Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How does miles plus cash actually work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *Gold

Hi,

I'm trying to book 3 award seats in business and am a little short on the required miles but the website keeps offering me the "Book with Miles Plus Cash" option - however when I click on that I just get redirected to the regular cash booking engine with no miles+cash option in sight. Has anyone successfully used this?
craig44485 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by unityofsaints
Hi,

I'm trying to book 3 award seats in business and am a little short on the required miles but the website keeps offering me the "Book with Miles Plus Cash" option - however when I click on that I just get redirected to the regular cash booking engine with no miles+cash option in sight. Has anyone successfully used this?
The "Book with Miles Plus Cash" option to use miles to pay for a cash ticket at an extremely poor conversion rate. I believe what you are looking for is https://www.asiamiles.com/en/account...-up-miles.html, not "Book with Miles Plus Cash."
unityofsaints and HarbourGent like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I tried it just on a lark, and the conversion rates were beyond absurd. Something like 90,000 Asia Miles would lower the ticket price by HKD 5,000. It's rather insulting.
Old May 17, 2022, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
I tried it just on a lark, and the conversion rates were beyond absurd. Something like 90,000 Asia Miles would lower the ticket price by HKD 5,000. It's rather insulting.
Indeed, most of these "partial pay" options usually are.

However, I think BA actually has a fairly decent rate that people seem to use.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by CX HK
Indeed, most of these "partial pay" options usually are.

However, I think BA actually has a fairly decent rate that people seem to use.
The AMEX MR program has something similar, which isn't terrible. Neither is the Hyatt C+P program. But these from CX are just downright insulting. Would only consider using if I really had no use for the points, couldn't extend them, and they were expiring shortly. And there are other ways to extend them, as we know.
Old May 17, 2022, 8:17 am

The AMEX MR program has something similar, which isn't terrible. Neither is the Hyatt C+P program. But these from CX are just downright insulting. Would only consider using if I really had no use for the points, couldn't extend them, and they were expiring shortly. And there are other ways to extend them, as we know.
Oh yes, you are right about the AMEX MR program. I think it works out to around 1% cashback equivalent, which isn't bad.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:50 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
You're realising HK$0.055/AM. I'm aiming for $0.058.

Once CX removed Choice awards, miles plus cash is my highest and best use for AM. I'm valuing my miles at $0.058 now; hence, preferring most cash rebate programs for spending (recently, going for a lot of BoC 10X points promotions where each 1X = 0.6% cash rebate).
Old May 18, 2022, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
You're realising HK$0.055/AM. I'm aiming for $0.058.

Once CX removed Choice awards, miles plus cash is my highest and best use for AM. I'm valuing my miles at $0.058 now; hence, preferring most cash rebate programs for spending (recently, going for a lot of BoC 10X points promotions where each 1X = 0.6% cash rebate).
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm assuming you are basing your $0.058 valuation off of redeeming Economy class tickets, and not Business / First?
Old May 18, 2022, 12:30 am

Premium Economy, which is the tix most family members will travel on on any regular basis. Sure we buy business in an emergency, or if mother's involved, but not generally otherwise.
Old May 18, 2022, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Premium Economy, which is the tix most family members will travel on on any regular basis. Sure we buy business in an emergency, or if mother's involved, but not generally otherwise.
That's generally how I travel for leisure as well. Sad to see it is $0.058 valuation now; did you come to this by comparing miles required and the real fare cost? Or are there other adjustments made?

I have been too lazy to update my own ratios, but with travel coming later this summer I might have to start doing so again.
Old May 18, 2022, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Compared to a recent redemption booking I made for SIN-HKG in J for 25K AsiaMiles, which depending on the J fare, is definitely more than HKD 0.20 per AM, HKD 0.058 per AM is a crass insult.
Old May 18, 2022, 2:48 pm

Compared to a recent redemption booking I made for SIN-HKG in J for 25K AsiaMiles, which depending on the J fare, is definitely more than HKD 0.20 per AM, HKD 0.058 per AM is a crass insult.
Sure. Standard awards are a better use in most circumstances. But my pre-pandemic balance can't be burned down that way.

Some pre-pandemic travel on Choice has been refunded and can't be rebooked as Standard.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:04 pm

To answer your question, miles plus cash works like a mugging.
Old May 19, 2022, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
To answer your question, miles plus cash works like a mugging.
Or like a charm, if you are CX and want to unwind some liabilities at low cost.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: CX DM / Marriott LT Titanium
a bit like this....

...they are stealing from us

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.