Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles extension -- does redeeming and canceling "reset" the expiry clock?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asia Miles extension -- does redeeming and canceling "reset" the expiry clock?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2021, 6:48 am

Wink

Originally Posted by percysmith
...So CX161’s great for engineering flight cancellation and clock reset. I’ve done two engineer jobs on CX161 and one more is awaiting cancellation.
Thanks, and like clockwork, the 1st of April came with a CX email saying they cancelling the flight!
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:44 am

Talking Only in 2023 your miles can be refunded as activity based.

Originally Posted by timesnaps
Thanks, and like clockwork, the 1st of April came with a CX email saying they cancelling the flight!
I called Asia Miles and this is their policy now:

If you have miles expiring in 2021, 2022, & 2023, you have to redeem an air ticket and cancel after the miles expiry date and the miles will be extended for another year. Eg: if your miles expire on 31 Jan 2022, your travel date is May 2022, you cancel in March 2022, once you cancel, your miles will expire on 31 Jan 2023. If you book another redemption ticket and you cancel again after 31 Jan 2023, your time based miles will be converted to the new activity based miles. In other words, only in 2023, Asia Miles will convert your time based miles will be converted to the new activity based miles. If you have miles expiring in 2022 and 2023, you have to book a redemption ticket 2 times.

To use 12,000 Asia Miles as the cancellation fee, you must have the 12,000 miles in your account, cannot deduct from the miles that is going to be refunded. To get free cancellation, either the airline change the timing of flight or cancel the flight.
infinitium likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: SPG Gold, CX MPC Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Apologies if this has been answered before.
Situation is
  • Redemption tickets were booked with miles which were expiring late last year.
  • Have received notification that the outbound flight booked (September 2021) has been cancelled due to operational reasons and been rebooked on another service arriving a day later than the original, which obviously isn't acceptable
Questions
  • If I was to call now and get the miles (and taxes) refunded, guess they would expire 365 days from today?
  • Or should I wait until August 2021 and then call the service centre which means the refunded miles would have an expiry date towards August 2022? Would I be challenged as to why I didn't call back in April/May?
(Our ability to travel will depend on when the Australian government will no longer require its residents to obtain permission before travelling abroad and we are more than happy to postpone until things settle down).

Thank you.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 8:05 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
You’re fine to wait til after miles anniversary date.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: SPG Gold, CX MPC Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
You’re fine to wait til after miles anniversary date.
Thanks for the prompt response, much appreciated!
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:49 pm

Just wanted to confirm but if you book a flight now and cancel later, the miles expiration gets extended a year but also cost 12k miles?
I would have booked my normal flight that I use with asia miles yvr-jfk but there are no flights. I have 87k total miles with 42.5k miles expiring in a few days and the rest of my miles on the new rules. Was wondering what my options were to use these to get an extension? Is it to book a flight for future use and hope that the flight gets cancelled and if not just cancel the flight and burn 12k miles?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:52 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Iamhappy
Apologies if this has been answered before.
Situation is
  • Redemption tickets were booked with miles which were expiring late last year.
  • Have received notification that the outbound flight booked (September 2021) has been cancelled due to operational reasons and been rebooked on another service arriving a day later than the original, which obviously isn't acceptable
Questions
  • If I was to call now and get the miles (and taxes) refunded, guess they would expire 365 days from today?
  • Or should I wait until August 2021 and then call the service centre which means the refunded miles would have an expiry date towards August 2022? Would I be challenged as to why I didn't call back in April/May?
(Our ability to travel will depend on when the Australian government will no longer require its residents to obtain permission before travelling abroad and we are more than happy to postpone until things settle down).

Thank you.
Originally Posted by snowboardpunk
Just wanted to confirm but if you book a flight now and cancel later, the miles expiration gets extended a year but also cost 12k miles?
I would have booked my normal flight that I use with asia miles yvr-jfk but there are no flights. I have 87k total miles with 42.5k miles expiring in a few days and the rest of my miles on the new rules. Was wondering what my options were to use these to get an extension? Is it to book a flight for future use and hope that the flight gets cancelled and if not just cancel the flight and burn 12k miles?
The miles will expire in your next anniversary month, if already expired, not a year from the refund date.

For Iamhappy , I believe the original expiring date of your miles was 30SEP2020, 31OCT2020, 30NOV2020, or 31DEC2020, or else you would not have been able to book SEP2021 outbound. If this is the case, it doesn't matter whether you refund now or in Aug., as the miles will be extended to same expiring date (365 days after of the original expiring date).

For ​​​​snowboardpunk , if you book now and cancel after 01MAY, your miles will be extended to 30APR2022. You can also book something way into the future, perhaps a trip you might actually take, and wait for the flight(s) to be cancelled, in which case you can refund without penalty. Others have also suggested contacting AM and see if you can participate in some kind of activities to convert your old miles to new miles in May, but that's unpublished information and you will need to speak with AM to confirm.
alvinroast likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 1:13 pm

Thanks for the help! I did chat with them a couple weeks ago and they said they couldnt do anything. But I did call yesterday and they said a week after my miles expire, I can call in to be apart of the special promo, where you transfer 3k miles into AM from two different sources within 89 days and theyll reinstate the miles.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 9:42 pm

I redeemed my miles for flights on April 2022 a few days ahead of the expiration date and cancelled them last weekend because i need to use the on another flight next month. The miles were credited back to my account but there was a penalty of 12,000 miles per ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.