Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will CX stop flying because of crew quarantine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will CX stop flying because of crew quarantine?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:17 pm

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I would think this is a concern for the crew? --> https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...usiness-class/
crew and other pax
Old Feb 10, 2021, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by ma930407
I see CX is still selling CX837 on 26 Feb on its website.
CX 837 on 26 Feb cancelled, and I was protected onto CX 865 of 01 Mar.

Unfortunately, just got email that CX 865 is also now cancelled.

Now protected on CX 865 of 03 Mar.

I wonder if Air Canada might be more reliable. Their cabin crew are not subject to the same quarantine as CX crews? I have just posted in the Air Canada forum to get some feedback.

Last edited by Fly Me To The Moon; Feb 10, 2021 at 4:32 am
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:31 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines
Looks like these will be the 18 remaining routes and frequencies for the foreseeable...

Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by MainlyMiles
Looks like these will be the 18 remaining routes and frequencies for the foreseeable...

https://twitter.com/mainly_miles/sta...59186946412544
Very timely information; thank you! I just posted my unfortunate situation a few seconds before you did.

I just called CX to inquire how much money would be refunded to me if I did not use my return sector YVR-HKG. MPC said that they could not answer my question, and would need to pass this to ticketing who would then need to check with finance. MPC said that the reply could be very quick, or could take 1-2 months. That was so ridiculous.

Assuming that your posted info is correct, looks like all Vancouver services are cancelled. I will need to book on AC instead. One ways are not cheap!
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:43 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines
Very timely information; thank you! I just posted my unfortunate situation a few seconds before you did.

I just called CX to inquire how much money would be refunded to me if I did not use my return sector YVR-HKG. MPC said that they could not answer my question, and would need to pass this to ticketing who would then need to check with finance. MPC said that the reply could be very quick, or could take 1-2 months. That was so ridiculous.

Assuming that your posted info is correct, looks like all Vancouver services are cancelled. I will need to book on AC instead. One ways are not cheap!
For now, this new schedule is only until the end of the month. Beyond that though I think without any shift from the government, CX has little choice but to extend it, and there will be similar changes for March posted in the coming days.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:46 am

From mainlymile.com, CX will suspend services to the following destination

brisbane
frankfurt
melbourne
perth
san Francisco
vancouver
KL
ho chi minh
seoul

CX will only operate 57 outbound passenger flights from HK from 20/2.

https://mainlymiles.com/2021/02/10/cathay-pacific-axes-a-third-of-its-routes-as-aircrew-are-forced-into-quarantine/
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by MainlyMiles
For now, this new schedule is only until the end of the month. Beyond that though I think without any shift from the government, CX has little choice but to extend it, and there will be similar changes for March posted in the coming days.
Yes, I agree with you. Looks like YYZ-HKG is still operating. I wonder if CX would be willing to reroute me via YYZ? Have to check on that one.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 5:25 am

When will CX announce its summer schedule beginning 28 March 2021? Will these cancelations be likely on and after 28 March 2021?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 5:40 am

Its about time they should consider using their outport crews for cross based flying to ease this situation abit
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Yes, I agree with you. Looks like YYZ-HKG is still operating. I wonder if CX would be willing to reroute me via YYZ? Have to check on that one.
I would ask them for either YYZ or LAX, which is also operating.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:13 am

Update: I stayed up most of the night (Vancouver time) to get my flight cancellations and rescheduling sorted out. Called MPC again and inquired what was the status of my 03 Mar YVR-HKG flight. The agent said still shows as operating. I then mentioned to her that it was already publicly mentioned that CX would be cancelling services to/from Vancouver. The agent said that she had not heard of this yet (not even for Feb), so she could not do anything for my booking until there was news of any cancellations.

I hung up, and tried the CX WhatsApp service. It took a long time for them to respond (I assume they have been overwhelmed with cancellations or flight change requests). Even after the agent responded, it was still very slow going...almost 4-5 minutes between replies. To summarise:

CX Vancouver services are cancelled until 28 Mar.

I told the agent that I live and work in Hong Kong. I cannot stay until 28 Mar. Please reroute me. Is YYZ a possibility?

Agent replied yes, can do. However, the interline YVR-YYZ would be my responsibility. I responded that this would not be appropriate. They can instead just put me on the Air Canada nonstop service from YVR back to HKG.

Agent says that CX cannot offer protection on the nonstop AC service. Instead, CX will now take care of both sectors YVR-YYZ-HKG. Asked me for my preferred choice of flight dates for each sector. I responded accordingly. Agent said that she would get operations to confirm all the flight details and then get back to me.

Have not heard back yet, but it has only been three hours. So, I will give this some more time.

If all indeed gets confirmed, I will be a happy bunny. Although it did take some prodding on my part to push CX to get me back home under their responsibility, kudos to them for working this out. I guess being a Diamond member and/or booked in paid Business Class would have helped the situation?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I would ask them for either YYZ or LAX, which is also operating.
Yes, thanks. My choice would be for YYZ. Do not like going to USA so LAX not an option for me.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Update: . I guess being a Diamond member and/or booked in paid Business Class would have helped the situation?
i thought this was PEY ticket you had? out of curiosity does travel insurance any use in these situations?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:51 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
From mainlymile.com, CX will suspend services to the following destination

brisbane
frankfurt
melbourne
perth
san Francisco
vancouver
KL
ho chi minh
seoul

CX will only operate 57 outbound passenger flights from HK from 20/2.

https://mainlymiles.com/2021/02/10/cathay-pacific-axes-a-third-of-its-routes-as-aircrew-are-forced-into-quarantine/
Old Feb 10, 2021, 5:01 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by nivla83
Its about time they should consider using their outport crews for cross based flying to ease this situation abit
Their outport pilots are likely all no longer current after not having flown for a long time. Bringing them into the simulator in HKG will probably be a challenge too with all the quarantine rules.

Last edited by etkuo; Feb 10, 2021 at 10:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.