Search

3 Pilots fired

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2021, 4:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC KLM
3 Pilots fired

Cathay fires 3 pilots for breaking covid rules. See attached link https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...TR4D1SIC_EmapY
Old Nov 18, 2021, 5:03 am

To be honest, breaching quarantine rules like leaving your hotel room would result in jail time in Hong Kong. CX is trying very hard to appease HK / China and to get back some goodwill so you can be sure they'll crackdown hard on any violations.

But there's already serious discontent among crew with CX, so I don't see this ending well...
Old Nov 18, 2021, 5:25 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
120+ pilots and their familes in Penny Bay just cause of these 3.....
tauphi likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
and many more students also.

and what about those pilots who break rule but not tested positive ? No punishment?
marcuslai likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Apparently, it is over 150 crew plus many hundreds close contacts.
If that happened in Hong Kong, the pilots would indeed be jailed. Hence, being fired is a rather light sentence according to HK standards.
JordanWalker and tauphi like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
So will HK continue to try to entertain the concept of zero-covid forever? Why would anyone want to be a pilot for CX when they are essentially sent to hotel jail wherever they are.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RK23
So will HK continue to try to entertain the concept of zero-covid forever? Why would anyone want to be a pilot for CX when they are essentially sent to hotel jail wherever they are.
HK and CX don’t have much choice in the matter. They are Zero Covid until they are told not to be Zero
Covid anymore.
ewoo, TomYoung, buschoi and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by RK23
Zero-covid is one isssue. Breaching your company's protocols is another. Don't try to let the former distract you and excuse for their actions.

Come on, of all countries....Germany???! With 60k+ cases daily???
tauphi and Fly Me To The Moon like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC KLM

Come on, of all countries....Germany???! With 60k+ cases daily???
You say daily, may I ask how many days this year they have had 60K daily cases ???? The latest report below might give you a clue that your comment of 60K daily is not correct and paints a very false picture.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 6:28 pm

Here's a very interesting Instagram story from a CX cargo pilot who is on day 4 of 21 days in a shipping container:

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxp...dium=copy_link

I am all for being cautious with Covid, but this sounds like collective punishment to me.
tauphi and ewoo like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The "funny" part is that Germany is still classified as "medium risk" Group B, despite having for months a multiple of the cases (per 100,000 inhabitants) of most major countries in group A. Tests are also fewer.
The list was updated recently but Germany still in Group B.
Must be a political decision.
hessbo and tauphi like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 8:27 pm

Whilst I totally sympathise with the pilots and obviously the Hong Kong rules are insane / stupid, all of us in Asia are having to adhere to COVID-theatre rules whether we like them or not so if they did breach by going out of their hotel rooms then they would have been smart enough to know there would be consequences if they unfortunately got caught / worse, spread COVID back home in Hong Kong.
marcuslai and tauphi like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 9:34 pm
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana
And now this reported in the Standard. Seriously starting to wonder how much longer CX will be around...

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...o-call-in-sick
Old Nov 20, 2021, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I love how they treat them as a biohazard the moment they get off the plane yet as soon as they're "released" they're absolutely fine to be dumped at the nearest MTR station.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...1112000514.htm

111 crew have been released from Penny Bay quarantine, following an investigation by CHP and Cathay Pacific.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.