Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX miles not as useful anymore

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2022, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

CX miles not as useful anymore

I have 300,000 AsiaMiles and have been surprised how hard they are to use - I have spent hours looking and cannot find a single business or first class flight from the West Coast of the US to Europe throughout the summer this year.

I know OneWorld availability can be pretty stingy, but am I missing something here? does cathaypacific.com have all of the availability displayed, or are they like SQ where you have to call them up?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions!
Gongzuokuang likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 11:51 pm

AsiaMiles... pretty much worthless for award tickets on most routes due to lack of inventory. Now only somewhat usable for cash + miles redemptions, which are terrible value.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:02 am

I knew that more than a year ago
Old May 16, 2022, 6:42 am

Find route operated by Qatar and listed on Google Flights. Phone Marco Polo/Asia Miles . Ask when is first available flight using points. Could be months ahead, but take it assuming you have the flexibility of when able to travel.
Old May 16, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
Try Finnair's LAX-ARN route, have seen decent availability but just 1 seat per flight.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:29 pm

About 6-8 weeks ahead of flight I found sporadic availability for QR to Europe from KUL, and from Europe to KUL and SIN. But two weeks later, all have dried up. So it's largely due to spiked summer demand.

Last edited by carrotjuice; May 17, 2022 at 2:37 pm
Old May 16, 2022, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I just booked SIN-HKG in business, for two people, in July. The planes look pretty empty as of now. Need to burn all the "old style" miles soon.
Old May 17, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Would like to do the same but I need to transfer in Hong Kong and don't know whether they will merge the ticket for me, sigh.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:51 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ally-work.html

Originally Posted by percysmith
You're realising HK$0.055/AM. I'm aiming for $0.058.

Once CX removed Choice awards, miles plus cash is my highest and best use for AM. I'm valuing my miles at $0.058 now; hence, preferring most cash rebate programs for spending (recently, going for a lot of BoC 10X points promotions where each 1X = 0.6% cash rebate).
Old May 23, 2022, 9:45 pm

I have 280k AM expiring in Sept.... am resigned to the fact I can't use them for flights, and will have to resort to exchanging them for low-qual garbage trinkets on the AM site.
Old May 31, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: *Gold
Originally Posted by Pickles
I just booked SIN-HKG in business, for two people, in July. The planes look pretty empty as of now. Need to burn all the "old style" miles soon.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "old style" miles? Is some sort of change coming?
Old May 31, 2022, 6:22 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by unityofsaints
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "old style" miles? Is some sort of change coming?
The change came in 2019/2020. Old miles were earned in 2019 or before.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
About 6-8 weeks ahead of flight I found sporadic availability for QR to Europe from KUL, and from Europe to KUL and SIN. But two weeks later, all have dried up. So it's largely due to spiked summer demand.
My QR flight for September BKK-LHR booked on points in April, so a 20 week gap back then.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:37 pm

Try positioning from YVR or Chicago.
CX is in a bad shape financially and therefore needs to bring in the highest revenue per seat.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Barkinpark
Try positioning from YVR or Chicago.
CX is in a bad shape financially and therefore needs to bring in the highest revenue per seat.
Flight availability is more about which One World airlines can provide a route to where one wants to go and if redemption seats are available, so its a workaround probably for the rest of this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.