Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

No extra leg room seat reservation for Silver member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2022, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Apologies if it has been discussed already. Seems that silver members are no longer able to reserve extra legroom seats for free anymore. Really a shame as this was one of the only perks I used.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by twonga
Apologies if it has been discussed already. Seems that silver members are no longer able to reserve extra legroom seats for free anymore. Really a shame as this was one of the only perks I used.
That is a real bummer. I checked on a long haul booking. Silver members can only reserve the "regular seats" which are in the back of the cabin. All bulk head and the first few rows in the economy cabin are now called "preferred seats" only reservable for Diamond and Gold members. All seats become open for Green and Silver at -48 hours which basically means everyone.
A real downgrade for Silver members. I have a few long haul coming up in J and will probably move to the BA loyalty program instead of trying to renew CX Silver! Bye bye CX!
Old Nov 9, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

offish topic'
Originally Posted by Dublinsouth
A real downgrade for Silver members. I have a few long haul coming up in J and will probably move to the BA loyalty program instead of trying to renew CX Silver! Bye bye CX!
BA are going to a spend based ffp in 2023.-->Spend-based Avios earning coming to BAEC in 2023

And would need mid-top BA status to access preferred seats -- https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits

The grass is not always greener on the other side.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: Executive Club
A shame it might be, but have you ever flown BA? It's terrible in comparison to CX, I would fly Cathay J over BA first any day of the week.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 2:14 pm

BA is a lot more generous in Avios and tier points than CX with Asia Miles when one is flying partner airline like JAL. I am based in Ireland so it has been a nightmare trying to connect to a CX longhaul since CX stopped the Dublin HKG direct route. It is almost impossible to book award flight with Asia Miles to/from Dublin as Aer Lingus is not One World. At least with Avios I can always connect via LHR with BA. BA's new CW suites are at least as good as CX J and BA is definitely cheaper for the HKG route. I am flying Dub-HKG at Chrstmas J/F with a fare that is cheaper than CX PEY/J for the same dates. No need to change terminal at LHR and breakfast in the Concord Room on the way home!
Old Nov 9, 2022, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drivingflyingwalking
A shame it might be, but have you ever flown BA? It's terrible in comparison to CX, I would fly Cathay J over BA first any day of the week.
The airline you fly and the airline ffp you credit flights to does not need to be the same
BA IB IE & Qatar QR now all using avios as the common ff currency that can be moved from one airline ffp to another airline ffp is a good benefit.
With Dublinsouth living in Ireland as a guess would not be hard getting the required 2/4 BAEC qualifying flights for status.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

The most disappointing thing is that CX just removed the perk without notifying any of the silver members. At least I wasn’t aware as a flight I took even last week allowed silvers to choose the extra legroom/ preferred seats.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 7:52 pm

The most disappointing thing is that CX just removed the perk without notifying any of the silver members. At least I wasn’t aware as a flight I took even last week allowed silvers to choose the extra legroom/ preferred seats.
I only found out from reading your post! And you cannot even pay cash for these extra leg room or preferred seats (other than using AM to redeem extra legroom seats) unless you buy the flex fare! At least BA allows you pay for any available seat!
The other problem I have with CX long haul at least from my own experience ex Europe during the pandemic is that the passengers are mainly Mandarin speaking and using HKG as a hub due to the shortage of and the exhorbitant price for direct flights to Mainland China. Its more like travelling on a Chinese Airline!
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:12 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
offish topic'
BA are going to a spend based ffp in 2023.-->Spend-based Avios earning coming to BAEC in 2023

And would need mid-top BA status to access preferred seats -- https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits

The grass is not always greener on the other side.
I believe this change is only going to affect Avios earning, not Tier Points?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:15 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Dublinsouth
That is a real bummer. I checked on a long haul booking. Silver members can only reserve the "regular seats" which are in the back of the cabin. All bulk head and the first few rows in the economy cabin are now called "preferred seats" only reservable for Diamond and Gold members. All seats become open for Green and Silver at -48 hours which basically means everyone.
Is this just from Manage My Booking, or are call centres also acting this way?

MMB won't allow an OWE to change seats after (revenue) ticketing, after being able to assign seats on initial booking.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
Is this just from Manage My Booking, or are call centres also acting this way?

MMB won't allow an OWE to change seats after (revenue) ticketing, after being able to assign seats on initial booking.
unfortunately both manage my booking and the call centres are unable to help. They just respond that the “policy has changed”
percysmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.