Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles extension -- does redeeming and canceling "reset" the expiry clock?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asia Miles extension -- does redeeming and canceling "reset" the expiry clock?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:26 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Looks like so far they've only pared down the HKG-SYD schedule until Mar 31. But they've raised fares to 5-10x normal prices for all of April, which presumably means they are planning to cut most of those flights at some point in the future.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: Asia miles, Alaska airlines
HI All,

I've some 33000 Asia miles expiring at the end of March. I've read some of the comments @booking a unusual route for CX to cancel. I live in SFO, could someone suggest a route to "use " ? Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:51 am

Update: I received the cancellation notice for two CX 162 flights in April last week.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by cheerfulsmiles
HI All,

I've some 33000 Asia miles expiring at the end of March. I've read some of the comments @booking a unusual route for CX to cancel. I live in SFO, could someone suggest a route to "use " ? Thanks!
Welcome to FT. This is OT. So I alerted the Mod to move it to somewhere else.

But in answering your question, that's not much you can do. While what you have said is true, the problem is the miles you have. They are enough to book something, but not enough to book something unusual to force cancellation. Also - there are residual. So either you have to have more or you will have to lose some.

You may have to talk to AM or think about the merchandise option.

Last edited by sxc; Feb 8, 2021 at 6:24 pm Reason: Remove remarks redundant after move
Old Feb 9, 2021, 7:30 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by cheerfulsmiles
HI All,

Originally Posted by garykung
Welcome to FT. This is OT. So I alerted the Mod to move it to somewhere else.

But in answering your question, that's not much you can do. While what you have said is true, the problem is the miles you have. They are enough to book something, but not enough to book something unusual to force cancellation. Also - there are residual. So either you have to have more or you will have to lose some.

You may have to talk to AM or think about the merchandise option.
If OP has more than 33,000 AM, say, 44,000 AM (incl 11,000 AM not yet expiring), the Sydney Solution mentioned above is an option.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 3:16 am

Expiring Miles

I have 90,000 miles expiring in March. The inability to travel during covid has really impacted my ability to burn them. If I redeem a ticket for a trip half a year from now and then end up cancelling it later on, can I assume the miles won't be refunded back to my account since they technically should have expired had I not booked the ticket?
Old Feb 13, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by GE90-115B
I have 90,000 miles expiring in March. The inability to travel during covid has really impacted my ability to burn them. If I redeem a ticket for a trip half a year from now and then end up cancelling it later on, can I assume the miles won't be refunded back to my account since they technically should have expired had I not booked the ticket?
No, if you request for refund after 31MAR2021, the miles will be redeposited with an expiry date of 31MAR2022.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 2:12 am

Programs: Confirmed
I’ve booked a hkg-sin in Y to reset. Then I was told to pay usd 120 to redeposit the miles...

They also offered to refund the tax portion but not the miles, without this charge.

:-/ neither seems optimal..
Old Mar 17, 2021, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by SKRan
I’ve booked a hkg-sin in Y to reset. Then I was told to pay usd 120 to redeposit the miles...

They also offered to refund the tax portion but not the miles, without this charge.

:-/ neither seems optimal..
Was any segment cancelled before departure date?
Old Mar 17, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by percysmith
Was any segment cancelled before departure date?
Not yet, still showing availability.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 8:08 am

Then wait til it is

If not, SOL, US$120/12,000AM
Old Mar 28, 2021, 4:39 pm

Flight consolidation happens CX101 (prime flight)<CX139<CX111<=CX161.
Once CX consolidates flights, you have an IATA-assured right to cancel and you can trigger a clock reset.

You can commit more miles than you need for the clock reset. The excess miles come back with original expiry.
If the engineering fails, you’re out of US$120/12,000 miles per ticket anyway max - you’ll still get your clock reset.
After the flight consolidation occurs, can you just cancel it online penalty free, or do you need to call in to the service center and have them manually process it?
Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:11 pm

Call or live chat the service centre
milypan likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:39 pm

Call or live chat the service centre
Miles were successfully credited after cancelling the tickets.

Oddly, I can't find the expiration date for the new miles anywhere. The only thing it says on the Asia Miles website and app is "...miles will remain active as long as you earn or use miles at least once every 18 months." There is the footnote that this does not apply to miles credited before 31 Dec 2019, but nowhere does it say that the refunded miles are part of that tranche. Anyone else experience this? I feel like the expiry date was pretty clearly labeled in the past.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:56 pm

New rules. Your miles remain valid so long as you have some use or earn every 18 months.
milypan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.