Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

60k Asia miles expiring in a month. Give me ideas for travel!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:14 am
Original Poster

I have 60k Asia miles expiring in about a month. I'd appreciate travel thoughts/best use. I'm open to anything from 4 economy, one way to US destination, to one person international business. Best site to search for award availability?

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by lindsey988
I have 60k Asia miles expiring in about a month. I'd appreciate travel thoughts/best use. I'm open to anything from 4 economy, one way to US destination, to one person international business. Best site to search for award availability?

Thanks!
Call or use online chat and ask for extension.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Thanks!
Hard to give ideas if you don’t state your origin point.

I was able to burn some Asia Miles for SEA-LHR in J while it was running on AA; they also usually end up with less YQ on BA. 61k o/w.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
I have tried to redeem AA LAX-JFK - business or first. Nothing is available. Checked over months with an agent.
Using AA miles almost any flight was available - some "web special" at reduced mileage on first. Clearly there is lot's of award space using their own AAdvantage miles, but AA is not giving any sears to CX

They seem willing to extend expiration date.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 5:44 am
Original Poster

No AA seats

It has been my experience too that AA seats are not bookable with Asia Miles at this time. Lookes up months on different routes. AA "web specials" at 7k miles not bookable. Would have loved to book 4 one ways domestic economy, but it doesn't look like its gonna happen. I will either chat to try and extend or take a weekend off to Ireland...
Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:02 pm

It has been my experience too that AA seats are not bookable with Asia Miles at this time. Lookes up months on different routes. AA "web specials" at 7k miles not bookable. Would have loved to book 4 one ways domestic economy, but it doesn't look like its gonna happen. I will either chat to try and extend or take a weekend off to Ireland...
AA redemption is never supported online but you can call and ask agent to book.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Leaving from where?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m telling you; I’ve burned a six digit number of Asia Miles on AA flights in the last year. Note that you need SAVER not Web Special to have it be bookable by a partner. Check on the AA site and call if the AM website isn’t giving it to you (I had to call on one of my bookings).

For the moment, any AA award flight you can see on AS (alaskaair.com) should be partner available…it’s changing soon but not yet.
ernestnywang and HarbourGent like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 27, 2022 at 12:44 pm
Old Mar 28, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Hard to give ideas if you don’t state your origin point.
Based on anecdotal evidence and my experience of FT, in >90% of all cases when OT does not initially specify their origin airport / country, they eventually turn out to be US-based. Looks like this is another such case.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Call or use online chat and ask for extension.
Thought I'd add my experience today. I have 77,000 miles expiring at the end of the month. First, I tried WhatsApp chat via Cathay's site and got nowhere; just automated responses. Then I called and spent 40-50 mins with an agent who ultimately told me I could either pay an expensive (in her words) price in dollars to extend or try the mileage renewal option on their website (essentially converting 30,000 Amex MR points to Asia Miles), so I got off the line and tried the chat function on the Asia Miles website. I got a live agent right away and she immediately understood the problem and extended my miles, free of charge, until the end of July 2023, which can be extended through activity.
infinitium and ernestnywang like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just spent more AM on a flight redemption not involving CX for 2023 (JL USA-Australia). But apparently it’s impossible to spend them on anything.

https://giphy.com/gifs/jennifer-lawr...-Fml0fgAxVx1eM
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:41 pm

Just tried contacting AM via their Chat function to extend my 65,000 miles expiring June 2022.
Sadly AM was not helpful. They pointed me to their Offers page where a current miles extension promo is running, but none of those options are viable for me.

Thought my status as GO would help push the case for a +1 yr extension... Agent simply said no, it can't be done. Disappointed.

Will try calling and speaking with human next time....
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by strummerjones
Then I called and spent 40-50 mins with an agent who ultimately told me I could either pay an expensive (in her words) price in dollars to extend or try the mileage renewal option on their website (essentially converting 30,000 Amex MR points to Asia Miles), so I got off the line and tried the chat function on the Asia Miles website.
Originally Posted by infinitium
Just tried contacting AM via their Chat function to extend my 65,000 miles expiring June 2022.
Sadly AM was not helpful. They pointed me to their Offers page where a current miles extension promo is running, but none of those options are viable for me.

Thought my status as GO would help push the case for a +1 yr extension... Agent simply said no, it can't be done. Disappointed.

Will try calling and speaking with human next time....
I am GO and I only called once. Agent agreed to reinstate the miles as new miles after expiration. Said it would take a month. My miles expired in Feb. but have not yet been reinstated. Did call again a few days ago and confirmed the expired miles would be reinstated soon.
infinitium likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I am GO and I only called once. Agent agreed to reinstate the miles as new miles after expiration. Said it would take a month. My miles expired in Feb. but have not yet been reinstated. Did call again a few days ago and confirmed the expired miles would be reinstated soon.
To give everyone an update, I just got my miles expired at end of Feb. reinstated under "Exceptional Miles Renewal."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.