Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Waitlisting into a specific fare class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club

I'm looking to book a specific flight on a specific day from Europe - Hong Kong. I've pulled the availability off ExpertFlyer and seen this for the first time:

JL CL DL PL IL WL RL EL Y9 B9 HL KLML LL VL SL NL QL OL

I understand that the 'L' following the fare class means waitlisting. Has anyone waitlisted into a lower fare bucket before? I'm looking to travel Y but (call me stingy) would rather not pay the Y fare and instead a, for example, V fare if I could. Can I call CX to do this and/or would travel agents be willing to help?

Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:54 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Unlikely, and only if you play Airline Tycoon. Economics will mandate that airlines will sell at highest possible fare to maximize revenue
Old Mar 12, 2023, 7:00 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
IF your travel plan is flexible, there COULD be chance your waitlist may be cleared close to your planned departure.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
I'm looking to book a specific flight on a specific day from Europe - Hong Kong. I've pulled the availability off ExpertFlyer and seen this for the first time:

JL CL DL PL IL WL RL EL Y9 B9 HL KLML LL VL SL NL QL OL

I understand that the 'L' following the fare class means waitlisting. Has anyone waitlisted into a lower fare bucket before? I'm looking to travel Y but (call me stingy) would rather not pay the Y fare and instead a, for example, V fare if I could. Can I call CX to do this and/or would travel agents be willing to help?
Waitlist is always made to a specific booking class. In this case, you are free to choose to waitlist H, K, M, etc. class. Either CX call centre or a TA can do it for you. Of course, the higher the booking class, the more likely it will clear.
CarefreeBA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.