Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Does CX's website show mixed-class awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2023, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

I'm new to the CX website, but am considering moving Amex points to Asia Miles for a future redemption. However, I'm noticing some potentially odd behavior on the website, where I'm seeing availability for a multi-segment award, but not for the individual segments in the award.

Take for example: SFO-HKG-HKT in J on Nov 24, 2023. When I search for SFO to HKT, the website says there's availability on this multi-segment flight in J (CX873/CX771) for 85,000 miles. However, when I search for the SFO-HKG and HKG-HKT segments individually, the Nov 24 SFO-HKG (CX873) segment does not have any availability in J, while the Nov 26 HKG-HKT (CX771) segment does have availability in J. Is it possible the website is showing me an SFO-HKG-HKT flight where SFO-HKG is in Y but HKG-HKT is in J, but not marking it as such?

I could not find any indication on the website that this was a mixed-class award, but I'm not able to begin the checkout process without transferring enough miles. My fear is, of course, that after I transfer the 85,000 miles required, the flight ends up being mostly in economy.

Does CX open J award availability for a multi-segment flight even if there is no J award availability on one of the segments? As far as I know, no other airline does that. Or, does the CX website simply not mark mixed-class flights correctly?
Old Jan 3, 2023, 12:41 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by techtwink
I'm new to the CX website, but am considering moving Amex points to Asia Miles for a future redemption. However, I'm noticing some potentially odd behavior on the website, where I'm seeing availability for a multi-segment award, but not for the individual segments in the award.

Take for example: SFO-HKG-HKT in J on Nov 24, 2023. When I search for SFO to HKT, the website says there's availability on this multi-segment flight in J (CX873/CX771) for 85,000 miles. However, when I search for the SFO-HKG and HKG-HKT segments individually, the Nov 24 SFO-HKG (CX873) segment does not have any availability in J, while the Nov 26 HKG-HKT (CX771) segment does have availability in J. Is it possible the website is showing me an SFO-HKG-HKT flight where SFO-HKG is in Y but HKG-HKT is in J, but not marking it as such?

I could not find any indication on the website that this was a mixed-class award, but I'm not able to begin the checkout process without transferring enough miles. My fear is, of course, that after I transfer the 85,000 miles required, the flight ends up being mostly in economy.

Does CX open J award availability for a multi-segment flight even if there is no J award availability on one of the segments? As far as I know, no other airline does that. Or, does the CX website simply not mark mixed-class flights correctly?
This is called Married Segment Control (MSC). Having availability for SFO-HKG-HKT does not mean there are availabilities in the individual sectors. This principle applies to both revenue and award bookings.

If you redeem a mixed class award on (CX + CX) or (CX + another carrier), the mileage required would be prorated, hence not 85k AM if X+U (Y+J).
techtwink and HawaiiO like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:45 am

Made an interesting observation today. Works the other way around too. Nice little discount for HK-bound F passengers.

HawaiiO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.