Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

MPC rejected original routing credit request

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC GL, AA

I purchased a "Q" class JFK-SFO-LAX-SFO-JFK ticket on AA and used my MPC# because I need these miles to make GOLD before my year (3/31) ends. Due to weather, I got re-routed JFK-LAX with "o" class on the BP; and LAX-DFW-EWR on my way back with "Y" class on my BP. MPC credited me only for the LAX-DFW-EWR segments with 2,601 miles. AS a result, I am short more than 3,200 miles.

Thanks to Andrew (flyertalker) whom I met while in the Admiral Club after my flight was canceled twice. He suggested that I should request for an original routing credit which I did. I also faxed CX documents showing the ticket was confirmed as "Q" and the exchanges history from AA website showing how the ticket was re-routed. CX rejected my request with a boilerplate reason: "Booking class not eligible for earning Asia Miles".

I questioned AA with the "o" on the BP and CS said that should not matter b/c it's whatever available at time of re-routing. And they agreed that AA would have given me original routing credit in this case.

Just wondering if anyone has encountered the same situation and if there is any suggestion? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:52 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
I've read a few threads on FT (one specifically for AY/CX trip) and in that thread after consulting the airport staff, the FTer was given the re-routed trip's miles (more than original). You should insist that the original miles be credited.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:47 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
According to http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/site/terms#6, "If a member's air travel is disrupted due to reasons beyond the control of CPA or an airline partner (for example, extreme weather conditions/acts of God) and the member is forced to change carrier, mileage credits on the disrupted segments of the purchased ticket will only be credited to the original itinerary. In such circumstances the member will need to mail or fax the original passenger receipt and boarding pass to CPLP." Insist on this point!
vantage03 and wyskevin like this.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
According to http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/site/terms#6, "If a member's air travel is disrupted due to reasons beyond the control of CPA or an airline partner (for example, extreme weather conditions/acts of God) and the member is forced to change carrier, mileage credits on the disrupted segments of the purchased ticket will only be credited to the original itinerary. In such circumstances the member will need to mail or fax the original passenger receipt and boarding pass to CPLP." Insist on this point!
Excellent find ernestnywang!
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 8:53 am

Talking

ernestnywang is SUPER SMART!
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Yes, I agree! And thanks a million to ernestnywang. I will insist on it and report result.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:47 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Several times I have had problems getting credit on CX from One World partners. I then faxed an Asia Miles Claim form, an explanation letter with the boarding passes and ticket. Sometimes the claim gets denied with similar boilerplate messages such as "Booking class not eligible for earning Asia Miles" or "exact membership name not on flight passenger list", even though they are clearly wrong. I then have to email Marco Polo and point out to the error, (partner carrier rerouted, class purchased IS eligible, name is correct on boarding pass, etc) takes a while and takes effort, but eventually I obtained proper credit when it was due.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by traveler18
Several times I have had problems getting credit on CX from One World partners. I then faxed an Asia Miles Claim form, an explanation letter with the boarding passes and ticket. Sometimes the claim gets denied with similar boilerplate messages such as "Booking class not eligible for earning Asia Miles" or "exact membership name not on flight passenger list", even though they are clearly wrong. I then have to email Marco Polo and point out to the error, (partner carrier rerouted, class purchased IS eligible, name is correct on boarding pass, etc) takes a while and takes effort, but eventually I obtained proper credit when it was due.
Can you give me the e-mail address? Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2010, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by muimui8
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_ID/contactus/mpo_am
Old Mar 6, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Use the form in contact us at the CX website.

For sending attachments, I use [email protected]

However the form gets me faster response time.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
Excellent find ernestnywang!
Originally Posted by TalkFlyer
ernestnywang is SUPER SMART!
Yes, I agree! And thanks a million to ernestnywang. I will insist on it and report result.
Thank all of you for the compliments, and I hope you will be credited as soon as possible. It's sometimes a pain to deal with CPLP. I still have 2 mileage requests that have not yet been resolved. Do note that technically it only applies to AM and not MPO, as it only appears in AM's T&C, but I doubt they will end up only giving you AM but not MPO miles / segments.

Last edited by ernestnywang; Mar 6, 2010 at 1:43 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:14 am

Do note that technically it only applies to AM and not MPO, as it only appears in AM's T&C, but I doubt they will end up only giving you AM but not MPO miles / segments.
A recent, unhappy, data point on this.
Last year BA cancelled a SEA-LHR flight I was booked on as part of a SEA-LHR-DUB itinerary. They refused to reaccommodate me on their later flight that day or any of the three the next day and instead, against my wishes, put me on EI to Dublin. As EI is not a One World member so I could not credit it to Cathay, I credited that flight to BAEC. Looking back, that may have been a mistake and I think it might have been smarter to add no frequent flyer number at checkin.
As this journey was essential for me to maintain Diamond, I sent a letter to Cathay enclosing ticket and boarding pass copies and asking if I could have the club points only for the original routing, but received no response. I twice called the often useless call centre in the Philippines and on both occasions was told I would be contacted later, which I was not. Finally I sent a letter to the chief exec's office outlining the facts. Again, no response and I have now been downgraded to gold after almost a decade of diamond. I have now given up.
That has already affected some of my flight bookings which I would otherwise have booked on Cathay but instead chose otherwise.
TomYoung likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
"If a member's air travel is disrupted due to reasons beyond the control of CPA or an airline partner (for example, extreme weather conditions/acts of God) and the member is forced to change carrier, mileage credits on the disrupted segments of the purchased ticket will only be credited to the original itinerary. In such circumstances the member will need to mail or fax the original passenger receipt and boarding pass to CPLP."
HarbourGent this still exists https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...onditions.html (Asia Miles Earned Through Flight Transactions subclause 6) . However I've no suggestions on how to get CX to honour this clause on top of what you've already done, CX isn't concerned about members who have to earn their status instead of comfortably achieving their status ex-officio.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:58 am

Thanks Percy. The clause suggests I'm entitled to the club points but I see no way of getting them given that I've asked repeatedly so I'm at a dead end.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:55 pm

Programs: CX GO
On a Japan Airlines ticket, I had a flight that arrived in Singapore, and had an onward connection with Japan Airlines to Tokyo and then another flight to London. The plane broke down in Singapore, so I was put on Singapore Airlines to make my schedule - I would have missed the connection to London on a later Japan Airlines (not original flight number) flight out of Singapore. Would this have a chance at claiming original routing club points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.