Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Terrible Cathay service about rebooking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2023, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC

I booked HKG-LHR-GIB for June departure (all on BA metal) and MAD-HKG (on CX), by asiamiles. Just received an email about a flight time change of LHR-GIB causing the connection time below minimum.

Called the hotline about rebooking, they said no rebooking options. I asked if it's possible to move me to an earlier flight (ie CX251) instead of my BA flight. The agent said there were no availability for the whole month, so I couldn't rebook.

Then I suggested to cancel the LHR-GIB leg, the agent said it was not possible. And she mentioned my whole ticked was cancelled by BA. I doubt why BA could cancel a CX issued ticket.

I checked both BA and CX MMB, all flights showing normal. I immediately asked her to go cx web to check, the agent checked and replied "I dont know"...

And I am typing this now while waiting her to put me on hold for more than 20 minutes already.

-----------------

Updated
CX finally "approved" me to cancel the LHR-GIB leg without compensation but need to pay for tax/fuel different. I asked for waiver but rejected. Now waiting payment link
percysmith likes this.

Last edited by neofung; Mar 23, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:42 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
That’s always the situation when CX ticketed flights unrelated to them as they have no obligation to put you on their own metal in your case, especially for a redemption ticket. They can always refund you the ticket and anything more than that is a gesture. Have you tried speaking with BA given they are the operating carrier?
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Chatter
That’s always the situation when CX ticketed flights unrelated to them as they have no obligation to put you on their own metal in your case, especially for a redemption ticket. They can always refund you the ticket and anything more than that is a gesture. Have you tried speaking with BA given they are the operating carrier?
It's the same even it's ticketed on their own flights. What they're doing for the involuntary changes of the redemption tickets is putting you on another available award seat.
You CANNOT request for a particular date of the flight even it's on the same day of your original flight unless you're a DM
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:53 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by davidtai
It's the same even it's ticketed on their own flights. What they're doing for the involuntary changes of the redemption tickets is putting you on another available award seat.
You CANNOT request for a particular date of the flight even it's on the same day of your original flight unless you're a DM
Yeah, DM makes a difference.

Though, what also makes a difference, is whether the outbound originates in the EU (or UK). Then, you have EC261/2004, which gives you more rights than just being shoved around like cattle.

Check out on this: Chances of award availability closer to travel

This person magically got 2 award seats DEL-HKG-SYD, despite the HKG-SYD flights being largely banned for award tickets, simply by the way he operated/behaved towards the CX helpdesk.

So, yep, it's difficult, though certainly not impossible.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by davidtai
Well, the impossible can happen.

As I posted on another thread, I had called Cathay to inquire about a simple issue on my booking (I am Diamond). Then, after that conversation, I asked the Agent for help with my Boss' and his wife's PER-HKG redemption booking (I am authorised to handle Boss'/wife's account) in Business class. Due to a flight cancellation by CX, they were moved to a flight one day earlier. That date was not possible for them due to some commitments, so I asked to change the flight to three days later instead. Agent said that redemption seats were not available, but I requested her to escalate the case to a supervisor to open up two seats for the desired date. One day later, the same Agent did call back to confirm that seats had been opened and confirmed for the desired date of travel. My Boss/Wife are Green Cathay members, so I am not sure how much pull or relevancy my Diamond status had with this issue.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 8:54 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Well, the impossible can happen.

As I posted on another thread, I had called Cathay to inquire about a simple issue on my booking (I am Diamond). Then, after that conversation, I asked the Agent for help with my Boss' and his wife's PER-HKG redemption booking (I am authorised to handle Boss'/wife's account) in Business class. Due to a flight cancellation by CX, they were moved to a flight one day earlier. That date was not possible for them due to some commitments, so I asked to change the flight to three days later instead. Agent said that redemption seats were not available, but I requested her to escalate the case to a supervisor to open up two seats for the desired date. One day later, the same Agent did call back to confirm that seats had been opened and confirmed for the desired date of travel. My Boss/Wife are Green Cathay members, so I am not sure how much pull or relevancy my Diamond status had with this issue.
If your wife is on your redemption list and using your miles, she may partake in your seat opening benefits.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
If your wife is on your redemption list and using your miles, she may partake in your seat opening benefits.
Sorry, not my wife . The persons I am referring to are my boss and HIS wife. They are Green members, and using Boss' miles.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:29 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Due to a flight cancellation by CX, they were moved to a flight one day earlier. That date was not possible for them due to some commitments, so I asked to change the flight to three days later instead.
OIC, there was CX-initiated interruption. You get some love from CX supervisors for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.