Wiki Posts
Search

MPO Membership Year Restart

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2022, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
MPO Membership Year Restart

Anyone tried restarting their membership year recently? I know this used to be commonly done pre-pandemic, and especially for DM's already reaching their requirments. However, I have been dropped down to GR, not sure if they do it for Green members? Looking to start building my way up again as travel now start to resume.

My current membership year ends Dec 31

But with common Christmas travels that outbound in Dec, and inbound in Jan, I would prefer to have it restarted to maybe a Nov 30th. Anyone know if this is possible?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:00 am

Can’t answer your direct question but the other way of dealing with this (for this year) is to remove your MPO # from your reservation and then submit a missing mileage claim in the new year.

If you’re GR, you won’t be missing much by way of perks so this could be the simplest way. MPO status was earned based on posting date rather than activity date and I don’t think we’ve seen anything saying that Cathay status would be different.

This doesn’t answer the longer term question either but normal years should be a wash as to whether you cut off in November or December.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 5:24 pm

Under the new Cathay program, all membership years run 01 Jan - 31 Dec.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Under the new Cathay program, all membership years run 01 Jan - 31 Dec.
This is incorrect despite the actions Cathay has taken that would seem to indicate otherwise. At present, the T&C for Cathay membership continue to follow the old system of resets at the time of status upgrade.

Originally Posted by Cathay Membership Terms and Conditions
11. The accrual period for Status Points is 12 months commencing on the first day of each Member’s Membership Period, or if the Member has accrued the required number of Status Points to progress to the next immediate Status, 12 months commencing on the day that the Member progressed to the next immediate Status.

13. If a Member has accrued the required number of Status Points to progress to the next immediate Status, the Member will automatically progress to the next immediate Status and his/her Status Points will be reset to zero upon progressing to the next immediate Status. The Member must accrue the required number of Status Points to maintain or progress to the next immediate Status during the 12 months following the day that the Member progressed to the next immediate Status otherwise the Member’s Status will expire and will be reset to Green Status.
Old May 17, 2023, 8:36 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Bring up this old thread...did anyone try resetting the membership year? I am close to 600 points and have no plan to go for any mid-tier benefits.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 5:36 am

Programs: MPC Gold
Originally Posted by CXYYZ
This is incorrect despite the actions Cathay has taken that would seem to indicate otherwise. At present, the T&C for Cathay membership continue to follow the old system of resets at the time of status upgrade.
Hi, is my understanding of the T&C correct?

My situation is as follows:
Current status points - 110

Upcoming trips:
Vancouver trip Sept 2023 - 161
Europe trip Oct 2023 - 250
Osaka trip Oct 2023 - 120
Singapore trip Dec 2023 - 120

I will have a total of 761 points from Sept to Dec 2023

After my Europe trip, I will be at 521points.

1. Will my status upgrade to Gold after the 1st three flights of the Osaka trip (95 points)?
2. All segments after earning 600 status points will be credited to my "new" membership year?

Last edited by dmatthew; Aug 30, 2023 at 7:12 pm
Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:04 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by dmatthew
Hi, is my understanding of the T&C correct?

My situation is as follows:
Current status points - 110

Upcoming trips:
Vancouver trip Sept 2023 - 161
Europe trip Oct 2023 - 250
Osaka trip Oct 2023 - 120
Singapore trip Dec 2023 - 120

total 761 points from Sept to Dec 2023

After my Europe trip, I will be at 521points.

1. Will my status upgrade to Gold after the 1st three flights of the Osaka trip (85 points)?
2. All segments after earning 600 status points will be credited to my "new" membership year?
Assuming you are currently SL as your profile indicates,
1. Yes, within a few days. If not, call.
2. Yes, if you are staying in Osaka for a few days. Your new membership year will end on 31OCT2024.
dmatthew likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:11 pm

Programs: MPC Gold
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Assuming you are currently SL as your profile indicates,
1. Yes, within a few days. If not, call.
2. Yes, if you are staying in Osaka for a few days. Your new membership year will end on 31OCT2024.
Good to know and thank you!
ernestnywang likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.