think of any airline/programme that allows codeshares to be booked as awards.
Fair enough, but the BA/EI relationship is much more than a codeshare. Call me an idealist but I would've hoped one could book AF/KL and BA/IB/EI flights entirely interchangeably. Instead these airlines have chosen to merge without merging. On the other hand, pre-COVID, I used to be able to book ORK-AMS-KUL-SYD on MH, quite an inconsistency (in an industry full of inconsistencies).
Old Apr 9, 2023, 3:32 pm

Fair enough, but the BA/EI relationship is much more than a codeshare. Call me an idealist but I would've hoped one could book AF/KL and BA/IB/EI flights entirely interchangeably. Instead these airlines have chosen to merge without merging. On the other hand, pre-COVID, I used to be able to book ORK-AMS-KUL-SYD on MH, quite an inconsistency (in an industry full of inconsistencies).
Award tickets have absolutely nothing to do with partnership/JV codeshares. Even in the example you cited about BA/EI, Avios can only be redeemed on prime flight numbers. That ORK-SYD award you booked through MH was because Enrich partnered with KL back in the day. But this is irrelevant because KL isn't an Asiamiles partner. The only inconsistency here is the way you bring up incomparable partnerships.
oldchinahand likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Award tickets have absolutely nothing to do with partnership/JV codeshares.
I know that they don't, but I just find it odd and inconsistent. Back when BA bought EI, it was treated like a merger by the regulators and that caused all sorts of concessions like the forced introduction/transfer of UK slots to Virgin yet however many years one can't even book a simple tag-on flight interchangeably between the two carriers? During the strikes in Germany in March I was automatically rebooked FRA-DUB (EI) to FRA-LHR-DUB (BA/EI) without a mention that I'd be flying a different carrier yet booking via miles on EI is treated like an utter impossibility. It's as if they act like one carrier one minute and totally separate the next. At least IB is in Oneworld with all that comes along with that. I know EI is more of a hybrid low-cost carrier but look at how SQ treats Scoot, there's FF integration etc.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 4:54 pm

During the strikes in Germany in March I was automatically rebooked FRA-DUB (EI) to FRA-LHR-DUB (BA/EI) without a mention that I'd be flying a different carrier yet booking via miles on EI is treated like an utter impossibility. It's as if they act like one carrier one minute and totally separate the next. At least IB is in Oneworld with all that comes along with that. I know EI is more of a hybrid low-cost carrier but look at how SQ treats Scoot, there's FF integration etc.
Again, you're just making irrelevant comparisons that have absolutely nothing to do with your ability to book EI awards through CX. What on earth does being rebooked on BA have to do with CX? All that talk about BA and SQ and TR is really just confusing yourself, quite frankly. The bottom line is EI is a separate airline with no FFP partnership with CX, regardless of who owns what.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Again, you're just making irrelevant comparisons that have absolutely nothing to do with your ability to book EI awards through CX. What on earth does being rebooked on BA have to do with CX? All that talk about BA and SQ and TR is really just confusing yourself, quite frankly. The bottom line is EI is a separate airline with no FFP partnership with CX, regardless of who owns what.
I'm not disputing any of that, I'm just saying that there very much ought to be deeper integration between the two carriers and their various partners and it's a big missed opportunity by IAG. They've fallen into the same "we'll merge but keep the two companies as separate as possible" trap that AF/KL and Daimler/Chrysler fell into.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 10:28 pm

I'm not disputing any of that, I'm just saying that there very much ought to be deeper integration between the two carriers and their various partners and it's a big missed opportunity by IAG. They've fallen into the same "we'll merge but keep the two companies as separate as possible" trap that AF/KL and Daimler/Chrysler fell into.
Then you need to take this discussion to the BA/EI forum. I suspect the Irish aren't going to be thrilled having British Airways as their home carrier.
MeltingAlf likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Then you need to take this discussion to the BA/EI forum. I suspect the Irish aren't going to be thrilled having British Airways as their home carrier.
Yes sorry this has dragged on too long. But I'm Irish and after I got over the initial disappointment of EI being swallowed up by BA I wanted (and still want) to make the most of it and tighter integration would help here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.