Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flight will get cancelled - how flexible is CX in offering alternatives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight will get cancelled - how flexible is CX in offering alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by maclover
I thought so too, but given that the timing mimic the pax flight and it is always operated by 35x, I crossed my fingers hoping it was a “rescue” flight where pax across Europe are consolidated to.

I thought converting to cargo mode one of the many 77W would have had more sense.
but I guess it’s just my wishful thinking
I checked the registrations of the birds flying CX2288 and they usually fly pax routes around their CX2288/2289 flights. B-LXL even flew as CX289 to FRA on 3 September.and back as CX2288.
But I would doubt that CX needs to fly so many pax birds from/to FRA.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems that CX has again made adjustments overnight to its European schedule. My CDG flight end-September has just been zeroed out (has already been rescheduled 3 times).

maclover, CX is now selling tickets via FRA on 3 October with an attractive 1h35 connection in FRA. and CX288 is listed as a 77W with plenty of space.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
It seems that CX has again made adjustments overnight to its European schedule. My CDG flight end-September has just been zeroed out (has already been rescheduled 3 times).

maclover, CX is now selling tickets via FRA on 3 October with an attractive 1h35 connection in FRA. and CX288 is listed as a 77W with plenty of space.
hi brunos
just received official email too

my wife is now on the phone with AsiaMiles but they are totally unhelpful.

they are just willing to move her in premium economy on that flight (business is showing as waitlisted) but the biggest issue is that they aren’t willing to add the Lufthansa leg to get to FRA.

My main concern is that if on separate tickets LH refuses to do through check-in it will be a mess for the luggage
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
As other threads in this board attest, CX has shifted its schedules frequently during the pandemic while QR has had a pretty consistent record of flying its scheduled flights. For peace of mind, if I was in your position I'd be temped to buy a QR ticket (one way runs around 500 euros in economy in coming weeks). Relying on the prospect of CX sorting you out here will raise your stress levels. If they do, great, and maybe you can change the QR ticket, and if they don't, then you have more peace of mind. Good luck.
I agree. I would not rely on an award ticket, especially given the difficulty in securing hotel reservations. Many of the flights into HK are practically empty in economy flying (I don't have any data points for Finnair though), so economy isn't necessarily a bad option at the moment.

Personally, I would book Finnair asap if giving birth in HK is a priority. Finnair seems to be the safest option (versus LH and QR). They are less likely than QR to have flights banned and Finland "seems" to be at lower risk of getting upgraded to a high risk country.
DiamondMile and HarbourGent like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:47 pm

I wonder if it would really be operated by 77W in October. CX288 has been flying A35K in the past few months and CX always has a last minute update on their equipment.
Anyway the schedule now shows 4 weekly CX288 in October which seems too good to be true. I guess most flights will be zeroed out later.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Can you just buy a ticket instead of using AM?
Nicc HK likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Can you just buy a ticket instead of using AM?
sure!
we opted for AM before as my wife much preferred a non stop solution over anything else

that one-way MXP-HKG J flight would have been ~3K€ if paid in cash, then a redemption made a lot of sense.
as I never redeemed AM before, I wouldn’t have imagine the customer care would had been this bad
Old Sep 11, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
How are people ascertaining if a CX flight is zeroed out?
Old Sep 11, 2021, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

expertflyer.com
Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maclover
hi brunos
just received official email too

my wife is now on the phone with AsiaMiles but they are totally unhelpful.

they are just willing to move her in premium economy on that flight (business is showing as waitlisted) but the biggest issue is that they aren’t willing to add the Lufthansa leg to get to FRA.

My main concern is that if on separate tickets LH refuses to do through check-in it will be a mess for the luggage
I believe that you should insist.
This is a flight from Europe and they are bound by EC261. They have to offer you a rerouting, award or not.
From Europe they seem to only open PE not J. But they cancelled your flight so they have to open J if they have revenue seats available.
As they are officially selling MXP-FRA-HKG, they should reroute you on that itin.
Just insist.
A friend just got his CDG-HKG (award) cancelled and automatically rebooked to the next flight. He could not take it as he had important conference calls scheduled on that day. He insisted to move a week later, but only PE was open as award (like on all other flights). After contacting MP, he had no problem having CX open award space in J on his desired flight.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks Brunos
nothing to do with AM: they have been totally unhelpful.

at the end I found myself availability on AY through HEL… and they were so accommodating to even charge me 180USD as MXP-HEL-HKG is 5.000 Asia Miles more expensive than MXP-HKG on CX.

Today even AY flight got cancelled … and the auto-rebooking put my wife on a routing that would be require to do a 25h layover in HEL that would require her to pay for hotel, do another COVID test and get through all the hassle of collecting bag and check it in again the next day.

I called AY but they say it’s AM meant to solve this
I called AM and again they showed to be unhelpful just repeating over over standard stuff

their only option is to refund miles

unfortunately EC261 won’t help here as we are still 14+ days out of flight
sure they have an obligation to offer rerouting but if wife doesn’t accept them, they simply ask you to cancel
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sad that AM is so unhelpful.
I guess that they are overwhelmed with requests. Not a good time to travel to HK.

See: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage

I have also decided to postpone my return. Anyway there is no business to do from there and many companies have started to deal directly with factories in China since HK is of no use being locked on all sides.No need for a HK intermediary.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Sad that AM is so unhelpful.
At the end Finnair had been way more helpful. They moved my wife to a flight with normal 1h35m connection time even it had no ward availability.
CX had just to reissue the e-tix.

now, to summarize the whole thing with emoticon

👍 to Finnair
👎👎👎 to Cathay / Asia Miles that has been unhelpful at best through all of this matter

🤞🤰🏻🛬🇭🇰
brunos and percysmith like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.