Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX to Introduce "New Economy Fares" & Change Bag Allowance to "Piece Concept"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX to Introduce "New Economy Fares" & Change Bag Allowance to "Piece Concept"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2022, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by The ITDA
Are they usually fine with it in practice?
I don't believe so.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I don't believe so.
Thanks. It sucks that CX now matched AA for transpacific allowance, but didn't match the elite allowance, and AA is not going back to most of Asia for trips when I need more bags.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Are they usually fine with it in practice?
​​​​​​From YYZ ground staff:
All station manager must account for all comp'ed baggage allowed over written allowances.

So unless the station manager's Yee Mah regularly have dim sum with your Goo Jei, getting extra bags free for a non status companion would be very low.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Thanks. It sucks that CX now matched AA for transpacific allowance, but didn't match the elite allowance, and AA is not going back to most of Asia for trips when I need more bags.
Buy JL
Old Jan 28, 2024, 1:59 am

may i resuscitate this thread by asking how strict CX is with this "piece concept". I am OWE with AA, flying CX from HKG to MNL next month. With OWE status, CX's app says i have 2x23kg. if i were to take 3 bags (less than 46kg in total), would the CX first class check in in HKG make a fuss about it? anyone has similar experiences before?

Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2024, 5:18 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by hkgg
may i resuscitate this thread by asking how strict CX is with this "piece concept". I am OWE with AA, flying CX from HKG to MNL next month. With OWE status, CX's app says i have 2x23kg. if i were to take 3 bags (less than 46kg in total), would the CX first class check in in HKG make a fuss about it? anyone has similar experiences before?

Thanks!
i presume you are on econ lite?
Old Jan 28, 2024, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
i presume you are on econ lite?
it’s a redemption ticket in economy using AA.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 9:28 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Below is a summary of the information CX recently distributed to travel agents.

There will be 3 categories of Y fares: Light, Essential, and Flex.
Light fare - 1 bag of 23kg
Essential fare - 2 bags of 23kg each and free standard seat selection. AM upgrade permitted.
Flex fare - All the above + free extra legroom seat selection, no penalty for flight changes, and free standby for earlier flights at the airport.

Refund and change fees are differentiated, with Light fare tickets having the highest fees. There will still be a refund penalty for Flex fare tickets, but it will be lower than those of Essential fare.

The MPO benefit of free advanced seat reservation will stay the same. All tickets will have a bag allowance using the "piece concept." It is unclear how the extra bag benefit will change for SL members, since SL members currently only get 10kg extra on "weight concept" itineraries and none on "piece concept" ones.

W cabin tickets will have a bag allowance of 2 pieces of 23kg each in the future, the same as Y (except Light). There will be a slight reduction on the allowance for W cabin tickets to North America, since the current allowance is 2 pieces of 25kg each.

J and F cabin tickets will have a bag allowance of 2 pieces of 32kg each in the future, except HKG-AKL/CHC and v. v. tickets will have 3 pieces of 23kg each.

For W, Standard fare will be renamed as Essential fare. For J, Standard will also become Essential, while Save will become Light.

it seems CX has made the ticketing way to complex. it seems you can get 3 fare brackets (YBHK), (MLV) or (SNQO) and on top of that they have Flex, Essential and Light fares. It was really frustrating the other day when i got an Econ K ticket that somehow was the economy light ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.